Post Game: McDermott on Iowa Win

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the idea of a meeting like that is a fantastic way to gain chemistry on the team, and also to allow everyone to get things off their chests. Those who are attacking that thought are:

A. People who won't support Mac until he gets to the Elite 8.

B. Little boys who don't realize that you don't have be scared of the word feelings.

Reactions: Angie

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think the idea of a meeting like that is a fantastic way to gain chemistry on the team, and also to allow everyone to get things off their chests. Those who are attacking that thought are:

A. People who won't support Mac until he gets to the Elite 8.

B. Little boys who don't realize that you don't have be scared of the word feelings.

Right. Except for a couple of things:

A. People will at that point say, "Well, LE got us there sooner. I thought JP wanted to take THE NEXT BIG STEP. Well, nice job. 4-5 years in and we take the same step we took 9 years ago.

B. Hiding behind the keyboard, the same people that express their own insecurity probably won't acknowledge feelings having a role in athletics even though they do in everything else people do.

That said, I'm not the most emotional guy out there. I'm much more of a robot that an emoter, but I know that emotions count for a lot, especially with young folks.

jsheep

Apr 11, 2006
How about having some communication on rebounding. I'm astounded at our lack of rebounding. I was trying to point out to my kids during the game how to rebound and it took about 5 minutes before I could finally point out a box out.

How many times do we take a 3 and we have three other guys on the perimeter?

I think an improvement in rebouding should be a huge priority.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
What I took form this is that we are still a work in progress. Teams no matter how talented they are that succeed are the ones that do it as a team. We have the talent the main thing we need to work on is realizing how to win as a team including players and coaches.

The biggest detriment right now is the over-hyped expectations due to the success the team had against over matched opponents earlier this season.

Reactions: Angie

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
You go down the Top 25 and you will probably see more of the tough coaches than the so called 'players coaches'. Watching Kentucky and UConn the other day was a great display of two of the most hardassed coaches you will ever see. Calapari seems like he may be a players coach, but he also got caught calling a player a ***** on national tv and berating him... Everyone knows about Calhoun.

And all of those coaches are not NEARLY as hard core with berating their players as they used to be. Calipari can chew guys out because they know he's going to turn around and give them a few grand for a night out when they get back to the locker room :wink:

Seriously he might have gone off on somebody, but that guy was still back in a few minutes later, and he had some McDonald's AA's to throw in if the guy didn't shape up...it's a little easier to do that in his situation. Also did I mention that later he'll probably give him a few G's to make up for it?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
And all of those coaches are not NEARLY as hard core with berating their players as they used to be. Calipari can chew guys out because they know he's going to turn around and give them a few grand for a night out when they get back to the locker room :wink:

Seriously he might have gone off on somebody, but that guy was still back in a few minutes later, and he had some McDonald's AA's to throw in if the guy didn't shape up...it's a little easier to do that in his situation. Also did I mention that later he'll probably give him a few G's to make up for it?

Granted I dont watch Mac every sec while watching a game but there are times he looks like he is getting on different players.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Granted I dont watch Mac every sec while watching a game but there are times he looks like he is getting on different players.

Definitely I have seen this several times...he's not a yeller and a screamer because he doesn't have to be to mean business...if he put that big paw on my shoulder like he does after a bad turnover by a young guard or a missed box-out by a post player I'd be busting my hump for the rest of the season :yes:

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
This is probably the funniest thing in this thread.

I'm assuming you mean the absolute slaughtering of that phrase..

For anyone who doesn't know, the phrase is "prima donna", which literally means "first lady" in Italian. But I digress..

I'm amazed at the reaction of a number of people. And I see more who are on my line of thinking later on in this thread. I thought the Q&A was a great read, and it was encouraging to see those responses from GMac.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks him having that meeting was a problem is crazy.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
These guys have been playing together for 6 months and you think they have a ton of chemistry? They're going to make mistakes all season because of chemistry. It happens. They've played a lot together, but not enough together to know what each other are thinking at all times on the floor.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron