Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I disagree entirely with that approach.

I'm guessing you've got some folks teaching online for the first time, they have a very strict view on their approach, and they don't do well with change. I'm also assuming they don't trust their students.

I just had one of my students contact me today that they finally got a piece of technology to work well enough to log in and get caught up. I focused on maximum flexibility and adaptability for my courses. Education is important but I'm not going to punish students who have work/family/health obligations.

My dean has given me full power to run the course as I see fit. I'm also coordinating with an adjunct and a first year full time faculty.

Definitely needs to be some understanding all the way around. The local school wlooks like they will be going with online stuff soon, after Trumps announcement. That means there will be three online students in my house and one teaching online. No way you can coordinate all that with all having different classes.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Spent a couple of hours today clearing winter waste out of my iris bed and the main lily/hosta/coneflower garden. Naked ladies are 6-8 inches tall, hostas are crowning, day lily bunches are grassy green, tiger lilies and bleeding hearts are already peeking through along with one or two asiatic/oriental lilies. My neighbor gave me about 25 coneflower sets last fall that we planted almost too late. That increased my coneflower bed 3x. Today I was looking to see if any of them survived, and found new shoots on a half-dozen of them. YAY!!!

Lew just unburied the daisies and the hydrangea that are along the east wall of the house. The daisies are very enthusiastic, but it looks like every single hydrangea shoot got nibbled. We'll see how they do.

I'm in a happy place right now - it's finally nice enough to go outside in a t-shirt and enjoy the day. All too soon it will be 90 degrees out there. :(

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
In other good news, the sink/countertop & tub surround finally arrived (the tub bypass doors were already here), and the stacking washer/dryer will be here on Thursday. So we may be able to proceed with the remodel. The biggest hangup is that I have trouble lifting & holding things in place (thumbs can't grip, back can't support) so it may be slow going. Certainly slower going without the two friends that were helping us originally. :(

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Spent a couple of hours today clearing winter waste out of my iris bed and the main lily/hosta/coneflower garden. Naked ladies are 6-8 inches tall, hostas are crowning, day lily bunches are grassy green, tiger lilies and bleeding hearts are already peeking through along with one or two asiatic/oriental lilies. My neighbor gave me about 25 coneflower sets last fall that we planted almost too late. That increased my coneflower bed 3x. Today I was looking to see if any of them survived, and found new shoots on a half-dozen of them. YAY!!!

Lew just unburied the daisies and the hydrangea that are along the east wall of the house. The daisies are very enthusiastic, but it looks like every single hydrangea shoot got nibbled. We'll see how they do.

I'm in a happy place right now - it's finally nice enough to go outside in a t-shirt and enjoy the day. All too soon it will be 90 degrees out there. :(

I'll take 90 degree days so long as it means I can be somewhere and feel safe doing it.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
When I was a kid, ZOOM was a TV show from Boston Public Broadcasting on the fourth of four channels, and it taught me how kids in Big Cities made stuff out of popsicle sticks and stuff and how peas were harvested.
Now, ZOOM is how we have make-busy meetings to make sure everyone isn't out on 50 mile bikerides on sunny days when they are supposed to be "working from home".

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When I was a kid, ZOOM was a TV show from Boston Public Broadcasting on the fourth of four channels, and it taught me how kids in Big Cities made stuff out of popsicle sticks and stuff and how peas were harvested.
Now, ZOOM is how we have make-busy meetings to make sure everyone isn't out on 50 mile bikerides on sunny days when they are supposed to be "working from home".

You haven’t bought a safari hat and taped a photo of the back of your office to it and then adapted one of those gopros that attach to your hat to hold your phone so that it appears you are at home working during the meeting when you are out on walks, bike rides or drives?

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

First nightmare I remember...and quick background. The pantry at my original childhood house was located under our stairs, accessible by a door in the kitchen.

My nightmare was that there was a man that lived in that room, but he had no face, longish pilgrim hair, wore a tall hat, and didn't walk but crawled. One or two of the cast members from Zoom had come to see my parents, and they needed to talk about important stuff and sign papers. I was in the dining room with them, and the scary man made a brief appearance. I whimpered and sidled up to one of my parents, and he went back to his room.

They later "retired" to the living room to socialize, I got bored, and wandered back into the dining room. That's when the scary man burst out of the pantry and started crawling very fast towards me. Try to scream, wake up.

Fast forward MANY years later, I'm watching Doctor Who, and they decided these would be great henchmen for a particular villain.
4198889-high-doctor-who-series-7b.jpg

My scary guy didn't even have a mouth, and these ones didn't crawl, but gosh I felt uneasy watching those episodes. I do now just talking about this. I hope I haven't triggered another nightmare for tonight. I've had about 2.5 in the past ten days. One I don't remember, one had a feeling of the movie "Get Out" (which I haven't seen, but kinda know the presence), and the half one was kind of a worse-case scenario for the world we're in now.

Good grief I took a tangent on Zoom.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
First nightmare I remember...and quick background. The pantry at my original childhood house was located under our stairs, accessible by a door in the kitchen.

My nightmare was that there was a man that lived in that room, but he had no face, longish pilgrim hair, wore a tall hat, and didn't walk but crawled. One or two of the cast members from Zoom had come to see my parents, and they needed to talk about important stuff and sign papers. I was in the dining room with them, and the scary man made a brief appearance. I whimpered and sidled up to one of my parents, and he went back to his room.

They later "retired" to the living room to socialize, I got bored, and wandered back into the dining room. That's when the scary man burst out of the pantry and started crawling very fast towards me. Try to scream, wake up.

Fast forward MANY years later, I'm watching Doctor Who, and they decided these would be great henchmen for a particular villain.
4198889-high-doctor-who-series-7b.jpg

My scary guy didn't even have a mouth, and these ones didn't crawl, but gosh I felt uneasy watching those episodes. I do now just talking about this. I hope I haven't triggered another nightmare for tonight. I've had about 2.5 in the past ten days. One I don't remember, one had a feeling of the movie "Get Out" (which I haven't seen, but kinda know the presence), and the half one was kind of a worse-case scenario for the world we're in now.

Good grief I took a tangent on Zoom.

Ever have one where you wake up but are paralyzed?? Then someone is there going to hurt you or someone you know somehow?? Had one where I finally screamed myself awake, literally, at 3 in the morning. Wife was impressed.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I disagree entirely with that approach.

I'm guessing you've got some folks teaching online for the first time, they have a very strict view on their approach, and they don't do well with change. I'm also assuming they don't trust their students.

I just had one of my students contact me today that they finally got a piece of technology to work well enough to log in and get caught up. I focused on maximum flexibility and adaptability for my courses. Education is important but I'm not going to punish students who have work/family/health obligations.

My dean has given me full power to run the course as I see fit. I'm also coordinating with an adjunct and a first year full time faculty.

This my wife literally said today that the dean assumes everyone is trying to cheat. So she went to her grandparents house to take it while her mom watched the kids for a half hour until I got home.

Regarding her instructor: ******** are going to ******* regardless of the situation. Generally our society is way too tolerant of ********. "Oh, he's a real prick but knows his stuff" excuse for them is complete crap.

It is made worse by the fact that this dean throws out anything that the students give as "negative feedback" and only passes along positive comments.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
What’s the glass for?? Just drink from the bottle. Won’t waste dishwashing soap then.
And hopefully your grocery store won’t be out of dish soap when you need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.