Ranking Ski Resorts

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I've pretty much read the entire thread. My afterthought being "I wish I were young again". Getting closer to retirement (the body not withstanding), I've sadly regressed from skiing. But, I recently skied Snowshoe, WV. While it can't compete with the Rockies, I was really surprised. For a full year we'd visit Snowshoe for the 'village' (as mentioned in an earlier thread it's one of two 'inverted' resorts in the US [ie village at the top of the mountain]). The views from the restaurants are fantastic. This year my local friend (whose wife is CFO of the mountain) encouraged me back on skies. My wife warned him to take it easy on me. Admittedly, I was nervous. It'd been 15 years (and several health issues) since I'd been on skies. 100 yards later, and it was me taking it easy on him. It's amazing how it all just comes back. Also, I was shocked at the experience. The mountain was bigger than I thought and perfectly sized. I know a younger me would look for the longer runs. But this was perfect: top to bottom exhausted, ski lift up just long enough to recover, and then all over again. Never had to wait in line. Never needed to stop half way down to catch my breath.

For those in the Washington, D.C. area, this is the closest (and best resort) to ski at in the vicinity. Again "Snowshoe, WV". Give it a shot.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Meanwhile, in Soviet Russia.

This is why we have safety regulations in the US. I spent a winter in Steamboat working on the mountain in the early 2000s. The braking mechanisms and testing schedule that is required in the US makes this event essentially impossible.

The first day of training we had watch a video of a lift loaded with cinder blocks in Vermont free wheel backwards. It was being torn down so they used it to show worst case examples. I think of that video every time I’m riding a lift with my kids. Even though I’m on a new super lift that’s unpowered state is fully braked and literally could not free wheel backwards.

Reactions: Doc

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This is why we have safety regulations in the US. I spent a winter in Steamboat working on the mountain in the early 2000s. The braking mechanisms and testing schedule that is required in the US makes this event essentially impossible.

The first day of training we had watch a video of a lift loaded with cinder blocks in Vermont free wheel backwards. It was being torn down so they used it to show worst case examples. I think of that video every time I’m riding a lift with my kids. Even though I’m on a new super lift that’s unpowered state is fully braked and literally could not free wheel backwards.

That's also why whenever I'm skiing in Colorado and I'm told a lift or Gondola is shut down due to high winds, I never complain.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

A lift rolled back in Maine a few years ago, although not nearly as bad as the one in Georgia.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
A lift rolled back in Maine a few years ago, although not nearly as bad as the one in Georgia.

It’s possible to have a lift roll back like this one did a small number of chairs and even that would be difficult to do. My point was mainly it’s impossible to have one free wheel or even get to the speed of the one in Georgia.

I can’t describe how insane the video of a fully loaded uphill side lift freewheeling backwards was. I wish I never would have seen it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It’s possible to have a lift roll back like this one did a small number of chairs and even that would be difficult to do. My point was mainly it’s impossible to have one free wheel or even get to the speed of the one in Georgia.

I can’t describe how insane the video of a fully loaded uphill side lift freewheeling backwards was. I wish I never would have seen it.
I think I saw that one. Was it the old double chair lift and was tossing chairs over 100 feet from the lift?

Most people don’t really think about that happening, but when you think of the physics involved, it makes you appreciate the braking system a lot more. To have all of that weight on 1 side of a long oval, going up a mountain thousands of feet. Its crazy how strong the motor needs to be to turn the lift and even stronger brakes to stop it and hold it in place.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I think I saw that one. Was it the old double chair lift and was tossing chairs over 100 feet from the lift?

Most people don’t really think about that happening, but when you think of the physics involved, it makes you appreciate the braking system a lot more. To have all of that weight on 1 side of a long oval, going up a mountain thousands of feet. Its crazy how strong the motor needs to be to turn the lift and even stronger brakes to stop it and hold it in place.

That would be it. It is terrifying.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
@Triggermv okay here are my standings as of now (subject to change going forward). Keep in mind I have more experience at Colorado so I'm excited to get more Utah experience. I think next year we talked about trying Alta/Snowbird/Brighton area but could change.

My biggest observation is that if you have a good group and good snow, just about anywhere in the Rockies can be a blast. The rankings are just based on the nitty gritty for the most part.

Personally I have two favorite types of runs. Nice fast groomers (such as Starfire at Keystone or Payday at Park City), and less steep runs that run through trees off the beaten path (Cloud 9 at Vail)...but the trees aren't so close you're afraid for your safety. I also learned while I love fresh powder, after about 5-6 inches its exhausting to curve turns into for me. We had 12 our first day this year.

Rankings:

1. Vail. This is still by far my favorite basically because of the back bowls. The views never get old, the variety of fast groomers yet tree runs. Poppyfields is probably my favorite run ever. Downside is the crowd/prices. Tons of catwalks, but I've been here enough that I usually know when to pick up speed or which catwalks to avoid.

2. Brighton. Was blown away by this place. There were runs we could just stay in the trees off the side for a long time and mess around. Also had some fast groomers. Easy to get around. Definitely my favorite resort for the value. Had a nice local feel to it. We were able to get a good local 16oz beer for only 6 bucks.

3. Keystone - Love that it has multiple mountains and the back two peaks are a blast. Beautiful views as well. Some of our group loves the terrain parks there. I'm too much of a wimp for large jumps.

4. Park City - Had some really good groomers on a beautiful cloudless day. Some runs near the back through the trees and also ones you can bomb down. A little pricey, but its a Vail resort so not surprised.

5. Breckenridge - always seems to be crowded and full of tourists but I've been enough to know where to go. A lot of runs go back to the front where the crowds are so makes it a bit harder to get around. Peak 10 has some great runs. Also love going to the peak above Peak 8.

6. Copper Mountain - only have been here once but had a great day. Lots of variety and enjoyed going to the peak here. Want to try it more.

7. Solitude: We only spent part of an afternoon here with the Sol-Bright combined pass. However, the runs we did weren't anything special compared to the morning at Brighton. Also, the snow was kind of run down/slushy. Definitely want to get here and try the runs first thing in the morning. Hopefully next year.

8. Canyons (treating this as a separate resort than Park City). I think this place has more potential but we didn't enjoy it as much due to having to wait 45 minutes for the first lift, 12" of snow in white out conditions, and couldn't seem to find any run that didn't have mogels. However, I wanna give it another shot.

9. A-Basin - loved being able to tailgate at lunch. However, with a lot of this resort above the treeline, lots of ice at the top runs we ran into.

10. Afton Alps - you just can't compare the midwest with the Rockies

11. Sun Down

12. Mount Kato

13. Seven Oaks

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Good time to revive this thread as I've already taken a couple ski trips out west this year and am leaving for another next week. My first trip was in mid-December to Colorado Springs for a wedding where I just shot off to A-Basin for a day, which I've already skied before. However, for mid-December, we actually had pretty decent snow, which was pretty nice, especially exploring the newly opened Beavers lift area. There is some fun terrain back there.

My latest trip I took with my wife a couple weeks back was to Jackson where I skied Jackson Hole a couple days and another small resort called Snow King for a day as well. This was my first Wyoming ski trip ever and it has been on my bucket list for a long time. I'll have to say that it did not disappoint in the slightest. The terrain and snow there is crazy and it does not take long to quickly realize why Jackson makes #1, if not at least top 3, on every North American ski resort rankings out there. The place is not for the feint of heart though, as it is probably the steepest on average place I've ever skied, even more so than a place like Snowbird. Shoot, even the other little resort called Snow King we skied right there in Jackson was super steep too, even though it was just a small little thing. In fact, the U.S. Olympic team apparently trains there at times due to that reason. With all that said, I'd highly recommend Jackson to anyone out there. One thing to note is that while it isn't the most expensive place I've skied from a cost perspective overall, I'd hardly call it a place for someone on a tight budget either.

Side-Note- The Jackson airport is absolutely incredible and stunning. It is by far the coolest airport I've ever been in.

When I get a chance, I'll just back in here and update my rankings to include these two new resorts like I usually do. My upcoming trip next week is to Utah where I'll be hitting up both Alta and Snowbird again, and then Snowbasin for the first time ever. This year due to my trips, I picked up the Mountain Collective Pass.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Good time to revive this thread as I've already taken a couple ski trips out west this year and am leaving for another next week. My first trip was in mid-December to Colorado Springs for a wedding where I just shot off to A-Basin for a day, which I've already skied before. However, for mid-December, we actually had pretty decent snow, which was pretty nice, especially exploring the newly opened Beavers lift area. There is some fun terrain back there.

My latest trip I took with my wife a couple weeks back was to Jackson where I skied Jackson Hole a couple days and another small resort called Snow King for a day as well. This was my first Wyoming ski trip ever and it has been on my bucket list for a long time. I'll have to say that it did not disappoint in the slightest. The terrain and snow there is crazy and it does not take long to quickly realize why Jackson makes #1, if not at least top 3, on every North American ski resort rankings out there. The place is not for the feint of heart though, as it is probably the steepest on average place I've ever skied, even more so than a place like Snowbird. Shoot, even the other little resort called Snow King we skied right there in Jackson was super steep too, even though it was just a small little thing. In fact, the U.S. Olympic team apparently trains there at times due to that reason. With all that said, I'd highly recommend Jackson to anyone out there. One thing to note is that while it isn't the most expensive place I've skied from a cost perspective overall, I'd hardly call it a place for someone on a tight budget either.

Side-Note- The Jackson airport is absolutely incredible and stunning. It is by far the coolest airport I've ever been in.

When I get a chance, I'll just back in here and update my rankings to include these two new resorts like I usually do. My upcoming trip next week is to Utah where I'll be hitting up both Alta and Snowbird again, and then Snowbasin for the first time ever. This year due to my trips, I picked up the Mountain Collective Pass.

So, now that I've posted my full-out review of Jackson Hole and Snow King after my recent Wyoming ski trip, I figured I'd do my usual rankings update to include them:

1. Jackson Hole (Wyoming) - Best terrain, Steepest Terrain, Coolest tram, 5-way tie for best snow, best for expert skiers, 2nd best views, Beautiful resort, Lots of vertical feet, Good lifts, Little spendy, Big resort
  2. Snowbird (Utah) - 5-way tie for best snow, 2nd Best Terrain, 2nd Steepest terrain, 2nd best for expert skiers, 3nd best views, good lifts with a tram, fun tunnel to backside, crowds can get bad
  3. Whistler Blackcomb (British Columbia, Canada) - Biggest resort in North America, Longest vertical feet by far, Crazy-long fun Peak to Creek run to do 5,000 vertical feet, Best views, 4th best terrain, Best ski village, Good lifts, Good value (due to US dollar), Decent snow, Little crowded
  4. Alta (Utah) - 5-way tie for best snow, 3nd best terrain (fairly extreme terrain), Good for Expert Skiers (hard terrain, but a little lighter than Snowbird), Best Value, No boarders allowed
  5. Solitude (Utah) - 5-way tie for best snow, Awesome terrain, highest chance of getting untouched terrain, 2nd Smallest Lines, Best tree Runs, Too Many Slow Lifts, 2nd Best Value, Similar to Brighton, only a little bigger, and a little more challenging
  6. Keystone (Colorado) - 2nd Best Tree Runs, Best Lifts, Best Night Skiing, Fun Snowcat Skiing
  7. Vail (Colorado) - 3rd Biggest Resort, Nicest Resort, Great Runs, Best Back Bowls, One of the Best Ski Towns, Too Many Catwalks
  8. Brighton (Utah) - Very Simple and Laid Back (I like), 5-way tie for Best Snow, Great Tree Runs, Smallest Lines, 3nd Best Value, Best Place to Take Young Family For Value Skiing
  9. Kirkwood - (California) - Almost an exact blend of Alta and Brighton, only with not as good and consistent of snow and too many slow lifts, 3nd Smallest Lines, 4th Best Value, Very Laid-Back, Fairly Challenging Terrain, Not great lifts
  10. Heavenly - (California) - 4th Best Views (mostly due to the lake), Nice Resort, One of Best Ski Towns, 4th Largest Resort, Great Runs, Great Lifts, Good Tree Runs, Best for Skiing in T-Shirt, Worst Consistent Snow
  11. Copper Mountain (Colorado) - 4th Best Value (best in Colorado, especially when using coupons), Nice Runs Overall, Smaller Lift Lines, Free Snowcat Skiing, More Laid-Back
  12. Park City Mountain Resort (Utah) - 2nd Biggest Resort Now That Combined With Canyons (I skied it prior to being combined), Coolest Town Setting, 3rd Nicest Resort, Great Lifts, So-So Views, Decent Snow
  13. Breckenridge (Colorado) - Decent Overall, Very Busy, Too Many Boarders, Good Lifts, Cool Ski Town
  14. A-Basin (Colorado) - Very High Altitude, Very Cold, Great Views, Smaller Resort, Great Terrain, Fairly Difficult Overall, Best Food, Cheapest and Best Food (ribs are incredible), Terrible Lifts (only one speed lift), 2nd Best Value in Colorado, Very Laid-Back, Kind of a Blend of Kirkwood and Alta With Less Speed Lifts
  15. Loveland - Very High Altitude, Very Cold, So-So Views, Smaller Resort, So-So Terrain, Not Super Difficult, Great Food, Terrible Lifts (zero speed lifts), Very Laid-Back, Good Value
  16. Sunrise Park (Arizona) - Fun Place, Not Colorado or Utah, Still Lots Better Than Iowa
  17. Snow King Mountain (Wyoming) - Fun enough place, Very steep terrain for a small resort, Super good value, Good snow, The smallest crowds you might get anywhere (nobody skis here), Very cold skiing since mountain faces North and the sun never touches it)
  18. Chestnut Mountain (Illinois) - I Like the Runs, Resort Area, and Views Better than Sundown, Little further drive than Sundown, Underrated for being in Midwest
  19. Sundown (Iowa) - Closest Ski Resort, Best in Iowa, Rentals are terrible and the place is kind of a dump, but decent runs for Iowa
  20. Mount Kato (Minnesota) - Better and larger than expected, but has half the vertical feet of both Sundown and Chestnut. Kind of a bit of a dump similar to Sundown.

Again, next up is a Utah trip next week where I'll get to add Snowbasin to this list.

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Going to Utah the end of February. I was debating on just sticking to 1 or 2 mountains but being that I've heard so many good things may have to get the pass and visit 3 or 4.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Heading to Breckenridge at the end of Feb.

Question for those that have gone to both:
What would be more expensive, a trip to Whistler or Jackson Hole? Would be flying and on the mountain for 4 days.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Going to Utah the end of February. I was debating on just sticking to 1 or 2 mountains but being that I've heard so many good things may have to get the pass and visit 3 or 4.

You don't really have to get a pass necessarily depending on how many days you are skiing. The nice thing about Utah is for most the resorts, they sell discounted lift tickets in Salt Lake City rental shops. All the rental shops have the same discounted rate, so here is one as an example.

https://www.skinsee.com/discount-lift-tickets

Therefore, you can literally wait until the day of to decide where you want to go, then just drop by a shop and pick up the ticket.

Reactions: Cyowan008

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Heading to Breckenridge at the end of Feb.

Question for those that have gone to both:
What would be more expensive, a trip to Whistler or Jackson Hole? Would be flying and on the mountain for 4 days.

A lot of what is cheapest depends on your flight prices and then where and how you are staying. Utah would be cheaper across the board in general for all of them.

Breckenridge might have the cheapest flights to Denver, but it would have the highest lift tickets, highest lodging cost to stay on mountain, most expensive food, you'd have to rent a car, you'd have a decently long drive to the mountain, highest crowds, worst snow.

Whistler (Vancouver airport) weirdly for me has fairly inexpensive flights a lot of times, so on average, 2nd cheapest flights. Then, when it comes to lift tickets, lodging, food, and car rental, I'd call everything else to be comparable to Breckinridge prices, HOWEVER, that is in Canadian dollars, not US dollars. Therefore, once you take that 1 USD equals 1 Canadian dollar, that suddenly makes everything significantly cheaper. Otherwise, snow here is pretty good, crowds depend on the day, you have a decent drive to the mountain ,but it is a beautiful drive, and the mountain is monstrous.

Jackson Hole might be your highest plane ticket of the bunch, but maybe not. While still fairly expensive, its lift tickets are going to be the cheapest. Then its car rental, food and lodging will likely land somewhere between Breckenridge and Whistler if you are staying on-mountain. However, you can save some serious dough and be cheaper than both if you were to stay in Jackson. Otherwise, you are going to get your best terrain and snow here, but everything is fairly high-level skiing. Unlike Whistler and Breckenridge, you could easily get by here without a rental car.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
A lot of what is cheapest depends on your flight prices and then where and how you are staying. Utah would be cheaper across the board in general for all of them.

Breckenridge might have the cheapest flights to Denver, but it would have the highest lift tickets, highest lodging cost to stay on mountain, most expensive food, you'd have to rent a car, you'd have a decently long drive to the mountain, highest crowds, worst snow.

Whistler (Vancouver airport) weirdly for me has fairly inexpensive flights a lot of times, so on average, 2nd cheapest flights. Then, when it comes to lift tickets, lodging, food, and car rental, I'd call everything else to be comparable to Breckinridge prices, HOWEVER, that is in Canadian dollars, not US dollars. Therefore, once you take that 1 USD equals 1 Canadian dollar, that suddenly makes everything significantly cheaper. Otherwise, snow here is pretty good, crowds depend on the day, you have a decent drive to the mountain ,but it is a beautiful drive, and the mountain is monstrous.

Jackson Hole might be your highest plane ticket of the bunch, but maybe not. While still fairly expensive, its lift tickets are going to be the cheapest. Then its car rental, food and lodging will likely land somewhere between Breckenridge and Whistler if you are staying on-mountain. However, you can save some serious dough and be cheaper than both if you were to stay in Jackson. Otherwise, you are going to get your best terrain and snow here, but everything is fairly high-level skiing. Unlike Whistler and Breckenridge, you could easily get by here without a rental car.
Thanks, yeah I was pleasantly surprised when looking at flights to Vancouver. Jackson on the other hand, the flight is going to be pretty expensive.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Gotta pitch Snowshoe again for you East coast people. The coolest thing new this year is that the resort was purchased by Alterra. For those in the know Alterra owns, among others, Winter Park, Squaw Valley/Alpine, Mammoth, Big Bear, Solitude, and Crystal Mountain. So, a transfer package is a really sweet deal. Having also lived in San Francisco, this is especially great for me as I can ski for a fraction of the cost at Squaw.

• Informative
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Great time to revive this thread once again.

I will be skiing Copper and A Basin in January. Does anyone have any advice on either?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Great time to revive this thread once again.

I will be skiing Copper and A Basin in January. Does anyone have any advice on either?
Love Copper. They also installed a new lift in their back bowls that opens this season.
Some great blue runs under the Timberline Lift. Lift lines are never too long either, especially compared to any of the Vail Resorts. You can also score cheap lift tickets for $69 (at least you could a couple years ago at area grocery stores).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron