R. Bowens III Transferring

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
I haven't seen this on here, but it looks like Bowens is in the transfer portal. Looks like he graduated in 3 years, and got a medical red shirt his Freshman year, so he will be a grad transfer with 2 to play. I really liked him as a RS Freshman, but his playing time went down last season. Best of luck, Mr. Bowens.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I'm impressed with anyone who can graduate in three years. It took me considerably longer than most people ...

Reactions: Snydes

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm impressed with anyone who can graduate in three years. It took me considerably longer than most people ...

Not only graduate in 3 years but doing it while balancing the time commitment to playing a D1 sport too. I get that they get priority class scheduling and some out of classroom help too that your average student doesn't get access to but between all the practices, games, work outs, and meetings involved with playing a sport I am always in awe of those that find a way to graduate early or have impressive GPAs and tack on some grad school in year 4 or 5 too.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Not only graduate in 3 years but doing it while balancing the time commitment to playing a D1 sport too. I get that they get priority class scheduling and some out of classroom help too that your average student doesn't get access to but between all the practices, games, work outs, and meetings involved with playing a sport I am always in awe of those that find a way to graduate early or have impressive GPAs and tack on some grad school in year 4 or 5 too.

took my almost 5 and i didnt even play sports

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Most fans were high on him coming out of high school. Shows how fast Campbell has been able to build depth in the backfield.

Reactions: CyDude16

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I consider him a success story at ISU, got an education and still is able to play a sport he obviously loves. Well done!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Depends on how many college credits he picked up while in high school and I assume he probably took summer classes.

Good point. There were no "AP" classes at my small rural high school. Thus when I started at ISU it was from credit one. My kids all have some college credit from high school and a couple had at least a sememster's worth if not close to a year's worth. My one daughter will graduate on time with a double major and a minor while playing club sports, but I can't imagine doing that with a D1 schedule. Her weekend travel schedule and 2-3 practices a week was plenty.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I thought that he might have a shot at a safety spot in ‘21, but there’s going to be a lot of competition there. If you worked hard enough to be able to grad transfer, why wait? Congrats, and good luck to him!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
took my almost 5 and i didnt even play sports

Same here, took me 4.5 years and mainly because I had 1 semester my sophomore year that several of the classes I needed to take as a pre-req for other classes I needed to take next were all filled up before I was allowed into the system to register so I basically had a somewhat lost semester full of electives. I almost had to stay for 5 years as that whole mess also set me back for a class I had to take later down the line and I was going into my senior year knowing there was a possibility I would have to add on another semester just to take a single class. The advisor assigned to me for my major was absolutely no help at all so I went straight to the college of business advising office and the head of advisors essentially just took me up as one of her own students and helped me work through the problem. She suggested changing catalogs which basically took that 1 class out of the equation and replaced it with another class that I had already met all the pre-reqs for. Needless to say it was a huge relief for me and felt a weight lifted off my shoulders from all the frustrations I had with my major advisor who seemed like he could have cared less about my problem when I was trying to work with him.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Same here, took me 4.5 years and mainly because I had 1 semester my sophomore year that several of the classes I needed to take as a pre-req for other classes I needed to take next were all filled up before I was allowed into the system to register so I basically had a somewhat lost semester full of electives. I almost had to stay for 5 years as that whole mess also set me back for a class I had to take later down the line and I was going into my senior year knowing there was a possibility I would have to add on another semester just to take a single class. The advisor assigned to me for my major was absolutely no help at all so I went straight to the college of business advising office and the head of advisors essentially just took me up as one of her own students and helped me work through the problem. She suggested changing catalogs which basically took that 1 class out of the equation and replaced it with another class that I had already met all the pre-reqs for. Needless to say it was a huge relief for me and felt a weight lifted off my shoulders from all the frustrations I had with my major advisor who seemed like he could have cared less about my problem when I was trying to work with him.
I was lucky that I had no trouble getting the classes I needed. I graduated with an engineering degree in four years. The first two years were hard, but it was smooth sailing the last two. I banked my pass-fail classes for my senior year and coasted home.

First quarter of my senior year I had classes three days a week and was done at noon. The second quarter I had almost the same. I wasn't taking enough credits to qualify for the Dean's list so that senior year was really a joy.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was lucky that I had no trouble getting the classes I needed. I graduated with an engineering degree in four years. The first two years were hard, but it was smooth sailing the last two. I banked my pass-fail classes for my senior year and coasted home.

First quarter of my senior year I had classes three days a week and was done at noon. The second quarter I had almost the same. I wasn't taking enough credits to qualify for the Dean's list so that senior year was really a joy.

Another crappy thing too was when I registered for that extra fall semester in the spring I had it worked out that all my classes would be on just Tuesday and Thursdays and just the minimum 12 credits to be a full time student as even with that I was over the credits needed to graduate. I really only had 1 or 2 major classes left to graduate and the rest were some cushy electives. The plan was with only 2 days a week of classes I could pick up some extra hours working somewhere part time since I had daytime availability. Well midway through the summer I got a letter from ISU saying they changed the time 1 of my classes was being offered to M,W,F at 11am. So there went by great schedule I thought I was going to have.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

ok i was 4 plus the summer semester

had an internship to finish up that summer for my last 4 credits or something

idk i wasnt really paying attention

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
ok i was 4 plus the summer semester

had an internship to finish up that summer for my last 4 credits or something

idk i wasnt really paying attention

The 1 positive that came out of that extra fall semester was I was able to buy another season of student tickets for FB and BB