Racist UofI Hawkkks - Settlement Paid By Tax Payers

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
The U of I could have done the right thing from the outset, announcing up front that they would pay the state's portion of the settlement. They surely would have avoided a good portion of this brutal press coverage and public outcry.

Instead they get the worst of both worlds - they pay the bill and take a much worse PR hit than necessary. Just brilliant public relations-ing. Strategery!

Did you really see this playing out any other way? If Iowa could figure out a way to do something bad and then look bad while addressing it, they'll do it. I think it's a minor miracle that they even offered to pay the money back given how tone deaf that administration is.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

UofI says they'll be reimbursing the state.

You gotta think that Barta is on some really thin ice right now. Not that I want him to go, but when is the U of I president and the BOR going to say "enough is enough"? Seems their fans are at that point now.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Did you really see this playing out any other way? If Iowa could figure out a way to do something bad and then look bad while addressing it, they'll do it. I think it's a minor miracle that they even offered to pay the money back given how tone deaf that administration is.

Oh, I absolutely figured it would play out this way. It was so predictable and so dumb. Anyone with a functioning cortex would have said, "it's only $2 million, just pay it and move on" but U of I is too arrogant.

And in the end, aside from a week of bad press, they won't suffer and nothing will change.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Oh, I absolutely figured it would play out this way. It was so predictable and so dumb. Anyone with a functioning cortex would have said, "it's only $2 million, just pay it and move on" but U of I is too arrogant.

And in the end, aside from a week of bad press, they won't suffer and nothing will change.
Yep, and they all get to say they did the right thing in the end, ignoring the fact that the discrimination even took place, and they absolutely were not going to do the right thing until a little pressure was applied.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
They sure didn't do this for noble reasons. They did it only because the heat they were taking was more costly than the $2 million they tried to stick the tax payers with.

Yet once again, the University of Iowa shows how not to respond to a PR nightmare.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You gotta think that Barta is on some really thin ice right now. Not that I want him to go, but when is the U of I president and the BOR going to say "enough is enough"? Seems their fans are at that point now.
I also think that i know the faculty side likely have had it over the years with this stuff...but now an additional $2 million is coming out of general funds that matter to them, too

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Is this "we will repay the money" press the same as "Ferentz wont take a bowl bonus for a bowl that wasn't played" press? As a reminder the latter was total lie.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If you give up Barta you lose KF and I don't think the powers that be over there want to be in the position that they look like they were the reason for that.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I also think that i know the faculty side likely have had it over the years with this stuff...but now an additional $2 million is coming out of general funds that matter to them, too

That would raise my hackles if I was faculty. That should flat out come out of the A.D. budget

Reactions: CapnCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron