Ranking Ski Resorts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It still kind of kills me that you are finally giving Utah a shot and planning on sticking only to Park City. Since I know you are used to Colorado, I'm not sure Park City will give you a whole lot outside of what you are used to in Colorado with its expensive tickets, food, lodging, and Colorado comparable snow. Yes, it is a VERY cool ski town. However, if you are going to Utah for Utah runs and Utah snow, you just aren't really going to get it there. Those are found up at the Cottonwood resorts mostly. Therefore, if I can at least plead anything with you, it would be to use that last day of skiing as a trek over to Snowbird (Alta is no-boarders). Truthfully, I'm not sure how you can ski Utah without skiing Snowbird for a day. Plus, you'd get your first tram experience too. There is none of those in Colorado.

The group decided Park City. I'm honestly fine with anywhere. Just fun to get away and not have to worry about keeping 3 kids alive for a few days :)

I think the last day we might trek over to one of the Cottonwood resorts. If the weather is bad, worst case scenario, we decide if we want to do Park City again or Deer Valley and make the boarder ski ha!

Reactions: pulse and Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The group decided Park City. I'm honestly fine with anywhere. Just fun to get away and not have to worry about keeping 3 kids alive for a few days :)

I think the last day we might trek over to one of the Cottonwood resorts. If the weather is bad, worst case scenario, we decide if we want to do Park City again or Deer Valley and make the boarder ski ha!

Snowbasin is also a decent possibility for you guys based on your location. I've never been there, but always wanted to go. Hear it is really good.

Reactions: mj4cy

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
I heard the following joke from a lift ticket operator out in Keystone back in the mid 90's before they allowed them:

"What does a vacuum cleaner and snow board have in common? They both have a dirt bag attached to them."

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Hilarious video from the 80s about how skiers hated snowboarders at first.....eerily similar to videos I've seen from the 50s/60s of white people down south.

Holy. Crap. That one dude is amazing. “They don’t listen to our side”. Hahaha so good.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
This thread makes me want to watch the movie Ski School.

jRvsE4wR82sGzz5yIIOCRsoJJhM.jpg
Ski patrol is way better.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
A little dramatic... sure. However, there is a pretty drastic difference in look and feel alone between Park City and Snowbird. The terrain is fairly different. It would almost be like comparing A-Basin to Vail. Even the difference in terrain between the little and big cottonwood resorts is fairly noticeable.

Agreed. We leave for our Utah trip in 2 weeks; we're doing Snowbird twice because we liked it so much last year. Park City is great for a casual riding and multiple stops for brews.

Reactions: mj4cy

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I haven't been to more than a handful of resorts outside of the midwest, but as for Rocky Mountain trails, The run from the top of Mary Jane all the way down to the bottom lodge at Winter Park was as enjoyable of a ride I've ever been on.

The top of that run is my phone background. The snow isn't always great, but I struggle to branch out beyond that run because it's so much fun.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Skiied Jackson Hole a few days ago. Lots of great times there over spring break with the ISU Ski club. Skiied Grand Targhee the next day for the first time, great fresh powder. Deer Valley yesterday. Sorry to report it's thin out here in Utah. Park City today, maybe Alta or Snowbird tomorrow.

Reactions: Triggermv

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Just finished three days of skiing at Keystone with some buddies. The new condo worked out great and we logged a crap ton of runs. I think we hit 95,000 vertical feet. Got a few inches of snow today while we skied, great week.

Reactions: Triggermv and NWICY

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Heading to Steamboat next week. Really wish I was going to be there over the next few days. Forecast looks great!

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Agreed. We leave for our Utah trip in 2 weeks; we're doing Snowbird twice because we liked it so much last year. Park City is great for a casual riding and multiple stops for brews.

Got back from the trip yesterday, Snowbird was great. We spent one day on the front and the other day on the backside (Mineral Basin). Park City was not in great shape, it was as icy as Seven Oaks in early March. If anyone is heading there soon I would recommend a different mountain.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
CO is finally getting some good snow. The weekend saw a fair amount up north and today the San Juan's are getting hit pretty good. Should be good skiing for the next few days.

Hopefully the snowpack can turn it around Feb, March, and April.

upload_2018-2-12_16-9-50.png

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I started a thread on this last year after my trip to Utah, and since I've taken a new ski trip to Lake Tahoe this year (skied Heavenly and Kirkwood), I figured it would be worth updating and resurfacing this topic for some fun discussion for all you avid skiers out there. With that said, the following is my updated rankings of all the ski resorts I've been to in my lifetime and a bit of why I chose them that way. Feel free to post your own lists as well or simply just critique mine.

1. Alta (Utah) - Best snow, Best Terrain (especially extreme terrain), Best for Expert Skiers (everything is harder at Alta... greens, blues, blacks, double-blacks), No boarders allowed
2. Keystone (Colorado) - Best Tree Runs, Best Lifts, Best Night Skiing, Fun Snowcat Skiing
3. Vail (Colorado) - Biggest Resort by Far, Nicest Resort, Great Runs, Best Back Bowls, One of the Best Ski Towns, Too Many Catwalks
4. Brighton (Utah) - Very Simple and Laid Back (I like), 2nd Best Snow, Great Tree Runs, Smallest Lines, 2nd Best Value (I call Brighton Alta-Light)
5. Kirkwood - new (California) - Almost an exact blend of Alta and Brighton, only with not as good and consistent of snow and too many slow lifts, 2nd Smallest Lines, 3rd Best Value, Very Laid-Back, Fairly Challenging Terrain, Worst Lifts
6. Heavenly - new (California) - Best Views by Far, 2nd Nicest Resort, One of Best Ski Towns, 2nd Largest Resort, Great Runs, Great Lifts, Good Tree Runs, Best for Skiing in T-Shirt, Worst Consistent Snow
7. Copper Mountain (Colorado) - Best Value, Nice Runs Overall, Smaller Lift Lines, Free Snowcat Skiing, More Laid-Back
8. Park City Mountain Resort (Utah) - Coolest Town Setting, Big Resort, Good Lifts, So-So Views, Decent Snow
9. Breckenridge (Colorado) - Decent Overall, Very Busy, Too Many Boarders, Good Lifts, Cool Ski Town
10. Sunrise Park (Arizona) - Fun Place, Not Colorado or Utah, Still Lots Better Than Iowa
11. Chestnut Mountain (Illinois) - I Like the Runs, Resort Area, and Views Better than Sundown, Little further drive than Sundown, Underrated for being in Midwest
12. Sundown (Iowa) - Closest Ski Resort, Best in Iowa

Big Sky

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Some friends and I are loading up to drive out to Breckenridge from Ankeny friday. We have an airbnb and we are going to explore the town saturday/sunday. Plannning on going to copper mountain to ski though as it's cheaper. Any suggestions or tips for this trip?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Some friends and I are loading up to drive out to Breckenridge from Ankeny friday. We have an airbnb and we are going to explore the town saturday/sunday. Plannning on going to copper mountain to ski though as it's cheaper. Any suggestions or tips for this trip?
Moose Jaw in Frisco has some amazing burgers.
It’s like a small local bar/restaurant.
We make sure to go there once every trip when we are in the area. Would be perfect to hit up after a day on the slopes on your way back home.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So I didn't realize it but I'm leaving in 2.5 weeks for Utah. I've done literally no pre-skiing workouts to get the legs in shape. Any quick tips as to what to do even around the house the next 2 weeks? I've read to just do wall squats and side to side box jumps.

I meant to do more working out but chasing around 3 kids and choosing to drink beer and watch hoops has really cut into my personal health time :)

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
We skied Copper in late January. Good base, only saw a couple rocks, and they have been getting good snow since.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
So I didn't realize it but I'm leaving in 2.5 weeks for Utah. I've done literally no pre-skiing workouts to get the legs in shape. Any quick tips as to what to do even around the house the next 2 weeks? I've read to just do wall squats and side to side box jumps.

I meant to do more working out but chasing around 3 kids and choosing to drink beer and watch hoops has really cut into my personal health time :)

Just do squats everyday for the next 2 weeks and you'll fine. You can even multitask and do it while drinking beer and watching hoops.