Predictions - Football

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Found this link and I actually thought it was pretty brutal. This guy must have something against Chizik, or ISU in general. He doesn't pull any punches that's for sure.

Link

Usual Pre-season babble I guess.

I thought he summarized how the preview mags viewed us accurately, and his opinions were actually fairly accurate to what we've been discussing the last several months. I'd actually say he's on the optimistic side.

As far as him not liking Chizik, that's not his words - that's Dienhardt's words (the reporter at TSN who views Chizik as the worst hire - but only because he reported that he had inside sources that said that I forget who was going to be our hire, and then got a face full of pie when we went out and hired what many across America to consider the best coaching prospect in the nation outside of Saban - and he wasn't available then. It's just all sour grapes with Dienhardt). My impression of the article is that he thinks that Chizik has work to do - which he does - but with what Chizik's done in the offseason there's reason for careful optimism. Which is the general attitude of a lot of the members of this board.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I do expect Chizik to do well here, and in fact, with the new 10 game schedule I am honestly expecting him to get to 9 or 10 wins by year three. I just don't think this is the year, and I don't see why there is a problem with that.

12 game sked?

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
The mediocrity was never acceptable to me. I was sad when Dan was let go because he really cared about Iowa State and obviously loved it here, but I was expecting him to silence his critics last year and he did the exact opposite. In fact, in retrospect, he really lost a lot of games that he shouldn't have through the years.

Bryce you contridicted yourself. First you say mediocrity was never acceptable, I won't tolerate losing. Then that it was too bad that Dan was let go because he was a good guy. Nowhere in that statement was there any reference to him being good at his job. Then, wow you know he really lost a lot of games over the years that he should have won (realizations of misplaced blind faith).

Ummmm..........That statement admits to tolerating mediocrity, because you admitted that I thought he was going to get it done this time (many chances, many failures, no real evidence that it was ever going to happen=accepting mediocrity).

Bryce, please don't think that I am singling you out (there many worse examples of this thinking on this board), it was just a convenient example, sorry if you are offended.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
It's good we're having this discussion now - in the dead part of the off-season rather than when fall practices start - when we start getting various reports on how so-and-so is looking good in practice, etc.

Or I may be liable to write up some silly thing about a perfect storm from Ames that will unleash itself on the country.

And we all know how well that worked out last year. :baffled5wh:

At least we are talking football...lol.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
The mediocrity was never acceptable to me. I was sad when Dan was let go because he really cared about Iowa State and obviously loved it here, but I was expecting him to silence his critics last year and he did the exact opposite. In fact, in retrospect, he really lost a lot of games that he shouldn't have through the years.

I do expect Chizik to do well here, and in fact, with the new 12 game schedule I am honestly expecting him to get to 9 or 10 wins by year three. I just don't think this is the year, and I don't see why there is a problem with that.

This is where we are having a communication break down. I don't think we will win 9 or 10 games this year either, however, I think we can win more than 4. And I agree on that year 3 we should be a good season...8 - 10 wins. I think we can win 6 or 7...at least have a solid chance of winning 6 or 7 this season. I think we will have some close games in the 4th quarter but this time have the mental toughness to pull those out. And I don't see thid cadre' of coaches sitting on leads or going really conservatice trying to win by a field goal.....

May 31, 2007
Central Iowa
Well, that wasn't one of the options you gave me, Mr. Tremain. .. And boy, does your reply open an enormous can of worms...

I am not sure I understand what options (I gave you), you are referring to, nevertheless, if I have offended you, I apologize.

I thought I was merely setting forth an opinion or two, for what it is worth, that someone here or there may want to consider. Thats all.

In my opinion, for various reasons which are argumentative, if Coach Chizik has the skill and good fortune to achieve the kind of success that will generate offers to coach elsewhere, I think he is gone. The atmosphere at ISU is not as easily pliant as it is, say, at Auburn and Texas. Coach Chizik is a man of the South and as soon as he is able, he will return to the South.

On the other hand, if his program struggles, as I think it might, Coach Chizik may be here awhile. Or maybe not.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
I am not sure I understand what options (I gave you), you are referring to, nevertheless, if I have offended you, I apologize.

I thought I was merely setting forth an opinion or two, for what it is worth, that someone here or there may want to consider. Thats all.

In my opinion, for various reasons which are argumentative, if Coach Chizik has the skill and good fortune to achieve the kind of success that will generate offers to coach elsewhere, I think he is gone. The atmosphere at ISU is not as easily pliant as it is, say, at Auburn and Texas. Coach Chizik is a man of the South and as soon as he is able, he will return to the South.

On the other hand, if his program struggles, as I think it might, Coach Chizik may be here awhile. Or maybe not.
No need to apologize, Johnny. I took no offense from your comments whatsoever. I was just having fun being argumentative. I guess I did respond with both rhetorical guns blazing, so I apologize if my comments came across as a little harsh.

To clarify, you essentially said that if Chizik does well at Iowa state, he'll be gone in two or three years. I assumed that to mean that you saw only two logical outcomes for Chizik's tenure at Iowa State: 1) a relatively long stretch of mediocrity (or worse), or 2) early success and an early departure. Based on that understanding, I replied that I would rather see Chizik succeed and leave early than languish with a losing record for several years.

As for your belief that Chizik will leave if he's successful at ISU because his roots are in the South, you may be right about that. I don't want to assume that that's an automatic, though, and I think there are reasons for optimism.

JP has made a significant financial commitment to Chizik and the football program. The football facilities are undergoing a major upgrade, the assistant coaching staff has the third-highest payroll of any Big 12 football program, and Chizik himself has a very lucrative six-year contract. I don't know what the buyout clause is in the contract, but I suspect it's pretty steep. All of these things show that JP is serious about making ISU a winner in football. In the past, we lost a few good coaches like Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce because of the meager financial commitment the ISU administration was willing to give to the football program. JP has corrected that problem, and hopefully that makes ISU a more attractive place for a coach to build a program.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO

One other question, Johnny. You seem to think that Chizik isn't a good fit as Iowa State's head coach. I don't necessarily agree, but it's certainly a valid opinion. But if Chizik isn't the right man to lead the Cyclones, who, in your mind, is?

May 31, 2007
Central Iowa
I think the most important element in the whole scenario is seeing JP's plans through.

Just what are, specifically, Pollard's plans (that we should see through)?

Is there a business plan available to the public? A plan of any kind? A vision which articulates the details beyond what we hope and pray. Pollard has sent a lot of people (coaches and others) packing and maybe more to come. No doubt that we have seen that through.

In my view, the thrust of the capital expenditure plans made public to date is for the ISU athletic department to build, with due speed, more luxury suites at Jack Trice and install luxury suites at Hilton. Improving the playground of the super rich; I do not care if we ever see that through.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006

Is there a business plan available to the public? A plan of any kind? A vision which articulates the details beyond what we hope and pray. Pollard has sent a lot of people (coaches and others) packing and maybe more to come. No doubt that we have seen that through.

In my view, the thrust of the capital expenditure plans made public to date is for the ISU athletic department to build, with due speed, more luxury suites at Jack Trice and install luxury suites at Hilton. Improving the playground of the super rich; I do not care if we ever see that through.

You have to have one to get the other. Luxury sweets bring in big money and are rented by the season. Which allows ISU to get money to make facility improvements that in turn bring in recruits. The "The next big Step" is a good outline of the future oif ISU sports and JP has been very public and vocal about his vision for ISU sports. We need the luxurey suites...they are guaranteed money.

Last edited:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'd have to disagree with you there Johnny...although the suites are a part of it, the expansion of the stadium would be huge in building more of a real gameday college football atmosphere...plus, I have no complaints with any of the coaching moves Pollard has made, getting McDermott and Chizik, two young up and coming coaches who I believe will get ISU to the "next level". I appreciate the jobs that McCarney and Morgan did in their times at ISU, but I think most people would agree that if ISU really wants to eventually be competetive with the Kansas' and the Texas schools in the conference (minus Baylor), the coaching changes were necessary. Time will tell if everything works out, but I like the attitude Pollard brings and I like the direction things appear to be heading so far.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Here is a link to the Facilities Master Plan...

Cyclones.com link

You can find it again anytime by going to the Cyclones homepage and clicking the "Facilities Master Plan" button found in the left menu.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You'll find, the luxary suites are in the first phase. Strategically to help raise the money for the later steps that will provide benefit to everyone.

This Master Plan is not just something that was thrown together, is only something he hopes to do or will only benefit the big donors.

This is likely going to be the biggest thing JP will hang his hat on. Hirings will be big, no question - yet that's something that is done rather quickly. This Master Plan will take years - something that is by far no easy task. I can't wait for him to see it through!

May 31, 2007
Central Iowa
You seem to think that Chizik isn't a good fit as Iowa State's head coach.

It is not relevant who I think should be our football coach. It is Jamie Pollard's perogative, as athletic director, to choose whom he wishes to be the coach of our football program. He is responsible for its success or failure.

Having said that, I had a different expectation about who would be hired as our new coach.

I am neither pro or anti Chizik. It took a little time for me to warm up to McCarney, but I did. However, I am annoyed that the biggest news nationally regarding the ISU football program in the Chizik era is an unecessary contreversy over his proposal to hire a staff chaplain for the football team.

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames

You worry me Johnny. You sound like someone who does not think we can do better. The only people that I have heard say that we cannot retain a winning coach are fans of schools that we play against. The only people that I have heard not want our facilities plan to succeed are also from those schools. (I do associate with mostly ISU fanatics so maybe we are sheep.)
Why as a fan would you not believe in ISU, in JP, in something better than what we have had? Get on baord, it is much more fun to ride the wave of momentum than to fire rocks at it from the beach. No Debbie Downers in this group!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It is not relevant who I think should be our football coach.

It is when you make comments that hint at you not being a fan of the Chizik hire. This is a message board discussion about ISU football, you're not in front of a Grand Jury - so there's no need to talk in circles. Tell us what you really feel. Just, let it out. :wink0st:

Having said that, I had a different expectation about who would be hired as our new coach.

Again, would be interested to see what those expectations were.

However, I am annoyed that the biggest news nationally regarding the ISU football program in the Chizik era is an unecessary contreversy over his proposal to hire a staff chaplain for the football team.

I get the vibe you're less annoyed about the Chaplain issue itself but more annoyed there hasn't been something to preempt it.

What did you expect to be going on in Ames that anyone outside of the fanbase would have enough interest to print - about a football team that went a very ugly 4-8 last year. There wasn't time to put together a huge recruiting class. The spring game was deliberately very vanilla.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Staff chaplain... that sounds like something from the south.

Went to the Texas game... all the players had to go to the end zone and kneal before the game started

(Sorry if the comment is out of place, I´m in Europe and hadn´t heard about the staff Chaplain)

And like others have said, the luxury suits may benefit the rich directly, but the rich benefit the rest of us by funding further improvements to the facilities and attracting better staffs/recruits. Plus it makes the place look better - I love Jack Trice but after going to the Texas and Oklahoma games last year it felt really small to come back to...

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
It is not relevant who I think should be our football coach. It is Jamie Pollard's perogative, as athletic director, to choose whom he wishes to be the coach of our football program. He is responsible for its success or failure.

I am neither pro or anti Chizik. It took a little time for me to warm up to McCarney, but I did. However, I am annoyed that the biggest news nationally regarding the ISU football program in the Chizik era is an unecessary contreversy over his proposal to hire a staff chaplain for the football team.

Who did you want as coacH?

I would rather have the national news be the chaplian than a player/coach getting charged with a felony or any other law problem....

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I would rather have the national news be the chaplian than a player/coach getting charged with a felony or any other law problem....

AMEN!!! After all the arrests and other problems we´ve had, a chaplain probally is a good thing :rolleyes5cz: