Pollard Details Recommended Cuts

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
View attachment 75118
The University of Utah will furlough every employee in its athletic department, even athletic director Mark Harlan and its head coaches, according to KUTV’s Larry Curtis.

The athletic department has also reportedly eliminated some positions and suspended all performance bonuses indefinitely. The drastic steps are the latest sign of the massive financial ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic being felt in the world of college sports.
Yahoo Sports
Whoa

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
Yep. And people were told back in May and June that if they wanted to see football in the fall, they would have to social distance, wear masks, and stay home whenever possible.

But they couldn't hack it for more than a few weeks, and so here we are. They wanted their freedom to do whatever they wanted to do. Well, how did that work out for you? Do you have the "freedom" to go watch ISU football this fall now?

And Reynolds back then said we couldn't be shut down because it cost too much money. Really Kim? We told you back then it would cost a LOT more if we didn't shut down and this virus kept haunting us for months and months..... but you can't seem to look at things in the long term.

Actually, you don't know s***. The reason we won't have fans at the game is because you and your likeminded buddies pressured Dr Wendy into caving. It's really not all that complicated.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
When Hilton was in its heyday with concerts (70s-80s) it did not have a management company, it was managed by the University with a very aggressive asst manager who worked with promotors to get shows. He later went on to be the top guy at the Arena at Nevada Reno, worked for Bill Graham Presents (long time top promotor in San francisco, passed in 1991) and consulted on the San Jose arena construction during the 90's. He never worked for a management company, although he did work for Bill Graham as a tour director.
More recently, Jeff Chelesvig does not work for a management company at the Civic Center, who also worked at the ISU Center in that time frame. While there is evidence that management companies can help, they do take a lot of$$ out of the facility, more than the value of their "contacts" imo, Agents often appreciate independents and look for venues to keep competition going. Contacts can be nurtured without management companies via promotors and agents; local media and other marketing tools are more valuable than a management company, unless somehow a company has monopolized the market. Yes it takes entreprenurial skills to succeed outside a management company and you can't just be a calendar keeper (as you can for a management company)

The Center was a great place to work as a student. Lots of great people and experiences.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
He's had a YEAR to fix a $50mm hole and he's FAILED to do that? Why is this bum still on campus???? :jimlad:

JP is the best thing to happen to ISU for so many reasons... Arbitrarily blaming someone who's been in charge for a year for decades and decades of mismanagement is BS.

The only real problem there is the ADA regulations. But I digress.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I actually disagree with this the upper 6 figure people could/should take the cut but the people at the bottom just starting out really shouldn't have to take a hit. Playing the % game really hoses the people on the bottom. It also works the same way with pay raises.

For sure. No way you force a 10% cut on adjuncts. Well, they would, but there's no excuse for it.
Sure, the $7200 ISU paid me for spring sounds like a fortune, but it's pretty minimal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
1. I was just there covering for a full prof to complete another book.
I did end up "investing" 10% of that in materials to move the class online, although I knew that wasn't getting reimbursed.

Just curious. When I taught 15 years ago I got $600 per credit hour. So 2 3 credit classes got me $3600. I had to provide my own supplies, copies etc. Not something you did to make money for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclad and Acylum

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
When did Pollard take over the ownership of CY Stephens? How did we get a 25-50 mil deferred maintenance on a premier campus equity. THIS is shameful. Wintersteen needs to step up and do what she is hired to do? In addition, the facility has significant deferred maintenance issues which would require another $25M to $50M to bring the building up to today’s standards. Anyone been here lately? THIS is an absolute debacle for a major university to be in this position.
News flash, ISU has over $500 million in deferred maintenance.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
News flash, ISU has over $500 million in deferred maintenance.

Yeah, I think the cycle is to defer until a building is complete crap and then push it under...it is a lot more poplar to ask for money for a new building with a new name and a new mission attached to the name. No one wants to spend money on costly renovations and improvements in the old dumpy buildings.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, I think the cycle is to defer until a building is complete crap and then push it under...it is a lot more poplar to ask for money for a new building with a new name and a new mission attached to the name. No one wants to spend money on costly renovations and improvements in the old dumpy buildings.

Yeah that's why they've restored the old Vet Quad, old Botany, and Morrill Hall all on campus. CY Stephens is a long ways away from a dump.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Yep. And people were told back in May and June that if they wanted to see football in the fall, they would have to social distance, wear masks, and stay home whenever possible.

But they couldn't hack it for more than a few weeks, and so here we are. They wanted their freedom to do whatever they wanted to do. Well, how did that work out for you? Do you have the "freedom" to go watch ISU football this fall now?

And Reynolds back then said we couldn't be shut down because it cost too much money. Really Kim? We told you back then it would cost a LOT more if we didn't shut down and this virus kept haunting us for months and months..... but you can't seem to look at things in the long term.
You continue to make this an Iowa /Kim argument. Kansas has been much more restrictive with masks, complete shut down of business and schools and the same amount of cases as Iowa over the last several weeks. Kansas is not playing in front of fans. It has no bearing over whether people followed the rules or not. Same with the west coast and Big 10. SEC had been lax with restrictions and is playing in front of fans, so spare me the ******** if you would have behaved in May you’d be able to go to an ISU game argument

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
You continue to make this an Iowa /Kim argument. Kansas has been much more restrictive with masks, complete shut down of business and schools and the same amount of cases as Iowa over the last several weeks. Kansas is not playing in front of fans. It has no bearing over whether people followed the rules or not. Same with the west coast and Big 10. SEC had been lax with restrictions and is playing in front of fans, so spare me the ******** if you would have behaved in May you’d be able to go to an ISU game argument

These are actual numbers from Douglas County, KS, which is where KU is located. You can see the restrictions were working well until Phase 3 re-opening. You can then see the next spike when KU students arrived for class.

1599365161641.png

We were doing an exceptional jobs of keeping cases low before re-opening, so well that we were mentioned in the New York Times for only having 82 cases out of a population of 122,000 in mid June. Then everyone decided that they needed to eat out and go to bars. We made it a lot longer than most, but not long enough it appears.

https://ldchealth.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=299&ARC=735

I would finish by saying that you trying to equate Kansas and Iowa with what seems like no actual knowledge of what has happened and is actually happening in Kansas is dishonest at best and intentionally deceptive at worst.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I thought the decision with CY was part of the new entertainment district. I think most agreed that it made sense. For those critiquing our ISU leadership should compare to every university and tell me who isn’t struggling.