Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I wish there was a button or switch to skip all political advertising on radio, TV and internet for those of us who have already voted. Even before that, I wanted to throw things at the television. Everything is so repetitious and general, it grates on my true journalism background. Many years ago when we moved into a house where the previous owners had just stopped paying their mortgage :) there were boxes of books in the attic. I found a small one titled "How to Lie with Statistics" and wondered why those who knew how to do that would want to share their secrets with the world. Wish I still had that book. I'd like to know who wrote it.
Most likely Darrell Huff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I would bet that 90+% of people surveyed would have the same general opinion about campaign advertising - it does more harm than good. Anyone I talk to either ignores the ads or (like me) mutes the TV. Nobody provides any positive information. It's all "My opponent worships the devil!"

What a cesspool American politics has morphed into. (Sorry @Ms3r4ISU, I shouldn't have ended that sentence with a proposition.)

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I would bet that 90+% of people surveyed would have the same general opinion about campaign advertising - it does more harm than good. Anyone I talk to either ignores the ads or (like me) mutes the TV. Nobody provides any positive information. It's all "My opponent worships the devil!"

What a cesspool American politics has morphed into. (Sorry @Ms3r4ISU, I shouldn't have ended that sentence with a proposition.)
100% agreed

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I wish there was a button or switch to skip all political advertising on radio, TV and internet for those of us who have already voted. Even before that, I wanted to throw things at the television. Everything is so repetitious and general, it grates on my true journalism background. Many years ago when we moved into a house where the previous owners had just stopped paying their mortgage :) there were boxes of books in the attic. I found a small one titled "How to Lie with Statistics" and wondered why those who knew how to do that would want to share their secrets with the world. Wish I still had that book. I'd like to know who wrote it.

That would be cool if you're registered to somehow not receive any political ads when you vote early. I don't see how that could be possible with tv commercials and radio ads, but it would be nice to at least eliminate the phone calls and texts.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Watched the "new" Pet Semetary last night with Mrs. Velo. I don't think I had ever seen all of the original. Now I am going to have to read the book since I can't imagine King leaving the ending like that.
Never watched the new one. I guess I should to see what happens at the ending. I remember the ending from the book.
Have the new one set to watch - saw the old one.

Moviemakers have a tendency to change King's endings, to make them more "palatable". They did a number on Cujo...

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
The ones against Hart are apparently directed at a tweenager mentality.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

We TIVO everything we're interested in and watch it 15 minutes to a half hour later so that we can zap through the commercials. Even the nightly news.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
That would be cool if you're registered to somehow not receive any political ads when you vote early. I don't see how that could be possible with tv commercials and radio ads, but it would be nice to at least eliminate the phone calls and texts.
And a mailbox full of the remains of twelve trees every day...

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
It would be nice to eliminate spam calls and text regardless of who/what they are from. The texts annoy me more than the calls because I know almost all calls I get are spam but a text gets me excited to see who is texting and then its just political. Also, all the political texts I get are from Iowa and addressed to my dad, once got one with my step-moms name and once with my sisters name. Really weird.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
It would be nice to eliminate spam calls and text regardless of who/what they are from. The texts annoy me more than the calls because I know almost all calls I get are spam but a text gets me excited to see who is texting and then its just political. Also, all the political texts I get are from Iowa and addressed to my dad, once got one with my step-moms name and once with my sisters name. Really weird.

I get my wife's name more often than my own in the texts, and she says she gets my name pretty often too. That right there makes it so much more annoying.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
From 2 weeks ago:

Lew just answered my phone because he was closer to it. This was the conversation:
Lew: hello?
Caller: I'd like to speak to Lewis XXXXXX.
Lew: why don't you call his phone then?
Caller: this isn't his number?
Lew: no. This is my wife's phone.
***pause***
Caller: um, okay. Thank you. ***hangs up***
Lew (to me): man, I love f*cking with those people!

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I get my wife's name more often than my own in the texts, and she says she gets my name pretty often too. That right there makes it so much more annoying.
I get more for people I don't even know than my own. A girl in Iowa named Rebecca must have either had my phone number before I did or given them the wrong number because especially leading up to the caucuses I got a lot of political texts for Rebecca

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
From 2 weeks ago:

Lew just answered my phone because he was closer to it. This was the conversation:
***pause***
We have a last name that people often get wrong, so whenever my dad gets telemarketer (and sometimes political) calls where they mispronounce our name he'll just say they have the wrong number and hang up.

Reactions: SaraV

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
We have a last name that people often get wrong, so whenever my dad gets telemarketer (and sometimes political) calls where they mispronounce our name he'll just say they have the wrong number and hang up.

I usually say there's nobody here by that name when a telemarketer mispronounces my last name.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
From 2 weeks ago:

***pause***
Why didn't I ever think of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.