Questioning Hoiberg's coaching? Read this.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Definitely. Withey didn't have a huge game and he wasn't able to alter too many shots either, just a few. I think Hoiberg & staff did an amazing job with that.

Nah, brah, pretty sure this one's on Hoiberg, I read it here from all the experts. They have spoken, it is so.

:pwink:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Seeing a game plan in action takes me back to the Floyd/Eustachy days. It seems like Freddie has picked up a little something from the many coaches he's worked with or played under. There's a bit of Johnny, Floyd, Eustachy, etc, in his game.

Scoring over 70 in every game this year is impressive, and having a high power offense will surely be one more selling point for recruits.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
I think we all need to take a balanced approach to this. First off, anyone that thinks Fred was the wrong hire or can't coach are off their rocker. Second, anyone who thinks as fans you can't question anything or it means you think he shouldn't be here is also nuttier than a fruit cake. We should have won this game, obviously in this situation, we should have fouled knowing the outcome, coach made the wrong call in the last 8 seconds, but man, did he coach one whale of a game the rest of it. NO ONE gave us a chance going in and it turns out, we should have won. So, quit jumping all over those who might question a coaching move here or there and also don't throw out the "Fred can't coach" crap as both reactions are as worthless as a poopy flavored lolipop.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We should have won this game, obviously in this situation, we should have fouled knowing the outcome, coach made the wrong call in the last 8 seconds, but man, did he coach one whale of a game the rest of it. NO ONE gave us a chance going in and it turns out, we should have won. So, quit jumping all over those who might question a coaching move here or there and also don't throw out the "Fred can't coach" crap as both reactions are as worthless as a poopy flavored lolipop.

You can certainly question a coaching move, but understand that even in the coaching community fouling in that situation is not the no-brainer that many posters are making it out to be. People are still going to disagree with people who attack Fred with Post titles like THIS LOSS IS ON YOU, FRED! (Emphasis is OP's) and the like. It is not a no-brainer and Fred is not woefully wrong for choosing to go with at least half of the coaches out there who believe not fouling is the way to win in that situation.

In short, everyone has the right to disagree with Fred and everyone else has the right to disagree with them. Everyone has the right to essentially call Fred an idiot for the way he chose to play it and everyone else has the right to call them an idiot for calling Fred an idiot.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The next several years are going to be amazing when:

1. He has players that have been in his system for several years so he knows what he has going into seasons instead of having to figure that out during the season.

and

2. He is pulling elite level talent in on a yearly basis such that his teams are capable of winning on sheer talent alone while Hoiberg is figuring out what he has.

I am looking forward to years when the CFH can return a core of players and only has to mix in new wrinkles instead of revamping the team every year.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
It hurts to see Chris Babb play such poor defense on that final play. His man set the screen down on McGee, and Babb came right down into the paint with him, making the screen twice as big.

Why wouldn't he remain at the 3-point line to help contest a shot? We could not care less about a made two-pointer with 1 second left!

Hoiberg said they were told to switch the screens and they didn't do it. if Babb was expecting a switch, he did the right thing by chasing him into the screen. He should have then picked up the screener.

EDIT: nevermind... I misread your post.

TxClone31

Jun 21, 2010
It hurts to see Chris Babb play such poor defense on that final play. His man set the screen down on McGee, and Babb came right down into the paint with him, making the screen twice as big.

Why wouldn't he remain at the 3-point line to help contest a shot? We could not care less about a made two-pointer with 1 second left!

Babb said in an interview after game that they were supposed to switch the screen. He did what he was told to do. Go back and watch that play again and you will see McGee watching the dribble hand off and forgetting to pick up McLemore.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Its to bad everyone over on Phog.net thinks that Hoiberg isn't a coach at all. Most of them think were just a run and gun team that gets lucky. Very few thought we had a "game plan" and that we were just "lucky" that we had a decent shooting night from 3 point range. I think Hoiberg is a hell of coach, and the big 12 should thank us on how to beat KU. I can't wait till we beat them on Big Monday in February.

I would agree if it mattered what people on phog.net thought.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron