Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not gonna start a new thread...any recs for a fitbit/smartwatch type of device that's not actually those, i.e. something less expensive and less 'techy'?

Basically just looking to know time and steps/mileage in a day.

And, can you turn off the 'message notifications' on these? I like to separate myself from being contacted and/or know I'm being contacted.
On most of them you can turn the notifications off. Unlike you, I got my Fitbit specifically for the notifications. During one big years-long project I was in so many meetings daily that I just turned the ringer off on my phone permanently. I had it on vibrate but with the case I could rarely feel it in my pocket so the notifications on the Fitbit where the only way I would know I had a call or text.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah basically just looking for: time, and steps/mileage in a day.

My Garmin will track runs and distance, and has a heart rate monitor option, but otherwise just tells time.
You could have it do mileage for a day, I think. Just start the run thing, switch over to normal watch mode, and I believe it would run in the background.

Reactions: cyrevkah

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not gonna start a new thread...any recs for a fitbit/smartwatch type of device that's not actually those, i.e. something less expensive and less 'techy'?

Basically just looking to know time and steps/mileage in a day.

And, can you turn off the 'message notifications' on these? I like to separate myself from being contacted and/or know I'm being contacted.

roll of duct tape and your phone.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and madguy30

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m starting to dislike the part time job. I started it to help pay for the kiddos school and have extra cash and just make a few bucks in the winter. With mom passing, I will be in a little better financial shape and this job is too busy in the summer and slow in the winter. I wanted to opposite.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We've been catching up on a new show via On Demand, and I know it's stupid...but it really REALLY ticks me off when they're trying to teach someone to waltz, and they're playing a song in 4/4 time AND calling it a waltz!!! Grrrrrrrrr...

That would be a real challenge.....trying to learn to waltz in 4/4. You'd have to hesitate for one count, I guess.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We've been catching up on a new show via On Demand, and I know it's stupid...but it really REALLY ticks me off when they're trying to teach someone to waltz, and they're playing a song in 4/4 time AND calling it a waltz!!! Grrrrrrrrr...

That would be a real challenge.....trying to learn to waltz in 4/4. You'd have to hesitate for one count, I guess.

No clue what you codgers are talking about. Like when BDK was talking rap artists with someone.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Lew & I used to go dancing a lot, to C&W music. Unlike Strauss waltzes, country waltzes can often have a soft downbeat. There were times that I had to count a couple of bars for him before he could hear the 3-count. Once he got the beat in his head, though, we were golden.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
No clue what you codgers are talking about. Like when BDK was talking rap artists with someone.
Ever seen ballroom dancing in a movie, where they take one big step & two little steps and kind of twirl their way around the floor in a circle? That's usually a waltz. You hear the count as ONE two three ONE two three. 4/4 beat is ONE two three four, or ONE two THREE four. Trying to do three steps to four beats is an exercise in frustration. If you spent a lot of time in band or chorus, it's even harder to do. :D

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ever seen ballroom dancing in a movie, where they take one big step & two little steps and kind of twirl their way around the floor in a circle? That's usually a waltz. You hear the count as ONE two three ONE two three. 4/4 beat is ONE two three four, or ONE two THREE four. Trying to do three steps to four beats is an exercise in frustration. If you spent a lot of time in band or chorus, it's even harder to do. :D

Is that why twerking is harder to some songs compared to others?

EDIT: BTW, I was an all conference band so dont make fun of me there.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Is that why twerking is harder to some songs compared to others?

EDIT: BTW, I was an all conference band so dont make fun of me there.
I wasn't making fun of you. I was just pointing out that playing (or singing) music in a structured situation tends to teach you how to count measures. I didn't know you were in band...sorry!

It was a friendly explanation...but apparently you were mocking us regarding counting a waltz beat?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Held some extra office hours today to accommodate a student who wanted to drop in at 1.
Waited until 1:20 and left. I think it probably wasn't a good idea for him to kid "always be late" to the other student I was chatting with. Fun guy, but that's twice now he failed to show. Don't do that.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Held some extra office hours today to accommodate a student who wanted to drop in at 1.
Waited until 1:20 and left. I think it probably wasn't a good idea for him to kid "always be late" to the other student I was chatting with. Fun guy, but that's twice now he failed to show. Don't do that.
If you are going to stand your instructor up, you'd better show up with a cast on your arm or leg the next time you see him/her.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nothing is better than having your kid tell you at 10 pm on a Sunday evening - after you have been on an hour long run and are getting ready for bed - that they have a bunch of physics homework that they don't understand and they need your help. I spent the next two and a half hours relearning physics I learned (and forgot) 30+ years ago and teaching my kid through her homework.

WHAT WERE YOU DOING ALL BLEEPING WEEKEND! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron