President Candidate Subbaswamy Impresses Students and Administrators

CycloneJL

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Falls
ISU president candidate impresses staff, students | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

Madden said Subbaswamy’s firm grasp of the issues regarding a potential realignment of the Big 12 athletic conference impressed him.

“I thought his thoughts and comments were knowledgeable. He’s been thinking about that,â€￾ Madden said, noting ISU athletic director Jamie Pollard asked several questions on the topic.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
60 years old? I don't want to age discriminate but I would ask the question on how many years he feels like he could commit to being the president.
I know these searches can cost a lot of money and doing it in another 4 years isn't exactly the best use of funds.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
60 years old? I don't want to age discriminate but I would ask the question on how many years he feels like he could commit to being the president.
I know these searches can cost a lot of money and doing it in another 4 years isn't exactly the best use of funds.
On the other hand, at that age, it's less likely to be a stepping stone job for him. Like it or not, shelf life of university presdient is only 4-5 years these days.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Based on the CVs that were posted by the Register the other day he seems like the clear favorite. Nice to see that he responded well to Pollard's questions. A boss that knows his stuff I'm that area in addition to academics increases our chances of keeping Pollard around for a while.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
“It’s not really what they say, because anyone can say the right things,” Knight said. “It’s just kind of the feeling you kind of get when you talk to them. It just kind of felt like you knew him.”

My head almost blew up trying to process all of the "kind of"s in this quote.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
Based on the CVs that were posted by the Register the other day he seems like the clear favorite. Nice to see that he responded well to Pollard's questions. A boss that knows his stuff I'm that area in addition to academics increases our chances of keeping Pollard around for a while.

huh, I thought they were pretty even based on CV alone, if anything I thought the UNC VP was better.

HuxleyClone

Sep 16, 2007
ISU president candidate impresses staff, students | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

Madden said Subbaswamy’s firm grasp of the issues regarding a potential realignment of the Big 12 athletic conference impressed him.

“I thought his thoughts and comments were knowledgeable. He’s been thinking about that,â€￾ Madden said, noting ISU athletic director Jamie Pollard asked several questions on the topic.

I disregard anything Warren Madden says. That man is something else.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Not to undermine the importance of of the athletic department, I hope someone asks if he is committed to retaining our AAU membership and if he supports its STEM initiative. After all, if we don't support the educational side of the institution, the athletic department focus is as a semi-pro team rather than student athletes.

The Association of American Universities (AAU) announced on September 14, 2011, that it would undertake a five-year initiative to improve the quality of undergraduate teaching and learning in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields at its member institutions. The goals of the initiative are to help institutions assess the quality of STEM teaching on their campuses, share best practices, and create incentives for their departments and faculty members to adopt the most effective teaching methods in their classes.

He might also comment on a possible role of the athletic conference on non-athletic aspects of the membership.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow. I expected the group of "finalists" to at least include a current president of a university, peer or not of ISU. This candidate may be fine, but Kentucky is a rung below ISU in academic stature.
Couldn't the search firm and selection committee find any interest from povosts and/or top administrators from elite universities? That's disappointing.
And why just two finalists? I understand two dropped out, but are you telling me that the gap between the final four and the rest was that large, that they couldn't have slid in two or three replacements for further consideration?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron