Predictions - Football

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
22 you keep saying how Jackson is a key lose he was a key lose when he went down early in the OU game so he was gone for half the year. ISU had to throw in a true freshman in to get on the job training when he really needed a readshirt year (like McDowell) to get a big 12 build. By the Missouri game Dernard Williams was playing really well even better then Jackson was a some points last year. Garrin also got put into playing before he should have but not after playing minutes and getting time in the weight room to get bigger I think he will be just as good at T Mac and bibbs may come in a be better just like Allen may come in and be better then Singleton and Williams. Also tuba start the season in shape and be better bacause he has played a year at DL on OL. I think the team attitude and coaching will get them to 7 wins, will be upset win they lose yes because I am a die hard fan. I won't call the season a failure if they go 4-8 again as long as the team plays hard the whole year and doesn't give up like they did last year. You always set your goals higher then expected so you have to work to meet them and have that be a challage.

Tell me, who would you feel more comfortable with at corner when we face the likes of Nebraska, Texas, etc...

Jackson or Williams/McDowell (pending McDowell's punishment, he may not be an option for some/all of the season).

Williams did grow as a player last year and I won't dispute it. Yet he's not Jackson. To say he played better than DeAndre at times is - well...whatever.

Linebackers, I like Garrin a lot. He does have some skill/talent - yet for the most part it's untested and he's inexperienced. McKinzie > Garrin today.

This talk of how the JUCO's will perform and Tuba discussions are all "what if" scenarios. Guys, we know what we lost in Jackson, Curvey, Moorehead, McKinzie and so on. We don't know much about what we have in these other guys that are going to fill in for them.

To think each of these players will pan out and perform at the same level or better as those departed is very naive. Some of them may, yet even those that do - it will take time. On-the-job training. And that will involve mistakes, understandably so.

Mistakes on the football field however, do equate to losses - not wins.

As far as goal setting, if I heard the football team's goal was 4-8 or even 6-6 - I'd be mighty upset and wonder just what kind of coach we hired. I know without a doubt that's not what this team is thinking.

However, as fans - each of us are able to use our best judgment to asses the team and project how they'll do. Looking at how our performance was last year and what we have this year - my judgment tells me we'll lose more in '07 than we'll win. After that, I expect that tide to turn.

Last edited:

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Just because you'd rather have less tackles for an ILB and more wins doesn't mean that's the formula. :wink0st:

Good coaching and talent however, usually is the forumula for W's. Both will take time. Yeah, I did say both.

We do need to remember this is Gene's first head coaching gig. To think it will be a completely smooth transition for him would be a bit presumptuous.

I did not say that that was any sort of formula....

TMac had 129 tackles on the worst defense in college football. What I am saying is we will have some one good enough to get 8 - 12 tackles per game....on what I think will be a better defense. No one knows how our talent stacks up. We were the biggest underachievers in college football last year....

Do I think we are Texas, OU, NU, or aTm.....no. But I do not see a huge drop of between ISU... KU, KSU, Mizzou, or CU....even Iowa...we will have chance in all those games. An winning 6 or 7 games is not coming out and saying I think a 1st year coach is going to win the North or 9 or 10 games. I am going to say my expectations are better then winning 1 - 4 games and I have to expecet so are GC's.

Last edited:

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Tell me, who would you feel more comfortable with at corner when we face the likes of Nebraska, Texas, etc...

Jackson or Williams/McDowell (pending McDowell's punishment, he may not be an option for some/all of the season).

Williams did grow as a player last year and I won't dispute it. Yet he's not Jackson. To say he played better than DeAndre at times is - well...whatever.

Linebackers, I like Garrin a lot. He does have some skill/talent - yet for the most part it's untested and he's inexperienced. McKinzie > Garrin today.

This talk of how the JUCO's will perform and Tuba discussions are all "what if" scenarios. Guys, we know what we lost in Jackson, Curvey, Moorehead, McKinzie and so on. We don't know much about what we have in these other guys that are going to fill in for them.

To think each of these players will pan out and perform at the same level or better as those departed is very naive. Some of them may, yet even those that do - it will take time. On-the-job training. And that will involve mistakes, understandably so.

Mistakes on the football field however, do equate to losses - not wins.

As far as goal setting, if I heard the football team's goal was 4-8 or even 6-6 - I'd be mighty upset and wonder just what kind of coach we hired. I know without a doubt that's not what this team is thinking.

However, as fans - each of us are able to use our best judgment to asses the team and project how they'll do. Looking at how our performance was last year and what we have this year - my judgment tells me we'll lose more in '07 than we'll win. After that, I expect that tide to turn.

I never said the JUCO's would perform better the word I used was MAY and don't excpect it. Jackson was good but he did get beat a lot the reason NFL teams like him so much before is injury was not his cover skills it was his speed and size. A large part of the reason Jackson and all of ISU's corners got beat alot was the defensive scheme and poor coaching. I just think that with the team getting taught better techniques they will be far better. Those changes will result in wins over team with about the same talent level as ISU. I.E. CU, KU, KSU, and Iowa.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not sure we can say we're that close in talent to teams like Kansas, Colorado and such. These teams didn't just beat us last year - they embarrassed us.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You guys convinced me. If we don't go to a bowl game next year Gene should be fired. He expects to win, I expect to win, no excuses.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not sure we can say we're that close in talent to teams like Kansas, Colorado and such. These teams didn't just beat us last year - they embarrassed us.

I think that was more oc a coaching issue. We had 2 NFL quality lineman on the line last year, but we could not run or give Meyer any time. Everyone is picking us to get beat by Mizzou this year, but we did beat them last year. We were a poorley coached team last year and had better talent then what are record showed. Teams change from year-to-year and as coaches change. KSU won 7-games last year and no one here thought they would win any games....why? because of talent, shedule, and a new coach.

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
because of talent, shedule, and a new coach.

Unlike KSU from '06, we've got the benefit of just 1 of those 3 things.

I'm fully aware of the 2 linemen on NFL rosters, I brought it up earlier. Yet that's just 2 of 5 guys. We had some talent last year and have some this year - but only in spots.

Spotty talent will give you at best a spotty record.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
You guys convinced me. If we don't go to a bowl game next year Gene should be fired. He expects to win, I expect to win, no excuses.

Whatever....twist thing being siad how you want...

Someone says they think we are going to win more than 1-to-4 games and you twist it into we are saying we are going to win 11 games, win the north, and play in the national championship. ISUfan22 and I have been having good conversation. I can see his points, but I am just making some points I believe in. I am a little more optimstic for the season...who knows maybe it will burn me in the end. But your statement just makes no sense and you are just trying to "lash out" at people that don't agree with exactley what you think....aren't you a moderator?

Last edited:

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Unlike KSU from '06, we've got the benefit of just 1 of those 3 things.

I'm fully aware of the 2 linemen on NFL rosters, I brought it up earlier. Yet that's just 2 of 5 guys. We had some talent last year and have some this year - but only in spots.

Spotty talent will give you at best a spotty record.

I don't completeley disagree with you on that. I know you brought up the lineman, thats why I brought it up in this conversation, but we will have to agree to diagree on the fact that KU, KSU, MIZZOU, and CU are in any better shape...maybe Mizzou....but they have done nothing in the past to prove to me that they are not over rated this year. Spotty talent does not always lead to spotty records....good coaches can coach past that and get players to come together. Get them bigger, faster , and stronger. An manage games better. Once agian saying I think we can win 6 - 8 games is not saying I think we will win the north or go to BCS game. I think 6 wins is spotty....1-4 wins is bad....just my opinion.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Someone says they think we are going to win more than 1-to-4 games and you twist it into people think we are saying we are going to qin 11 game, win the north, and play in the national championship.

I don't blame you, but some people have said that I have a loser mentality and I'm holding ISU football back from achievement because I don't think they'll win more than 4 games this year. Frankly I think how I personally feel about the teams chances this season will have zero effect on how the team performs. This is why I don't often reply to football threads - I'm often accused of being part of the "problem" that is the ISU fanbase.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Spotty talent does not always lead to spotty records....good coaches can coach past that and get players to come together. Get them bigger, faster , and stronger. An manage games better.

I don't disagree with this either. Just know those things don't happen in one year. I'm only looking at '07 at this point. Beyond that, I see good things for ISU and expect them. We didn't change coaches to maintain the status quo.

Like some have stated, I see the '07 football season being much like the '06/'07 basketball season. Often times we were out-matched in talent and skill, yet we fought hard in each and every game - improving as the weeks went by. While our record didn't show it, anyone watching the team knew they were improving.

Does this football team have the ability to win a game or two they shouldn't? Of course - almost every team has that chance - that's why the games are played. Some of you predicted a win or two like that and it's great.

My predictions/assessments are strictly off of what I've seen from this team compared to the rest of the league and what my realistic expectations are - void of maybes (based on certain players being better than we've seen in the past) and emotion.

That doesn't mean I won't be in the stands each home Saturday yelling my lungs out, rooting my team on. I surely won't leave with a smile on my face or content after a loss - I'll be just as upset as the next guy.

Last edited:

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
I don't blame you, but some people have said that I have a loser mentality and I'm holding ISU football back from achievement because I don't think they'll win more than 4 games this year. Frankly I think how I personally feel about the teams chances this season will have zero effect on how the team performs. This is why I don't often reply to football threads - I'm often accused of being part of the "problem" that is the ISU fanbase.

Well, no one really knows what is going to happen....that is why we play the games. I have my reasons to be optimistic and I am more optimistic going into this season than last. I would rather go into the season with the defense we had last year than this year and the coaches we have this year. I don'k our o'line can be any worse this year than last and there is nowhere to go but up....even with the loss of Brandt and Stephenson. Although, the o line is my biggest concern.....

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't completeley disagree with you on that. I know you brought up the lineman, thats why I brought it up in this conversation, but we will have to agree to diagree on the fact that KU, KSU, MIZZOU, and CU are in any better shape...maybe Mizzou....but they have done nothing in the past to prove to me that they are not over rated this year. Spotty talent does not always lead to spotty records....good coaches can coach past that and get players to come together. Get them bigger, faster , and stronger. An manage games better. Once agian saying I think we can win 6 - 8 games is not saying I think we will win the north or go to BCS game. I think 6 wins is spotty....1-4 wins is bad....just my opinion.

I tend to agree with this. Sure, we're spotty in the talent area, but so is KSU, KU, CU, and to an extent MU. Even kNU is spotty here and there, but they've got the best talent in a weak North that they'll likely run away with. So it comes down to coaches. Pinkel has all the appearances of DMac, the Blueberry has done very little at Kansas, and Prince looks to have things "looking up," but is still years away. I don't know what these coaches' resumes looked like when they took the HC job, but I'm not sure it compares to Chizik's. We had the talent last year. It's just something happened after that unnecessary roughness call in the Texas game that completely drained the heart and soul of the football team. We weren't really even competitive after that until the Mizzou "win one for the Mac" game. Outside of the O-line, I just don't see how the talent level is so different from last year. I think this year it comes down to attitude and mental toughness, and Chizik has been installing that since day 1. We will go through rough patches (especially during that 5 game losing streak that I foresee), but, unlike last year where that would be enough to kill the season, I see Chizik using it to build character in the team when we come to face KSU, CU, and KU at the end of the season. Chizik's gonna make sure each and every head is held high after every game, regardless of W or L. I think much like our MBB team last year when we were competing with just about everyone at the end of the season, we get to face 3 not-so-quite talented teams, and I just see it as "lunchtime..."

Last edited:

yannballer

Feb 21, 2007
Rochester, MN
Kent State-W
Northern Iowa-W
Iowa-W
at Toledo-W
at Nebraska-L
at Texas Tech-W
Texas-L
Oklahoma-L
at Missouri-L
Kansas State-L
Colorado-W
at Kasas-W

7-5 - I think we tighten up our secondary tremendously, Meyer and Blythe give us what they did their sophomore years, and somehow we find a glimpse of a running game - all of which will depend on how well our o-line and d-line can match up vs their competition. If our line plays like last year i say we go 5-7. I can live with 5-7 simply b/c it would be definitie improvement from last year, which we all need to FORGET about and get it out of our heads.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's good we're having this discussion now - in the dead part of the off-season rather than when fall practices start - when we start getting various reports on how so-and-so is looking good in practice, etc.

Or I may be liable to write up some silly thing about a perfect storm from Ames that will unleash itself on the country.

And we all know how well that worked out last year. :baffled5wh:

Brady12

Aug 11, 2006
Found this link and I actually thought it was pretty brutal. This guy must have something against Chizik, or ISU in general. He doesn't pull any punches that's for sure.

Link

Usual Pre-season babble I guess.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006

Bryce, I think the thing that you are missing, and maybe I haven't explained it clearly in my posts on this topic, is not record prediction, it's more, "how you feel about the team's chances."

Believe me, noone on here, even though people like to talk themselves into things which leads to disappointments so they can lament the situation on this website (remember basketball season), is planning any BCS bowl trips this year.

The point that WycHoff (spelled it right finally), Cyclone 1, etc are making is that there is a coach in place (finally) that is not spending ANY time trying to come up with meaningless statistics, he's not looking at his facilities, and worrying that they aren't as nice as UT's or Auburn's, he's contacting recruits and not worrying about the fact that they would have never looked at Iowa State in the past, you get the idea. He is not looking for one reason to make it allright to fail.

He isn't looking at the schedule, nor is he looking at fact that he doesn't have as many good players as a UT, OU, heck even Iowa. He is looking at the group he has, and trying like hell to figure out how to be as successful as possible, and to win that next game. The last thing he wants is for the attitude of the fans to give these players a feeling that it's OK to lose, even if you played hard.

The mediocrity, that people were so grateful for in the past will no longer be acceptable. And, again, the hardest part of turning this program around will be fighting the self esteem issues of the fans. Be positive, even if we go 0-12, know that this man that is running the football program is going to get it done, and expect it. Conversely, if we go 12-0. this same man won't be satisfied either.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He screwed up on J.J. Bass by having J.J. Milan. And I think some of the comments quoted in other mags toward Chizik were a bit silly.

However, as brutal as that may have been to read and like it or not - it was rather accurate.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The mediocrity, that people were so grateful for in the past will no longer be acceptable. And, again, the hardest part of turning this program around will be fighting the self esteem issues of the fans. Be positive, even if we go 0-12, know that this man that is running the football program is going to get it done, and expect it. Conversely, if we go 12-0. this same man won't be satisfied either.

Well put.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

The mediocrity was never acceptable to me. I was sad when Dan was let go because he really cared about Iowa State and obviously loved it here, but I was expecting him to silence his critics last year and he did the exact opposite. In fact, in retrospect, he really lost a lot of games that he shouldn't have through the years.

I do expect Chizik to do well here, and in fact, with the new 12 game schedule I am honestly expecting him to get to 9 or 10 wins by year three. I just don't think this is the year, and I don't see why there is a problem with that.

Last edited: