Prime Rib!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Will give a recommendation for louies in clear lake. He will do everything but cook it for you. Always very helpful when I've stopped there. Good quality meat also.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
2015, back in Ohio for Christmas or down in Dallas? Either way Merry Christmas and that prime rib looks darn fine actually the whole meal did.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
V24nM0G.jpg

All kidding aside, that's a damn fine piece of meat. Like Split, I would like to have that in or around my mouth.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
You don't cook those by time you cook them by temp. Cook at 250 until 115 degrees then crank oven up to 500 and pull out at 125-130 depending on how you like your doneness. Let it rest for 30-40 minutes tented with tin foil cut and enjoy. The carry over cooking will take it to around 140.

Patience is key on perfection.

• Winner
Reactions: DarkStar

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I cooked a 7 lb prime rib last night. Came out perfect. My family prefers it at 140. If I was making it just for me, I would cook it until 130.

We used the leftovers tonight to make carne asada!

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Prime rib has become my go to for the major eating holidays. It really never gets old. I have used a basic rosemary, thyme, garlic, olive oil rub and leave it uncovered in the fridge at least overnight. An old butcher trick I learned is to take the tail of the ribeye loin, (the fatty piece that the butcher trims off) get it tenderized, and tie it back on to the top portion of the roast. This effectively acts as a baste for the roast (not that it really needs it). Put the whole thing in the oven (turning it up as hot as the oven can go to sear for about 10 minutes- locks in all the juices), turn the oven down to about 325, and cook until the internal temp is around 125 (around 20 min/lb). Pull it out to let it rest, the roast will continue to cook and the internal temp will rise 10 or 15 degrees (this should get you to a nice rare to medium rare in the center). Cut your strings, remove what is left of the tail, slice, serve, and enjoy!

Last edited:

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
Looks great. Did 8.6 lbs on Christmas Eve. Salt, pepper and minced garlic paste for rub. 20 minutes at 500 to sear the outside, then 325 until temp read 115. Rest for 20 minutes and it cooked to perfect medium rare.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 376

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Used the "Method X" method for cooking a prime rib that I saw online.

The method:

1) Let rib roast sit out overnight (at least 6 hours) so it gets to room temperature

2) Preheat oven to 500 degrees

3) Cover your roast in whatever seasoning you prefer. This particular method calls for "seasoned butter", which is 1/4 cup butter, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne, and 1 tsp of Herb de Provence. Smother the butter mixture all over the roast and then top with additional salt and pepper

4) Take exact weight of roast and multiply by 5. This is the amount of time to cook at 500 degrees. (Ex: a 5 lbs roast you would cook at 500 degrees for 25 minutes. A 7 lbs roast for 35 minutes).

5) After time has expired, turn oven off, but DO NOT OPEN the door. Leave roast sit in oven for an additional two hours.

6) After two hours have passed, you will have a perfect medium-rare prime rib.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Used the "Method X" method for cooking a prime rib that I saw online.

The method:

1) Let rib roast sit out overnight (at least 6 hours) so it gets to room temperature

2) Preheat oven to 500 degrees

3) Cover your roast in whatever seasoning you prefer. This particular method calls for "seasoned butter", which is 1/4 cup butter, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne, and 1 tsp of Herb de Provence. Smother the butter mixture all over the roast and then top with additional salt and pepper

4) Take exact weight of roast and multiply by 5. This is the amount of time to cook at 500 degrees. (Ex: a 5 lbs roast you would cook at 500 degrees for 25 minutes. A 7 lbs roast for 35 minutes).

5) After time has expired, turn oven off, but DO NOT OPEN the door. Leave roast sit in oven for an additional two hours.

6) After two hours have passed, you will have a perfect medium-rare prime rib.

Forget the guess work of step 4. Go spend 15 bucks on a meat thermometer, specifically one with a nice oven safe probe and a long cord. Set it to your desired temp and let it cook. No guessing. No weighing. You'll know exactly what is going on inside your delicious hunk of cow at all times.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron