Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
KC how was your concert?
We were just a small part of it. It was fun - most of the choirs were church choirs; there was a wide variety of gospel and classical. The Ames Youth Chorus did a gospel tune that I was very familiar with as it was a favorite in a former choir of mine, and I got to do a jazzed-up freestyle riff on the verses when we sang it. Really enjoyed the kids' performance.

BTW - if any locals are interested, our group has a concert on Sunday, 15 December. Message me if you're interested in tickets. We're doing a handful of chorale songs and a Magnificat.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I just watched the end of the Vikings/Cowboys game. Last throw was a 50+ yard Hail Mary by Dallas. When they cut to the endzone, it was like a feeding frenzy in an aquarium...a scrum of about 16 guys all in the right end of the endzone. It looked hilarious!

Spoiler - it ended up in the hands of a Viking. It was the first (and only) interception of the game.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We were just a small part of it. It was fun - most of the choirs were church choirs; there was a wide variety of gospel and classical. The Ames Youth Chorus did a gospel tune that I was very familiar with as it was a favorite in a former choir of mine, and I got to do a jazzed-up freestyle riff on the verses when we sang it. Really enjoyed the kids' performance.

BTW - if any locals are interested, our group has a concert on Sunday, 15 December. Message me if you're interested in tickets. We're doing a handful of chorale songs and a Magnificat.
I aways thought Magnificat was a specific song. is it a type of song?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I aways thought Magnificat was a specific song. is it a type of song?
I think it is, if you're Catholic (I'm not). Otherwise, it's typically a cantata with a number of movements in different forms.
This is "Magnificat in A Minor", written in 1745 by Nicola Porpora (if you want to look it up). Six movements; source text is Luke 1: 46-55.
It's been a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time since I've sung in Latin (really, not since college). One of the songs goes so fast I feel like I'm only getting every third or fourth syllable right!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Had a blast at SIL's wedding this weekend. Wedding was at St. Boniface Catholic Church in Waukee. Bride was brought up Lutheran (and converted to Catholicism), and groom of course grew up a mackerel-snapper Catholic. Was kinda funny watching during Communion as one side of the Sanctuary got up and the other one didn't.

Reception was at the Hilton Garden Inn in WDM. Food was surprisingly good (choice of chicken or beef). My BIL got way too drunk way too early and his wife had to take him up to their room. :rolleyes: The vixen and I danced until about 11:30, and by then I was ready for bed.

Followed the football game on my phone, took great pleasure in announcing (loudly) that the Cyclones had scored to get within 1 point at the end. Not so much fun after that, though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sister is in the hospital, 3 cm dilated amd they are breaking her water. Not exactly sure what all that means, but Im assuming goods things?

as long as she was due about now, those are mostly good things. Little early to break water but maybe she wasn't moving along as they wanted.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Quick weekend in Chi-town to see Hamilton + dinner. Little man hung with cousins for the afternoon and despite my bit of nervousness at that (plus literally only having like 25 minutes there before we had to leave - DH didn't check train times before we left) he did really well and had fun. We walked around downtown for a while and got to see some sights. Musical was fantastic.

Though last night I was reading about the current lead and
there's a part where Hamilton's son died and they sing a song about parents going through the unimaginable

It turns out that the lead's 3 year old daughter died of a seizure disorder in late October and he'd only just come back to the stage again. So that is terrible to read.

Reactions: wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.