Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Explain how an advocate of their alma mater is able to win the first championship in 60 years at a different school because of AD support at a different school, and how that doesn't reflect poorly on the first school's (ISU, in case you were confused) AD.

Please explain to me how, on this universe, you can equate us to Penn State in terms of resources. It's not even close and I think Cael realized that in the event that football or basketball things needed to be done, they would be and he would have to wait. Penn St. didn't have to do that because they have enough to get to everything. We don't, plain and simple. That's what makes Bill Fennelly Bill Fennelly. He knows what our situation is like and where things are yet he doesn't fly out for other jobs. You think he hasn't had more offered? He has, but guess what? He actually likes it here and deals with it instead of catching the first flight out for somewhere else. Cael evidently wasn't cut out for it being a littler harder or slower.

Reactions: skibumspe

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Explain how an advocate of their alma mater is able to win the first championship in 60 years at a different school because of AD support at a different school, and how that doesn't reflect poorly on the first school's (ISU, in case you were confused) AD.

You've just provided your own conclusion. Why are you even asking me?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Are the multi-million dollar south endzone seating necessary? Or are they a luxury? Are the new soccer fields necessary? Could their have been a wrestling wing built into the new BB facility? Allocating that money is what he's paid for, and if not being able to it loses us the best coach since Nichols, someone ****ed up.

EDIT: I wasn't talking about me, but I realized that I wasn't the only one that you did that to.

All football improvements we will ever be able to add are needed. I will assure you of that. Check out any polling. We have just about the worst everything right now and we will never catch up. The best we can hope for is the middle of the pack. There will never be too much in terms of football. It's a different animal. You have to recruit so many kids that so many other schools are going after with much better facilities. Now, soccer? I don't know.

There was never going to be enough money in the pool to keep Cael and he couldn't deal with it. He didn't like playing 4th fiddle.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
OK...I'll bite. Provide the one (just one) football example equivilant to Iowa State's situation to win a National Championship in the last 25 years.

Not sure what qualifies as equivalent but, didn't Georgia Tech share a title one year? They are pretty much little brother to Georgia, same as we are to Iowa......i.e. same state, different conferences, less money for athletic budget etc.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Yes, I am extremely happy. In fact I have my Auburn pants and Penn State wrestling shirt on right now.

That's not what I said but I can find a little comfort in the fact that the guy in charge of our athletics has hired two guys capable of winning National championships. That's it. I didn't say we should have been celebrating the ships as if they were ours. I said I think that JP deserves a little credit for hiring guys who have done a hell of a job elsewhere.

Wow. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

And I'll repeat it again. Any coach can look good when the team has great talent.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Listen, Cael was at a crossroads...a fork in the road. My assumption is he was driven more by the desire to coach a National Championship team, then driven to coach ISU to a National Championship. Chizek, too, for that matter (although his defection is somewhat more understandable IMO)

Guys....time to put your ego's aside. Coaching at ISU with our limited resources is a hell of a tough gig. That is why it is going to be so incredibly awesome when CPR's brings us to some of the successes that I believe he will. I also have a ton of faith in Hoiberg...but BB is still easier at a school like ISU than FB.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
Please explain to me how, on this universe, you can equate us to Penn State in terms of resources. It's not even close and I think Cael realized that in the event that football or basketball things needed to be done, they would be and he would have to wait. Penn St. didn't have to do that because they have enough to get to everything. We don't, plain and simple. That's what makes Bill Fennelly Bill Fennelly. He knows what our situation is like and where things are yet he doesn't fly out for other jobs. You think he hasn't had more offered? He has, but guess what? He actually likes it here and deals with it instead of catching the first flight out for somewhere else. Cael evidently wasn't cut out for it being a littler harder or slower.

Not to mention, when Cael left, the future of the big 12 conference was still in doubt??

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Wonderful. Your agenda driven thread has been completely shot down, so you resort to these types of posts. See you next time.

Winning!

So you're saying a stawman argument is a legit way to discuss/debate a topic?

...and if it has been shot down (which it hasn't), you certainly weren't in the foxhole doing any damage.

BTW....agenda??? Yeah, I hired Pollard, so I'm trying to justify my hire. WTF???

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
We lost Cael to the Big X Network. Ya Penn St. had the cash before that, but not the kind of cash that builds kick *** facilities for money losing sports. Hopefully this new Big XII TV deal comes through so we can start catching up with facilities for the revenue losing sports, but until then, like dozens of other post before me said. Football rules the world, thats where the cash has to go. Sorry if you don't or won't realize that, but for crying out loud, until this next year our athletic budget needed tax subsidies.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
That would have had very little affect on his standing... Speaking of that there were only 5 wrestling teams anyway. The conference thing is not as big of a deal in wrestling compared to football and basketball...

True, but why not have stability if you can?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Than why can Cael go win a national title in 2 years at a school that hasnt won one in 60. He never could get the athletes to Ames for whatever reason.

I do not care about wrestling enough to be sure, but there are several wrestlers at PSU that were going or were already at ISU.

Maybe Cael was has gotten better, or worked harder this year.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
So basically, the question is: Does Auburn's football and Penn state's wrestling national championships justify the initial hirings of Chizik and Cael by jamie pollard?

The answer is yes
i think

Reactions: skibumspe

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron