QB Controversy inevitable

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
We need to get a JUCO QB, maybe a couple of them.

I don't see either QB being the answer to our QB problems. There are other larger problems, but I think a true running QB would hide a lot of the Olines problems.

Does Seneca have a brother, cousin or son, yet?

Too bad we didn't Get Waters from Western alongwith Wimberly and.Coe

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
We can all argue about Messingham's playcalling ability (I won't argue it but some on here still seem to back him). But no one can argue the regression of our QBs under his watch. To have QBs consistently get worse under his coaching seems to be a gift of his. And a lump of coal for our QBs, our team, and the fans.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Sam R is going the same way as Steele and JB. Mess has a way of taking away the really good agressiveness from these guys and turnign them into head cases that are terrifeid to make mistakes. Somehow the Steele Jantz from the Iowa game turned into a headcase. Somehow the JB from the OSU game turned into a head case. SR looks lost now.

I actually think they are going to go with Rohach next year. I get the feeling Sam's arm isn't strong enough to make all the throws. While Rohach has not been good, the arm and talent look like they could be there. He has a higher ceiling. I could be wrong, but if he make some progress (hard to imagine with this staff I know) I think it is his job to lose.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yup, because Grant looks so good. Hopefully we can go out and find a JC QB who can actually play. Throwing INTs in garbage time is no way to convince me you should be starting next year.

I think it's on the coaching of the QBs. They have these guys so screwed up in the head that they don't know what to do. They are scared of making a play because they might turn it over and get pulled. They are spooked because they haven't had time. There's a regression among each and every QB except Rohach. I don't believe Webb is anymore gifted than Sam or Grant. I think he has a guy that can teach him how to play the position while we have a guy screwing with the next best thing at all times, unless of course the first one is injured, then we play him anyway. There's a good chance Rhoads has a hand in that as well.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
This offense needs to be stripped down and rebuilt entirely starting in the spring. I don't think there's any way Mess is still OC after the WVU game. But it'll be interesting to see what happens with Klenakis and Sturdy. I thought Sturdy was brought in to be passing game coordinator, so what does he do in relation to the OC?

Also, you're nuts if you don't think it will be an open QB race in the spring. Sam will have the edge but I could see him getting beat out if one of the other guys steps up. Seems more likely it would be one of the redshirt FR than Rohach.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Maybe if the last four quarterbacks aren't being developed, missing open receivers, playing poorly, etc, the quarterback isn't so much the problem as the guy coaching the quarterback and calling the plays.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
This offense needs to be stripped down and rebuilt entirely starting in the spring. I don't think there's any way Mess is still OC after the WVU game. But it'll be interesting to see what happens with Klenakis and Sturdy. I thought Sturdy was brought in to be passing game coordinator, so what does he do in relation to the OC?

Also, you're nuts if you don't think it will be an open QB race in the spring. Sam will have the edge but I could see him getting beat out if one of the other guys steps up. Seems more likely it would be one of the redshirt FR than Rohach.

When he was asked what that meant he basically said it means he helps Mess with the passing game. I think it's mostly just a title since he also is the guy in charge of the return teams on special teams, and Shane already had the title of special teams coordinator. I really don't think Sturdy has much more say in the offense than any of the other assistants.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
The fact that they instantly pulled Sam after throwing a pick leads me to believe that the staff has little concern for building confidence and any semblance of swagger within their QB's. How is Sam supposed to succeed when he has it in the back of his mind that every time he screws up they are going to instantly pull him, give his job to someone else and top it off by placing the blame on him in post game interviews (Looking at you Mess). It's absolutely ridiculous.

I feel bad for the kid and I really feel like the staff is destroying a good QB.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Is it lack of development or lack of good development?

Toemato Tohmato I guess

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
No controversy here.. just an injured Richardson.
That excuse is getting old. If he was truly hurt then I don't think he would have even played today. What's the point of throwing him in there if he is hurt? The ankle slowly got better, but a head and/or neck injury is something you don't come back from a week later if it is an issue.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Count me in for being on Team Sam. Offense moves the ball more with him and we seem to have a lot less demoralizing turnovers with him. Sure we have had a few with Sam but Grant's turnovers have been the equivalent to taking a knife in the side and churning it around. Absolutely demoralizing for the team. I have seen what Sam is capable of and I think we will see that more of that when we get healthier.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
That excuse is getting old. If he was truly hurt then I don't think he would have even played today. What's the point of throwing him in there if he is hurt? The ankle slowly got better, but a head and/or neck injury is something you don't come back from a week later if it is an issue.
If it isn't the injury then why did they take him out so early today? He is clearly better right now than Grant. If he is healthy then why is he not playing the whole game? Sam is hurt plain and simple.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron