Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Here is the thing. AAA baseball is nothing more than a farm system for MLB. People go to their games to go to a baseball game. They don't care about the actual success of the team because frankly the team doesn't care about the success. That isn't how soccer operates even as poorly as US soccer is set up. Professional soccer isn't going to follow the same path and equal out to the NBA or NFL. It will have it's niche market that likely focuses on smaller cities.

People are saying this is a bad thing because it won't be something they like or comparable to the 2 biggest sports in the country. That isn't the bar for success. The bar for success is will this improve the site it is going to be built on. Currently it is a giant pile of **** so the bar isn't exactly high.

I think this is the case for all minor league sports. Nobody is a die hard fan of a minor league team. The ability to sell tickets depends on the popularity of the sport in general in the market, the price of tickets, promos etc.

I honestly think the farm system things helps in a case like the I Cubs. Tons of Cubs fans in Des Moines, so there is a natural draw seeing rising prospects or rehabbing stars.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I personally would be much more inclined to watch a sports team owned and operated in Des Moines than a team owned in another state where all the decisions are made and you don't feel any "ownership" of the team. Having a real professional team based in Des Moines where you genuinely care whether they win or lose would be awesome. If you don't enjoy watching soccer I suppose you don't have to go to the games.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I personally would be much more inclined to watch a sports team owned and operated in Des Moines than a team owned in another state where all the decisions are made and you don't feel any "ownership" of the team. Having a real professional team based in Des Moines where you genuinely care whether they win or lose would be awesome (unless it's soccer). If you don't enjoy watching soccer, I suppose you are smarter than the rest of us.

Fixed it for you :)

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think this is the case for all minor league sports. Nobody is a die hard fan of a minor league team. The ability to sell tickets depends on the popularity of the sport in general in the market, the price of tickets, promos etc.

I honestly think the farm system things helps in a case like the I Cubs. Tons of Cubs fans in Des Moines, so there is a natural draw seeing rising prospects or rehabbing stars.
Except that isn’t how soccer works. There is no team they are subservient to. You frankly could see it some with the Energy before the NBA teams really took control. People actually cheered for them and the teams tried to win.

In a perfect world you would have a few leagues in the US and everyone could relegate or promote just like in the rest of the world. Even the way they have it set up now most teams aren’t farm teams.

• Agree
Reactions: werdnamanhill

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm not ok with my tax $$$$ be blown in a pipe dream 150 miles away.

I'm not OK with my tax dollars going to these:

Ames, by comparison, is getting $10 million of $21.5 million. But that's half of the total amount of future sales tax the city expects to generate from its planned indoor aquatic center, hotel, conference center and retail spaces.

Fort Dodge is getting $17 million of the $18 million it requested, about 53% of expected future revenue, for a redevelopment project at a shopping mall. Newton is getting $14 million of $15.5 million requested, about 66% of the forecasted future revenue from a multifaceted project.

Cedar Rapids is getting $9 million for downtown developments that include apartments, two hotels, shops, restaurants, a brewery and an entertainment venue. That represents about 23% of the future sales tax revenue from those location.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I'm not OK with my tax dollars going to these:

Ames, by comparison, is getting $10 million of $21.5 million. But that's half of the total amount of future sales tax the city expects to generate from its planned indoor aquatic center, hotel, conference center and retail spaces.

Fort Dodge is getting $17 million of the $18 million it requested, about 53% of expected future revenue, for a redevelopment project at a shopping mall. Newton is getting $14 million of $15.5 million requested, about 66% of the forecasted future revenue from a multifaceted project.

Cedar Rapids is getting $9 million for downtown developments that include apartments, two hotels, shops, restaurants, a brewery and an entertainment venue. That represents about 23% of the future sales tax revenue from those location.
Betting bonds will be paid off with future local option taxes,.....guess who will have to bail out the mess? The taxpayers of Iowa.

Really spreading the $$$ too. All the way from Ft. Dodge to DM, with a bone thrown to CR.

About the projects
Ames

• Projects: Indoor aquatics center, hotel, conference center, retail space
  • Amount requested: $21.5 million
  • Projected future sales tax: $20 million
  • Amount awarded: $10 million
Cedar Rapids

• Projects: Two hotels, shops, restaurants, a brewery, an entertainment venue, housing
  • Amount requested: $39.5 million
  • Projected future sales tax: $39.5 million
  • Amount awarded: $9 million
Des Moines

• Projects: Soccer stadium, plaza, entertainment venue, three hotels, convenience store, grocery store, brewery
  • Amount requested: $27.1 million
  • Projected future sales tax: $139.4 million
  • Amountawarded: $23.5 million
Des Moines/Urbandale

• Projects: Hockey arena, Merle Hay mall expansion and renovation, hotel
  • Amount requested: $30 million
  • Projected future sales tax: $133 million
  • Amount received: $26.5 million
Fort Dodge

• Projects: Mall redevelopment, event space, shops, hotel
  • Amount requested: $18 million
  • Projected future sales tax: $31.8 million
  • Amount received: $17 million
Newton

• Projects: Apartments, hotel, event center, plaza, restaurants, shops, Des Moines Area Community College campus expansion
  • Amount requested: $15.5 million
  • Projected future sales tax: $21.1 million
  • Amount received: $14 million

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Sorry that you have terrible takes that are not in fact backed up by facts, but by your hatred of a sport. I gave you a dumb rating on multiple posts, all of which you deserved, get over it. Clown.

my hated of a sport? I watch a lot of soccer. You imbecile.

here’s an article talking how the power & light/sprint center still won’t pay for itself in another 25+ years. The windfall is roughly 12-15 million short than they projected each year.

If anyone is a clown, it’s you, take a lap.

Reactions: CyArob

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

here’s an article talking how the power & light/sprint center still won’t pay for itself in another 25+ years. The windfall is roughly 12-15 million short than they projected each year.

The hell are you talking about, you dunce? We’re not talking about Kansas City. Have you even seen a feasibility on this project, or are you just writing it up as a failure before ground is even broken? I’m guessing you’d love to see that site stay the same as it is currently. Quit claiming to be an expert because you took one class in college.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The hell are you talking about, you dunce? We’re not talking about Kansas City. Have you even seen a feasibility on this project, or are you just writing it up as a failure before ground is even broken? I’m guessing you’d love to see that site stay the same as it is currently. Quit claiming to be an expert because you took one class in college.

that is an example of ROI for almost every stadium/area development doesn’t even come close to projections. I never once claimed to be an expert but the facts of it support my stance.

And once again, you’re wrong. I love watching the development and growth of Des Moines. I live downtown.

You’re a goddamn idiot.

And if you can show me where I have a hatred of soccer, let me know, thanks dunce!

Reactions: CyArob

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Except that isn’t how soccer works. There is no team they are subservient to. You frankly could see it some with the Energy before the NBA teams really took control. People actually cheered for them and the teams tried to win.

In a perfect world you would have a few leagues in the US and everyone could relegate or promote just like in the rest of the world. Even the way they have it set up now most teams aren’t farm teams.

Totally understand soccer doesn't do this. But I do think from a fan interest standpoint the farm team system tied to a popular, regional pro team is helpful in selling tickets.

Relegation is never going to happen here, so everyone just needs to let go of that idea.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I think that is from the Fed. The second pandemic bailout this past spring. The IDED is doling it out. The items you mention will develop many more job opportunities than a soccer stadium.

Yay - more low paying restaurant and retail jobs that can't be filled.

Why should my tax dollars for an indoor aquatic center in Ames, or retail and a brewery in Cedar Rapids? How many more hotels do they need in downtown Cedar Rapids? How many times is Ames going to try and build a conference center?

I get it, you do not like soccer, however the two projects in DSM (soccer stadium and hockey) have a better chance of being successful than a good chunk of the others that got money.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
that is an example of ROI for almost every stadium/area development doesn’t even come close to projections. I never once claimed to be an expert but the facts of it support my stance.

And once again, you’re wrong. I love watching the development and growth of Des Moines. I live downtown.

You’re a goddamn idiot.

And if you can show me where I have a hatred of soccer, let me know, thanks dunce!
Not to stroke myself, but I hold a master's degree in Sport Administration and Management, and have written multiple papers on projects such as this (however much larger scale projects, such as Stan Krohnke's $4B privately funded project in LA, and also the Allegiant Stadium and Globe Life Park, so I'm pretty well versed in this topic.

The reason why projections are always amped up is for two things and two things only:

1: Funding
2: Support

It's the same reason why they always project the cost of the project to be lower than it actually will be.

The current trend with new stadiums and other venues is to create a space that can be used 365 days out of the year rather than just the select times per year the stadium has an event going on. It's not like this project is going to be like the Palace of Auburn Hills, where the entire place is surrounded by parking lots.

If you're saying that we shouldn't build a stadium (that has a ton of private backing) that will provide even the slightest of an economic boost on a site that is a complete eyesore to the city, nobody can come up with an idea of what to do with it, just because it could be years, if not decades, until we see an ROI, then I don't know what to tell you, man.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Yay - more low paying restaurant and retail jobs that can't be filled.

Why should my tax dollars for an indoor aquatic center in Ames, or retail and a brewery in Cedar Rapids? How many more hotels do they need in downtown Cedar Rapids? How many times is Ames going to try and build a conference center?

I get it, you do not like soccer, however the two projects in DSM (soccer stadium and hockey) have a better chance of being successful than a good chunk of the others that got money.
Yep, minimum wage jobs at a soccer stadium and hockey facility are to be used 4 hours a day, 100 days a year is a much better idea.

BTW, Muskieville is full every weekend with soccer,https://www.muscatineiowa.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Soccer-Complex-14, and baseball/softball, http://www.muscatineiowa.gov/facilities/facility/details/Kent-Stein-Park-9, tournaments. All city financed.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I don't have an issue with this type of program since the funding comes from sales and hotel/motel tax that is generated by these projects. If they don't generate the money then they don't get the money so there is some risk involved for the city/developer here. In the grand scheme of state revenue it's not very much, I might have an issue if they wanted to make the program bigger or award it every year.

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Sorry that you have terrible takes that are not in fact backed up by facts, but by your hatred of a sport. I gave you a dumb rating on multiple posts, all of which you deserved, get over it. Clown.

You’re a goddamn idiot.

I didn't really read any of this but props to both of you for some pretty solid name calling. I'm impressed

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

If any minor league sport can get an actual fan base it’s soccer, because that is what the neckbeards think being a soccer fan is. Jersey’s, scarves, marching to games, drums, smoke bombs, the ultras section Americans have this weird thing where they skip all the tradition and building in an organic way and just skip to being that West Ham United movie with Frodo in it.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
If any minor league sport can get an actual fan base it’s soccer, because that is what the neckbeards think being a soccer fan is. Jersey’s, scarves, marching to games, drums, smoke bombs, the ultras section Americans have this weird thing where they skip all the tradition and building in an organic way and just skip to being that West Ham United movie with Frodo in it.
Hell, even the Menace have some super fans

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

Help Support Us

Become a patron