Portable GPS

cj0227

Mar 21, 2006
Pleasant Hill
Does anyone have a Garmin, Tom Tom, or similar? Looking at giving one as a gift and not sure where to start looking.

Would be used mostly in rental cars maybe 8-10 weeks out of the year.

Any input is appreciated.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've had good luck with Garmin. I've heard the TomTom's can send you on some weird scenic routes even when you choose "fastest route".

As far as updates for the Garmin. The map updates can cost as much as the GPS itself. By the time you need an update it will probably be cheaper to buy a new GPS. I have 3 year old maps and I rarely even think about adding new ones.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
No monthly fee's you can download new maps online but they are not free. You can get different voices and what not too.

You can also use a blue tooth enabled phone with wireless internet to connect to the Tom Tom's to get weather and traffic updates.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I have a Garmin also, I love it. Driving in LA is horrible and it helps a lot. I've heard you can add stuff to it like Traffic info and stuff but I haven't looked into it yet. You can also type in the name of a restaurant or search for a post office or find a store or anything you would want to go to and it will give you directions to it.

It was the best driving across country and it would tell me how far a gas station was and I would be able to drive until my take was all the way empty without fear of not having a gas station close.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Is there a monthly fee or service fee to these things? Can you update them free on the internet or how does that work?

No monthly fee and you can update software and icons and some other things (the one I have anyway) for free on the internet. Like the last poster said, maps are expensive. So, buy one with the map you are most likely to use (I assume North America).

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Will your car rat you out? - MSN Money

=(

There are benefits and roadblocks.

I have now just taken my Garmin out of the car smashed it to a thousand pieces and threw it into a garbage truck. Ha! Track that Garbage Truck Big Brother!!! Next thing you think they would want to do is create a database of the American people with retinal scans, palm prints and tattoos. But I'm not worried, that would never happen. :wink:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Next thing you think they would want to do is create a database of the American people with retinal scans, palm prints and tattoos. But I'm not worried, that would never happen. :wink:

Oh no you didnt! ha ha! :yes:

Subliminal message:
Please keep buying Garmin, it makes us stockholders happy.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I have a Garmin 340 and love it. It has way to many features on it for the $127 I paid for it through Sam's Club. You can put your destination in and when we are 2 1/2 hours away it tells us what time we are to make it home and usually within 2-3 minutes. Also love how, if you miss a turn, then it automatically recalculates the trip for you.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I have tomtom for my Treo and love it.

The major name ones are all pretty good, and pretty much the same.

cyclon

Nov 26, 2006
I have a Mio Digiwalker 230c and it works pretty well. It is an entry model at about $150, but offers more bang for your buck then some $200-300 models, including text to speech.

Carl1977

Apr 27, 2006
Cambridge, Iowa
I've had good luck with Garmin. I've heard the TomTom's can send you on some weird scenic routes even when you choose "fastest route".

As far as updates for the Garmin. The map updates can cost as much as the GPS itself. By the time you need an update it will probably be cheaper to buy a new GPS. I have 3 year old maps and I rarely even think about adding new ones.

I have a Garmin 340 and received the updated maps free for 2008. I bought it in January 2007. Next year the maps will cost 75 dollars. The price of the 340 Street Pilot has dropped over 150 dollars since I purchased mine so the price of GPS is getting lower all the time. I wouldn't travel without it. Best investment I've made for travel by auto. I like Karen the Australian for directions.
c

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I have a Garmin 340 and received the updated maps free for 2008. I bought it in January 2007. Next year the maps will cost 75 dollars. The price of the 340 Street Pilot has dropped over 150 dollars since I purchased mine so the price of GPS is getting lower all the time. I wouldn't travel without it. Best investment I've made for travel by auto. I like Karen the Australian for directions.
c

I gotta switch my voice on my Garmin. I want Karen the Australian:sad:

Help Support Us

Become a patron