Pollard Talks JTS NEZ Remodel/Upgrade and Nutrition and Player Performance Center

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
That is good to see! I wish Iowa State would see the value in bettering the community. I've spoken with several people who are very hands on at the Research Park and there are tons of issues with access to housing in Ames. So many new hires in the park are living in Ankeny and making the commute because Ames lacks inventory for good $225K-$350K housing

Unless it has changed in the past 3-4 years, the other problem is the houses built in Ames are smaller in square footage at similar price points compared to Ankeny, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Unless it has changed in the past 3-4 years, the other problem is the houses built in Ames are smaller in square footage at similar price points compared to Ankeny, etc.

I would guess that’s because of a lower supply? I’m surprised Greenland or Classic Builders or whatever haven’t moved into the Ames area and started throwing up houses like they are in Ankeny and the surrounding areas.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Speaking of improvements, how is the Reiman Garden expansion project looking? According to a December article in the Ames Trib it should be completed this summer.
View attachment 53591

Haven't seen this pic yet; looks beautiful. I wonder if they've considered the possibility of drunken fans stomping the flowers or swimming in the pond...

Someone who was at the signing day celebration should have gotten a look at any possible progress.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Not trying to hijack this thread, but whatever happened to the project they were doing between Hilton and Stephens? I know part of that was repairing and/or removing some of the raised walkways and I think that is done but I thought there was more that was suppose to happen in that space. Anyone know?

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
Speaking of improvements, how is the Reiman Garden expansion project looking? According to a December article in the Ames Trib it should be completed this summer.
View attachment 53591
Just drove by that in Ames this weekend. Had no idea that was the end game and it looks nice! They have some of the main walls and things up. There is a large almost 'gate-like' entrance at that stop sign on the SE corner of Jack Trice with a mural-like flowerish thing. Hard to explain but ya. It looks like something that won't have problems being done by this summer.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

MikeinWDM

Feb 12, 2018
The new plaza behind the stadium and next to Reiman Gardens is going to be cool. As for drunk fans messing it up, that will only be an issue every other year when Vodka Sam and her Hok friends from TOE come into town. They will be lined up around the fountain puking their guts out after the game.

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1 and CYCLNST8

MikeinWDM

Feb 12, 2018
ihjA9os.jpg

I'm thinking this will be the final product, with two entry tunnels on north side for cyclones and visiting teams. Buildings removed and reconfigured.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
ihjA9os.jpg

I'm thinking this will be the final product, with two entry tunnels on north side for cyclones and visiting teams. Buildings removed and reconfigured.
Where are you getting this? Everything I've read does not indicate it will be the same as the SEZ. Did I miss something?

MikeinWDM

Feb 12, 2018
Where are you getting this? Everything I've read does not indicate it will be the same as the SEZ. Did I miss something?
Just something I did in Photoshop, definitely not anything official. However ... if Pollard happens to see this, maybe it will inspire him. We have to get bigger, we are taking over as the state's most popular collegiate program.

Last edited:

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
ihjA9os.jpg

JP has already stated that the hillsides are staying and the Jake is staying. No it will look nothing like this.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How much are you donating to the project to make it happen?
Likely more than JP.

And better than that, I can save them even more if they’re planning on spending $75 million while keeping hillsides and the Jake. It’s too late to prevent the waste that was the Bugle logo, it’s not too late for this.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
ihjA9os.jpg

^This may be the end game some day^, but we're not there yet. Can you photoshop the Jacobson into this? The concourse will probably mirror the south end, minus the bleachers. The ramps along both sides of the Jacobson will likely remain for vehicle access, so the concourse will probably be walled off at that point, and a connection bridge will encircle the Jacobson at the north end. The northern corners of the paper airplane will probably need to be snipped off, as the elevation will be right at roof level.

Here's a better look at how the concourses work:

Jack Trice.JPG

Reactions: exCyDing

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
ihjA9os.jpg

Something like this should be the final version of the stadium. I think the original plan in 1975 was to do something to enclose the entire stadium in the future. Only took 40 years to do the south.

If the Cyclones can maintain they type of play we saw in 2017, then maybe more suites or maybe changing the center lower bleachers between the 40s into club seats. End seats will allow for folks to not spend as much for a seat on the 40, that's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Does anyone know what the hillside seating capacity is? Total capacity is listed at 61,500 with the current configuration.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Does anyone know what the hillside seating capacity is? Total capacity is listed at 61,500 with the current configuration.

61,500 - roughly 58,800 actual seats = ~2,700

The platform area provided by a northern concourse may allow room for temporary bleachers in the corners pushing possible capacity beyond 62,000. Check out Kansas State's southern endzone for an example.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: exCyDing

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
That $5M poultry farm is on ground I wish would be single family homes.

View attachment 53572

So much of this farm land on the S side of Ames is PERFECT for residential development but Iowa State owns most of it... Hundreds and hundreds of jobs are coming to the research park. Young and educated workers want to live closer to their offices so they can bike/walk. A huge missed opportunity for the betterment of Ames. Sorry for the tangent...
My parents live in that area of town. The development over the past 3 years have been incredible, that picture is kind of out of date. I do agree they should build more houses in that area.

Last edited: