RB Eli Sanders, how good can he be?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Brock, Silas, and Sanders all have a chance to be really good. It will be interesting to see how they develop and who performs best when the lights are the brightest. I would think that Sanders is a little behind right now since he just arrived this summer. It will be exciting to get pads on these guys and see what they can do.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Why do people keep forgetting Jirehl Brock is a stud back?
I see both sides here. Here’s my perfect dream scenario:

2021: Breece once again dominates and becomes our first 1st round selection in nearly half a century. But also gets more relief as Jirehl takes on more significant carries and becomes an effective change of pace. Sanders in his freshman year gets a few carries and shows promise when getting them.

2022: Breece declares early. Leaving Brock to finally get the spotlight as RB1. Brock thrives in his senior year, becomes a draftable NFL RB, cementing us as an RB factory with 4 RB’s drafted over a 5 year span. Eli Sanders also takes on more significant reps as a change of pace back, and ultimately becomes our lead back in 2023.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

2021: Breece once again dominates and becomes our first 1st round selection in nearly half a century. But also gets more relief as Jirehl takes on more significant carries and becomes an effective change of pace. Sanders in his freshman year gets a few carries and shows promise when getting them.

2022: Breece declares early. Leaving Brock to finally get the spotlight as RB1. Brock thrives in his senior year, becomes a draftable NFL RB, cementing us as an RB factory with 4 RB’s drafted over a 5 year span. Eli Sanders also takes on more significant reps as a change of pace back, and ultimately becomes our lead back in 2023.
Isn't Brock a redshirt sophomore this year? He would have to declare early to leave after 2022. Breece is a junior this year so I think that makes sense. I think we still see 2 years out of Brock unless he is a monster for that one season of majority carries

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Isn't Brock a redshirt sophomore this year? He would have to declare early to leave after 2022. Breece is a junior this year so I think that makes sense. I think we still see 2 years out of Brock unless he is a monster for that one season of majority carries
Was he a redshirt in 2019? I remember he got some carries in that ULM game but didn’t remember if he redshirted altogether. He could definitely be around for a couple years. If he has a great 2022 season though it would maybe be smart for him to declare.

I always think RB’s should declare early the first chance they get if they’re considered draftable within the first 3-4 rounds. It’s too much on the line.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Jirehl redshirted. So he could still have a monster ‘22 junior year, and go pro with a year (two with the COVID free pass) remaining.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Jirehl redshirted. So he could still have a monster ‘22 junior year, and go pro with a year (two with the COVID free pass) remaining.
Little off subject with this extra COVID year thing. Couldn’t most of these guys coming back next year technically go more one more year if they really wanted? Like Purdy, Kolar, Rose? I think Chase Allen, Enyi, and Eisworth would be the examples that couldn’t return right?

I’d assume Kolar wouldn’t come back for a 3rd time, since he kicked around declaring for the last two seasons. Even Purdy I would think may be ready to move on.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It is kinda fun to look back and be like “how are we going to replace freshman all American mike Warren with a better person?” Then brought in a future starting NFL running back. Then said “how are we going to replace nfl starting running back David Montgomery?” And brought in a likely Heisman candidate and another NFL draft pick in Kene. And now we’re talking about how we’re going to replace that. Brock has some big shoes to fill.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Was he a redshirt in 2019? I remember he got some carries in that ULM game but didn’t remember if he redshirted altogether. He could definitely be around for a couple years. If he has a great 2022 season though it would maybe be smart for him to declare.

I always think RB’s should declare early the first chance they get if they’re considered draftable within the first 3-4 rounds. It’s too much on the line.
It is always smart to declare for a running back. Youth and minimal carries in college help sustained success in the pros. There are only so many hits a body can take.

Reactions: aobie and heitclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Little off subject with this extra COVID year thing. Couldn’t most of these guys coming back next year technically go more one more year if they really wanted? Like Purdy, Kolar, Rose? I think Chase Allen, Enyi, and Eisworth would be the examples that couldn’t return right?

I’d assume Kolar wouldn’t come back for a 3rd time, since he kicked around declaring for the last two seasons. Even Purdy I would think may be ready to move on.
I was planning on making a post about this. The fact that these guys can take an extra year is kind of what’s keeping a rein on our recruiting numbers right now. Until they know who’s staying or not (likely January) they’re reportedly sticking around 15-18 slots.

At the moment, unless the NCAA changes things, those COVID year guys will count against the 85 limit in ‘22.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I was planning on making a post about this. The fact that these guys can take an extra year is kind of what’s keeping a rein on our recruiting numbers right now. Until they know who’s staying or not (likely January) they’re reportedly sticking around 15-18 slots.

At the moment, unless the NCAA changes things, those COVID year guys will count against the 85 limit in ‘22.
The NCAA gave a nice perk to athletes who were on a college roster in 20-21. At the same time, they really screwed over a number of high school kids who are going to miss out on an opportunity that they normally would have gotten. I wish that they would offer a better transition over the next several years. Something like in 22, count one holdover scholarship, get one free. In 23, count two, get one free. It could be back to normal after then with regular attrition.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
From the little I have heard he is the 2nd best freshman rb ob the team right now.
I think Jirehl will start next year and play the majority of minutes, and Silas/Sanders will be more of the 3rd down back role.
I see Eli Sanders as more of a do-it-all type player. Some RB, some slot WR. Not a primary back.

The primary back from that class will be Deon Silas.

But they'll both be behind Jirehl Brock for a couple years.
Brock, Silas, and Sanders all have a chance to be really good. It will be interesting to see how they develop and who performs best when the lights are the brightest. I would think that Sanders is a little behind right now since he just arrived this summer. It will be exciting to get pads on these guys and see what they can do.
I had also forgotten about Mr. Silas. I remember being pretty excited about getting him also!
Deon Silas, 2021 Running Back - Rivals.com

Reactions: bozclone