Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But Saturday's win was a pretty good win over a ranked opponent too, right? You can only play the teams on your schedule with the players they have available to play.

Also, didn't UNI just beat Nebraska? They may be a pretty damned good team.

You wave at that homeless guy this morning?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
welp, volleyball to be interesting tonight.

We've been playing with 7 people and playoffs for the league are typically 2 weeks so we're like we good at the start of the season. Start the season and realize that playoffs go 3 weeks this one for some reason. Even our ref last week was surprised at that. Realized that our BFF couple will be on vacation for the final week and the league now has super strict rules about subs because people were being dicks and pulling in ringers for the playoffs.

But we are allowed one sub in the playoffs so I figured we'll deal with finding someone if we win tonight. Well, the couple mentioned, the husband has had a parent relapse with cancer earlier this year and wife messaged this morning that the parent had passed over the weekend. It's all quite sad though not entirely unexpected as they had made the decision to move to hospice mid-summer and the husband has been spending a lot of time going back and forth to spend time with parent. TBH, I'm relieved for them that it happened before they leave (this coming weekend!) for a two week trip to Europe. It would have been very difficult to enjoy (or even go) had parent been that close though I'm sure they'll be sad anyway. Probably makes me terrible but I'm just really glad they can go and not have to feel guilty or potentially not have been there when parent passed. It's been a rough few months with the back and forth and I am relieved for them that they are hopefully done with that.

Anyway, so obviously neither of them are going to be playing volleyball tonight. Meaning we're at 5 people now. We played with 5 to open the season and lost 2-1 against the 2nd seed (we are 4th). The team we have tonight is not as good as that team and we've improved. Another player messaged and is like should we get two subs?? What do we do??

I'm like well first, we can only have one sub. And I guess I'd rather we try to play tonight with 5 and then try to get a sub for next week's potential double-header against teams seeded higher than us. I don't think it does us much good to play with the sub tonight against a team I think we can beat and then be down a player against better teams next week. I'm sure person messaging will want me to go to the league runner and ask for special consideration for the circumstances but I'm like whatevs. He also wanted me to ask about getting a refund on the game last week when the other team forfeited.

ok, they messaged saying that sounds good so I guess we are a go then.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyrevkah

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
While you're down there, maybe you should help out with getting things ready for auction.

I have an 6 ton 1950's massive chest freezer to try and get out of the basement. I ain't going to try and wrestle that out. Don't even think it would go around the stairs half wall that was ended in the 1960's. Probably have to take the sawsall to it but have two concerns (1) whatever the coolant used in it is (2) possible asbestos in the insulation. Might have to hire it done but who do you find to do that?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have an 6 ton 1950's massive chest freezer to try and get out of the basement. I ain't going to try and wrestle that out. Don't even think it would go around the stairs half wall that was ended in the 1960's. Probably have to take the sawsall to it but have two concerns (1) whatever the coolant used in it is (2) possible asbestos in the insulation. Might have to hire it done but who do you find to do that?

Wimp.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

You can just keep it in there if it still works. I'll use it when I inherit the house.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
But Saturday's win was a pretty good win over a ranked opponent too, right? You can only play the teams on your schedule with the players they have available to play.

Also, didn't UNI just beat Nebraska? They may be a pretty damned good team.

Creighton was the ranked team - they still took us to 5. I have serious doubts we would have won if their setter was on the floor. It's still a good win for us, and will count as a ranked win but recognize that being down an AA setter severely weakened them.

That UNI beat Nebby is good........but Nebby's ranking is pretty much all based on rep and last year. They are considerably down this season with the twins and Wong-Orantes graduating. They should not have still had a top 10 ranking.
UNI will certainly be ranked today though, and deservedly so. Makes me feel much better about that loss. I'd like to have that match back with Rhodes subbed in for Miranda. Oh well, sometimes it takes a loss to get the changes. Our blocking was tremendous (like, I think we might be leading the Big 12 in that stat - I've NEVER seen us above mid-pack at this point) and our passing seemed much improved from the UNI game and even the wins from last weekend. We'll see if we stick with the 5-1 now.

All in all, it was a good week for us and I think our ranking will move up a bit. I think ~19 is about where we belong though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

May cost a couple extra buck but call a temp service for manual labor. I had a co-worker (about mid sixties at time) tell me that last time they moved, they did this. Had one freezer that stayed at the house and one that they were taking and would then haul the other freezer contents over later. She said her husband was slave driving these guys and they were gassed afterwards. She later went out o get the contents and found an empty freezer, turns out hubby had them load the loaded freezer. They wouldn't come back to help the next day.

• Funny
Reactions: SCyclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Someone brought in pumpkin pie today

200.webp

.....but no whipped cream

200.webp

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
Saturday night, the wife and I were sans child. We went to a nearby Mexican restaurant, sat in the bar, had chips and salsa and some massive margaritas. We watched Sporting KC win, KState lose, and then had more massive margaritas.

I pretty much nailed Saturday from beginning to end.
If I had to peg a perfect saturday this would be it

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Saturday night, the wife and I were sans child. We went to a nearby Mexican restaurant, sat in the bar, had chips and salsa and some massive margaritas. We watched Sporting KC win, KState lose, and then had more massive margaritas.

I pretty much nailed Saturday from beginning to end.

I'm pretty sure that's an euphemism;). Nice job on the humble brag. :)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
CG's cancer/hospice/volleyball post reminded me of friend who is currently using me as sounding board for mother in hospice with congestive heart failure. Has had macular degeneration and hearing problems and is depressed and just wants to die. And friend is getting depressed and exhausted by it all. I understand it, but with my parents having been gone so long, I would give about anything for five more seconds with them. Told husband this, he responds, "what would you give for five seconds less with my mom." Good point. Gotta love him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron