Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Ever have one where you wake up but are paralyzed?? Then someone is there going to hurt you or someone you know somehow?? Had one where I finally screamed myself awake, literally, at 3 in the morning. Wife was impressed.

That did happen these past two times...partial leg paralysis. Felt like they were asleep, then was finally able to flop them over to at least show my brain I could still move.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
3uq5md.jpg
Etymology
The name Amaryllis is taken from a shepherdess in Virgil's pastoral Eclogues, (from the Greek ἀμαρύσσω (amarysso), meaning "to sparkle") and also from "Amarella" for the bitterness of the bulb.[4][5]

Although the 1987 decision settled the question of the scientific name of the genus, the common name "amaryllis" continues to be used differently. Bulbs sold as amaryllis and described as "ready to bloom for the holidays" belong to the allied genus Hippeastrum.[6] The common name "naked lady" used for Amaryllis is also used for other bulbs with a similar growth and flowering pattern; some of these have their own widely used and accepted common names, such as the resurrection lily (Lycoris squamigera). The common name "naked lady" comes from the plant's pattern of flowering when the foliage has died down.[7]
:p:p:p

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ever have one where you wake up but are paralyzed?? Then someone is there going to hurt you or someone you know somehow?? Had one where I finally screamed myself awake, literally, at 3 in the morning. Wife was impressed.

Yes, but not since I was a teen. Was scary as ****.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Better Call Saul is such a good show. Could almost argue it is better than Breaking Bad, although I'm sure that would be viewed as sacrilege.

But Vince Gilligan is one of the very best story-tellers of our time.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So, KC.....if you have naked ladies around the yard at this time of the year, what's it going to be like in mid-summer? :D

Just remember that there are multiple ways to interpret that.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
First nightmare I remember...and quick background. The pantry at my original childhood house was located under our stairs, accessible by a door in the kitchen.

My nightmare was that there was a man that lived in that room, but he had no face, longish pilgrim hair, wore a tall hat, and didn't walk but crawled. One or two of the cast members from Zoom had come to see my parents, and they needed to talk about important stuff and sign papers. I was in the dining room with them, and the scary man made a brief appearance. I whimpered and sidled up to one of my parents, and he went back to his room.

They later "retired" to the living room to socialize, I got bored, and wandered back into the dining room. That's when the scary man burst out of the pantry and started crawling very fast towards me. Try to scream, wake up.

Fast forward MANY years later, I'm watching Doctor Who, and they decided these would be great henchmen for a particular villain.
4198889-high-doctor-who-series-7b.jpg

My scary guy didn't even have a mouth, and these ones didn't crawl, but gosh I felt uneasy watching those episodes. I do now just talking about this. I hope I haven't triggered another nightmare for tonight. I've had about 2.5 in the past ten days. One I don't remember, one had a feeling of the movie "Get Out" (which I haven't seen, but kinda know the presence), and the half one was kind of a worse-case scenario for the world we're in now.

Good grief I took a tangent on Zoom.
That story gave me goose bumps Sara! Especially the "crawl" part.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
First nightmare I remember...and quick background. The pantry at my original childhood house was located under our stairs, accessible by a door in the kitchen.

My nightmare was that there was a man that lived in that room, but he had no face, longish pilgrim hair, wore a tall hat, and didn't walk but crawled. One or two of the cast members from Zoom had come to see my parents, and they needed to talk about important stuff and sign papers. I was in the dining room with them, and the scary man made a brief appearance. I whimpered and sidled up to one of my parents, and he went back to his room.

They later "retired" to the living room to socialize, I got bored, and wandered back into the dining room. That's when the scary man burst out of the pantry and started crawling very fast towards me. Try to scream, wake up.

Fast forward MANY years later, I'm watching Doctor Who, and they decided these would be great henchmen for a particular villain.

My scary guy didn't even have a mouth, and these ones didn't crawl, but gosh I felt uneasy watching those episodes. I do now just talking about this. I hope I haven't triggered another nightmare for tonight. I've had about 2.5 in the past ten days. One I don't remember, one had a feeling of the movie "Get Out" (which I haven't seen, but kinda know the presence), and the half one was kind of a worse-case scenario for the world we're in now.

Sara,
Are you there this morning?

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
923E44E1-37C9-481B-8661-99C084B233B5.jpeg
Etymology
The name Amaryllis is taken from a shepherdess in Virgil's pastoral Eclogues, (from the Greek ἀμαρύσσω (amarysso), meaning "to sparkle") and also from "Amarella" for the bitterness of the bulb.[4][5]

Although the 1987 decision settled the question of the scientific name of the genus, the common name "amaryllis" continues to be used differently. Bulbs sold as amaryllis and described as "ready to bloom for the holidays" belong to the allied genus Hippeastrum.[6] The common name "naked lady" used for Amaryllis is also used for other bulbs with a similar growth and flowering pattern; some of these have their own widely used and accepted common names, such as the resurrection lily (Lycoris squamigera). The common name "naked lady" comes from the plant's pattern of flowering when the foliage has died down.[7]
:p:p:p
I thought I remembered DD (hort major) telling naked ladies were the same as surprise lilies. I have amaryllis but no naked ladies.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Coors Light sells 12 oz cans in 24 packs at Walmart for $20.98. Right next to it is are 24 can cases of 16 oz cans for $19.98. Wondering who missed math class. My thought is great!! FREE BEER!!!

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Sorry again for a COVID-19 related post, but saw this link in a newsletter-type email I get and thought you might "enjoy" it, too. We can complain all we want about other people and condemn them for what we think they're doing or not doing, but unless we are those other people we don't have a clue.
Also, if you're a Miami Heat or NBA fan, you might like it even more. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/udonis-haslem-nba-covid-the-real-miami

Reactions: Doc

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Coors Light sells 12 oz cans in 24 packs at Walmart for $20.98. Right next to it is are 24 can cases of 16 oz cans for $19.98. Wondering who missed math class. My thought is great!! FREE BEER!!!
In my younger days you could buy a six pack of Bud 16 oz cans for .25 more than a 6 pack of 12 oz cans. That was a no brainer. Two extra beers for .25

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
With all the talk of naked ladies I'll be interested in seeing what kind of ads start popping up.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
From a couple of friends at Iowa State University of SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY:
"I need to update R- a free software package that one can download from CRAN, which has a hub at ISU (so it’s trusted). But I can’t because I don’t have admin privileges. So I have to request someone to take over my computer, then they discover I’m not on the VPN so they have to download that software, install it and log in (which fails SEVERAL times) to download the R update and install the software. This takes ~30 min and since I don’t have my computer but they need me to log in with my credentials - I just sit here"

"Do NOT even get me started about the inability to do anything on my ISU computer due to my lack of admin privileges. It took nearly 2 weeks to get Remote Desktop working simply because flipping one switch required admin privileges.
Well, guess I got myself started. But I could also go on and on about how I wouldn’t need Remote Desktop if we didn’t still use a shared drive on a campus server and instead had moved everything to Box. Ok, getting off soapbox now "

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We are considered "essential" also. We could unplug our little CPUs, take them home, plug them into our power and internet connections, and access everything we need and work at home easily.

But we don't - simply because, I'm sure, our ******* boss doesn't trust us. :confused:

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
From a couple of friends at Iowa State University of SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY:
"I need to update R- a free software package that one can download from CRAN, which has a hub at ISU (so it’s trusted). But I can’t because I don’t have admin privileges. So I have to request someone to take over my computer, then they discover I’m not on the VPN so they have to download that software, install it and log in (which fails SEVERAL times) to download the R update and install the software. This takes ~30 min and since I don’t have my computer but they need me to log in with my credentials - I just sit here"

"Do NOT even get me started about the inability to do anything on my ISU computer due to my lack of admin privileges. It took nearly 2 weeks to get Remote Desktop working simply because flipping one switch required admin privileges.
Well, guess I got myself started. But I could also go on and on about how I wouldn’t need Remote Desktop if we didn’t still use a shared drive on a campus server and instead had moved everything to Box. Ok, getting off soapbox now "

Yep, yep, yep. I don't use Remote desktop while I'm at home, but have been having other issues, like with Webex (now I understand why the University of Minnesota recently switched from Webex to Zoom (opposite of ISU)...

And that whole needing admins to log in and okay program/app installs and updates was "supposed to keep us all safe" and instead it's making the IT admins work a whole lot more these past couple of weeks. I feel sorry each time I email our IT people about something because it seems my problems are minor compared to others. Then I realize my programs are just as important as anyone else's. Still frustrating, but at least WFH I can turn around and watch birds in my backyard occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.