Post Game: McDermott on Iowa Win

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
If the psyche of the team is really as fragile as he appears to infer this is going to be tough to fix.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
So we have players with more hurt feelings? This is the reason this team has no grit - no toughness. If GMac is hurting players feelings can you imagine what Larry would have done to these guys - they would be crying in the corner for their mommies.

Reactions: Tornado man

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
SO...you're saying that you might hurt their feelings?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zI3_pnUU3k"]YouTube - "Hurt Feelings" [RAP version] - Flight of the Conchords[/ame]

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
you guys are so right. The mental state, confidence, and motivation of individual players have absolutely no place in Division I college basketball coaching, and any coach who is attempting to address issues like these with his team is obviously terrible.

Reactions: CycloneErik

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
you guys are so right. The mental state, confidence, and motivation of individual players have absolutely no place in Division I college basketball coaching, and any coach who is attempting to address issues like these with his team is obviously terrible.

The point is I don't think GMac is tough on them and in comparison to LE GMac is a creampuff. LE's teams were tough and gritty because of the coach and the type of players he recruited. GMac may need to recruit a few hardnosed kids because they will take the other players to task and increase the overall toughness of the team.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think this thread and story are needed, but obviously, it's not going to reach some (alleged) fans. Momentum is huge in college sports (not just at Iowa State). I feel confident in saying that the loss against Northwestern led to the loss to UNI, led to the loss at Cal. Get behind this team! Or get another one.

Reactions: Mr Janny

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
It just hit me as I sit here watching the movie Robots with my 2 year old and reading the posts of all of the "level headed" witch-hunt posters who seem to make up a vocal minority here...

McDuddypants is so stupid not to have seen this before...we should be recruiting ROBOTS!!! Then we wouldn't have to worry about all these emotions of the game and worrying about roles and stuff. We could program them to rebound and dive on the floor and for the REAL basketball genius types, we could get one that was a shooter and posted up on 5'9 players :jimlad:

Seriously, you guys that are going off about them talking about their mental make-up need to wake up...everybody on scholarship in the Big 12 has the physical tools to play, their mentality is a huge part of what separates the stars from the players that never see the court. How dare they talk about such things and discuss roles?!?!?! Get a clue people (disclaimer: I'm sure 95% of you haters realize this, you are just looking at something to nit-pick on since we won)

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
I feel less confident about this team and Gmac after reading this. Sitting down so everyone can share their feelings. Are you kidding me. I really don't think Gmac has the control/respect from the team. I don't think he exhibits an attitude that coaches needs over their teams. I honestly don't feel good after this read. :no:

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
GMac is a smart coach and will do everything he can to get this taken care of but after reading the interview it appears to me some players have not liked his decsions and GMac said he was not perfect - admitting your mistakes is part of leadership. However, GMac needs to let these guys know he is the leader of this team and what he says goes - why because it is for the good of the team. The players need to realize that his livelyhood depends on how his teams perform and that every decision he makes is for the benefit of the team.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
ISU teams in the past use to have the mentality bend, but never break.

It seems like we have bunch premadonas on the court...me me me me. Grow a pair and except your role... make the most of your minutes. The guy that plays the hardest will be remembered more, then the guy that scores the most points.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
So we have players with more hurt feelings? This is the reason this team has no grit - no toughness. If GMac is hurting players feelings can you imagine what Larry would have done to these guys - they would be crying in the corner for their mommies.
The point is I don't think GMac is tough on them and in comparison to LE GMac is a creampuff. LE's teams were tough and gritty because of the coach and the type of players he recruited. GMac may need to recruit a few hardnosed kids because they will take the other players to task and increase the overall toughness of the team.

Was Larry a lot more hard core than Mac on his players? Absolutely...I'm sure you would be pumping sunshine if he was here though since the only players from this team that might last more than a year (or even a semester) with his style would possibly be Hamilton and SC. Then the people that whine about Mac needing to rip into his players all the time would be ******** about how LE needs to quit running off all the talent.

Kids are different these days. All the people calling for a Bobby Knight style coach, name me one (outside of maybe Coach K and that's because he's at a very established place, but even that is on the downslide and I would argue it is because of the mentality of today's stars) coach that is "like Knight" and successful in today's BCS arena. Players don't want to go play for somebody like that, and coaches walk a fine line between being a disciplinarian and running players off with negativity. I think we saw it toward the end of LE's tenure too. I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with Stinson and Blalock, but being honest with myself as much as I loved him I guarantee you at least 1 would have left by the end of the first year at the latest...

Reactions: CycloneErik

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
I feel less confident about this team and Gmac after reading this. Sitting down so everyone can share their feelings. Are you kidding me. I really don't think Gmac has the control/respect from the team. I don't think he exhibits an attitude that coaches needs over their teams. I honestly don't feel good after this read. :no:

Astounding. The naivety in your post is nothing short of miraculous. Every single coach in the world, regardless of sport, has to deal with the psyche of their players. It is one of the most, if not THE most important part of a coach's job. The most talented team in the country is nothing without the proper motivation and mental state. Discussing issues like this with the team is not weak, and it doesn't display a lack of control. To think so is pure ignorance.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
GMac is a smart coach and will do everything he can to get this taken care of but after reading the interview it appears to me some players have not liked his decsions and GMac said he was not perfect - admitting your mistakes is part of leadership. However, GMac needs to let these guys know he is the leader of this team and what he says goes - why because it is for the good of the team. The players need to realize that his livelyhood depends on how his teams perform and that every decision he makes is for the benefit of the team.

show me where, in Chris's article, it says anything to suggest that G-Mac has done anything other than this.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I realise that a lot of you hate our coach and just want to find something to complain about but WOW that's really digging. Have you never heard of struggling teams doing things like this before or is it that you just don't follow and understand sports?

Maybe everyone's right though. Mac should probably sit back and just let everything continue on the way its going. Not addressing issues is usually the best way.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
All the people calling for a Bobby Knight style coach, name me one (outside of maybe Coach K and that's because he's at a very established place, but even that is on the downslide and I would argue it is because of the mentality of today's stars) coach that is "like Knight" and successful in today's BCS arena. Players don't want to go play for somebody like that, and coaches walk a fine line between being a disciplinarian and running players off with negativity. I think we saw it toward the end of LE's tenure too. I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with Stinson and Blalock, but being honest with myself as much as I loved him I guarantee you at least 1 would have left by the end of the first year at the latest...

You go down the Top 25 and you will probably see more of the tough coaches than the so called 'players coaches'. Watching Kentucky and UConn the other day was a great display of two of the most hardassed coaches you will ever see. Calapari seems like he may be a players coach, but he also got caught calling a player a ***** on national tv and berating him... Everyone knows about Calhoun.