POLLARD'S STATEMENT ON STATE FUNDING

Monkey

Mar 29, 2010
The Hawkeyes will get an allocation from the State Department of Corrections for housing and food costs for some of the inmates in the athletic dorms.

Aug 6, 2006
The Hawkeyes will get an allocation from the State Department of Corrections for housing and food costs for some of the inmates in the athletic dorms.

Boom! That just happened. Monkey putting Hawks in their place since 2010.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the great TV package that the Big 12 has. Whoever negotiated that deal needs to be fired. I don't know all the numbers but the SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc have got to be making money hands over fists compared to our deal.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the great TV package that the Big 12 has. Whoever negotiated that deal needs to be fired. I don't know all the numbers but the SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc have got to be making money hands over fists compared to our deal.

Maybe there was a sweetheart deal with Phillips 66.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

Someone told me that the person who negotiated this TV package is now working at the Big 10 network.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think Colorado had some fan issues that made them think ending alcohol sales was a good idea.

Anyone remember any of this?

This was a big part of it. My dad used to work with a former football captain and he said that at least once when they were playing there they would have drunk CU fans throwing snowballs at them.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If there will be no state funding does that mean Title IX is no longer valid? :jimlad:
Title IX along with the budget cuts are going to destroy UNI. The lastest I heard is that Mark Farley is quite upset with Jacobson getting a contract extension and pay raise along with the big possibility that they will have to get rid of all of their scholarships. Not a good situation brewing up there, sad to see it.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Title IX along with the budget cuts are going to destroy UNI. The lastest I heard is that Mark Farley is quite upset with Jacobson getting a contract extension and pay raise along with the big possibility that they will have to get rid of all of their scholarships. Not a good situation brewing up there, sad to see it.

I'm sure Farley is not happy, but the way things are going, they have to pick one of the programs to provide for the athletic department and that is basketball. Considering their success and it can be run a heck of a lot cheaper than football, thats the way they have to go.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
University Athletics Must End Dependence on State Dollars | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News

New article on it stating for certain all state schools must come up with a plan to completely eliminate state funding. And it even has that the UofI still takes from the general fund

UNI uses 4.5 million? What the heck? Honestly that is ridiculous. That said our 1.6 and Iowa's 900k is ridiculous as well and I'll be thrilled when they stop using it altogether.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
UNI uses 4.5 million? What the heck? Honestly that is ridiculous. That said our 1.6 and Iowa's 900k is ridiculous as well and I'll be thrilled when they stop using it altogether.

Iowa State (and UofI for that matter) come out WAY ahead on that money when you consider the marketing value the athletic department has to the university.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That might be so but it still shouldn't be used.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That might be so but it still shouldn't be used.

Why not? Its an investment. How many alumni stay connected to the university and ultimately end up donating to the other parts of the university because of the athletic department? How many students decide to come here because of our athletic department? IMHO, its not a big deal at all to spend some money on the athletic department, considering you can consider it spending it in lieu of other marketing or outreach efforts.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
It's interesting that Michael Gartner is the Board of Regents member who's pushing for this. Didn't he get ousted at NBC because the news division that he was running was losing money hand over fist? And isn't his Iowa Cubs organization kept afloat by support from the Chicago Cubs parent club and from the city of Des Moines? If this is not accurate, then I stand corrected, but it just seems funny to me that he's demanding the university athletic departments be completely self-sufficient.