Pontiac Silverdome was imploded today

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
If they're lucky they'll be able to find the short and do another shot. Hopefully for them it's on the outer edges.

The problem now is even excavators can't really be next to it since the base is unstable as well...you're going to have high potential for problems just moving things up top. Something falls and sets off a collapse even a long reach machine would IMHO be too close.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
The good news is it's in the perfect place...Detroit.

Everything up there is FUBAR and on the verge of collapse. Why should the Silverdome be any different? : )

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Sadly, someone is losing there job over this.

I wonder how they go about finishing the job? Im sure the structure is super unstable now which would make it hard to enter and reset charges

They should call in an air strike!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Worst case scenario for any implosion. They could use a small earthquake on command.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Not exactly sure what your point is - Auburn Hills isn't Detroit, either. Detroit ends at 8 Mile Road. The Silverdome is at about the equivalent of 21-22 Mile Road. I am basically 20 miles east of the Silverdome and I live between 21-22 Mile Roads..

It was a question, not a point. I was happy to see Tim Horton's all over last time I was out there though. I am a fan.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It was a question, not a point. I was happy to see Tim Horton's all over last time I was out there though. I am a fan.

Wasn't trying to be a DB, I just wasn't quite sure what you were asking. One thing you have to recognize with Michigan is communities started out as 6 x 6 mile townships. Yeah, not much different than most of America, including Iowa, but the difference is townships are still a very real thing here (in fact, I live in one - Macomb is a township). Michigan even has this unique thing called "charter townships", which is an organized community somewhere between a township and a city (up until a year ago I lived in a place called Charter Township of Clinton - it has a population of ~100k).

Anyway, back to Auburn Hills - yes, Auburn Hills and Pontiac are neighbors - Auburn Hills kind of wraps around Pontiac on the east and north sides. They both came out of what was once called Pontiac Township, founded in 1827. Pontiac incorporated as a city in 1861. However, it wasn't the entire township that became Pontiac. That didn't stop Pontiac annexing land from the township over the next 100 years. Over those years Pontiac and Pontiac Township became two separate communities (Pontiac Township containing a village called Auburn Heights, incorporated near the same time Pontiac was incorporated as a village in the 1820s). In 1978 Pontiac Township became Pontiac Charter Township to prevent the city of Pontiac from annexing any more land (one of the distinguishing features between townships and charter townships is charter townships have more legal rights). In 1983 Pontiac Charter Township became Auburn Hills.

And yes, one of the gifts to the world that Canada has given us is Tim Horton's. I'm kind of "whatever" on their donuts, but I love their coffee and they have a really good lunch menu.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It makes you realize how overdesigned it was. If I ever design a stadium I’m gonna make it so the whole thing falls down if enough fat people go to the upper deck.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You can get a beautiful house in Detroit for 200k. I want to move there.

Depends on what you mean by "Detroit". If you mean within Detroit, you can probably get a really nice house in a gated community, or at least one of the safer neighborhoods in the city, for much cheaper than $200k. If you're talking in one of the surrounding suburbs, good luck with that. I wish we were in a position to buy a home 5 years ago. We could have bought a similar home to what we bought last year for at least $50k cheaper - or, at least we could have bought an even nicer home than what we got for the money. Not that I'm complaining about this house, it just needs... a lot of work for a house that's only 25 years old.

Reactions: Doc