Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was returning from my morning walk and the guy across the street was out smoking. He told me they are getting ready to sell the house in a 3-4 months. Once he is gone for the immediate vicinity the only original homeowners will be me and the family behind me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was returning from my morning walk and the guy across the street was out smoking. He told me they are getting ready to sell the house in a 3-4 months. Once he is gone for the immediate vicinity the only original homeowners will be me and the family behind me.

When we moved out here, it was us in our mid 30s a few in their 40s and a bunch of 80+. We are one of the older established out here now, and honestly it has been far from the better. A bunch of jackwagons have moved in. It went from a nicer, quiet and slower moving section to a bunch of redneck hipsters (if there is a thing) thinking that living on the other side of the highway near the golfcourse is a status symbol (no idea where that crap came from). I'm ready to move. Just need to get youngest through school and then I believe the wife is probably even ready to find something different.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Ginger is white-ish and the grated kind is like.........beige. Where did ginger as a hair color come from??
The Brits.

Speaking of seeing clearly now...anyone have experience with glasses for people who use a computer all day?

My vision itself is okay, I don't wear glasses on the daily now (nor do I really want them), but for a couple years now my Optom has pushed me to get glasses for two reasons. One, to provide slight correction to my vision, obviously. Two, to get ones with lenses intended to help people who use computers all day, like me. I'm still a young guy, so I do admit that keeping my vision somewhat healthy long-term is in the back of my mind.

He recommended getting glasses with anti-reflective coating, an anti-fatigue lens, and a blue light filter (thing called Eyezen?). This stuff is pretty damned expensive -- I was quoted around $300 for the whole shabang after insurance. Also some Trivex lens material instead of plastic, and some kind of polish process to remove some white ring that can be left behind from cutting the lenses. Anyone got experience with this/is it worth it? This is all pretty new to me.
https://gunnar.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg...7QiaaDEqQG-SytRnoxcmr7URN8jDIXtUaAl_oEALw_wcB

I have some Gunnar computer glasses and they have been most useful. There are times when I am staring at monitors for 15-18 hours a day during Tax season (thankfully not too often), and I found that the glasses did reduce eye strain. They do have readers (which probably doesn't help you at this point), as well as progressives and single strength prescription options.

I also use f.lux, a computer program that lets me shift away from blue light (it was around before all of the cell phones added the blue light filter feature).
https://justgetflux.com/

Some folks will tell you the blue light schtick is overblown, and perhaps it is. I did notice positive results from using the glasses and f.lux. #BEWELL.

Reactions: SaraV

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I found Test Iowa to be just fine in terms of the actual swab and the result turnaround. The swabbing process, for me, was unpleasant, but that's it. I understand other people feel differently.
You didn't have to get the nose swab this time?

I had to get the nose swab again, but this lady didnt go reaching for what few brain cells I have left. Just a crazy tickling sensation thats all. Supposed to take 3-5 days for results to come back. Hopefully they are a lot closer to the 24 hour turnaround of Test Iowa.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
With Dr. Fauci's recommendation that we all start wearing goggles in addition to masks, should I invest in a pair of rec specs? I'm trying to decide between the Horace Grant look or Kareem look.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I found Test Iowa to be just fine in terms of the actual swab and the result turnaround. The swabbing process, for me, was unpleasant, but that's it. I understand other people feel differently.
That was my experience. It was a little invasive, but the entire appointment with Test Iowa took under 10 minutes in and out, and I got the results back the following evening. No complaints, really.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
With Dr. Fauci's recommendation that we all start wearing goggles in addition to masks, should I invest in a pair of rec specs? I'm trying to decide between the Horace Grant look or Kareem look.
Go big or go home
71YSRxunHYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wrap some covering material over the snorkel intake and go nuts.

Reactions: ScottyP

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I saw this on tiktok a few days ago. Rex posted it on twitter today. Pretty weird. If you focus on both you hear a combination "Green Storm"

Status
Not open for further replies.