Poll: Have you been tested for COVID-19?

Have you tested for COVID?

• Yes, and was positive

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Yes, and was negative

Votes: 122 31.1%
  • No I have not tested

Votes: 249 63.5%
  • No, but plan to soon

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I can understand testing for antibodies, but are they recommending people get tested if they are presenting no symptoms and have no indication they have been exposed? That seems a bit extraneous.
I just feel if you have been out and about grocery or store shopping, maybe went out to dinner, why wouldn’t you want to get tested just to be safe?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Got tested in late March. I was supposed to receive my results 3-4 days later. I called after day 5 and they said they haven't received the results yet. Called back on day 8 after all my symptoms had been gone, they said they never got the results and asked me to get tested again. Said **** that and just stayed home. Very curious about antibody testing.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I can understand testing for antibodies, but are they recommending people get tested if they are presenting no symptoms and have no indication they have been exposed? That seems a bit extraneous.
I can understand diligent testing like that assuming your area has the resources to do so. If you really want to trace and isolate cases down, that's the best way to do it. Can't have too much data on something like this. It's not really a bad thing as long as you aren't giving away necessary supplies to do it. It may not directly help, but it certainly can't hurt.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Had to have a procedure and needed a test. Was uncomfortable. I think I had it back in March though - symptoms of intense heartburn initially, to a bad migraine, cough/sore throat and then chills with it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It would be super helpful to have saliva testing with a litmus strip kind of setup. Then you could test people coming in the door at work, at a stadium, etc. That would help a ton I would think. Not sure how feasible it is.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Saliva sample is the way to go. I had to go to the ER two weeks ago (lost a fight with a butcher knife when preparing a brisket). Had to get a tetanus shot. My body's reaction to the shot mimicked Covid symptoms so I went to get tested. Doc looks at me and says "you don't look like my Covid patients but we'll test you anyways." 72 hours later tested negative.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
It would be super helpful to have saliva testing with a litmus strip kind of setup. Then you could test people coming in the door at work, at a stadium, etc. That would help a ton I would think. Not sure how feasible it is.

Make it bubble gum flavored too.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Saliva sample is the way to go. I had to go to the ER two weeks ago (lost a fight with a butcher knife when preparing a brisket). Had to get a tetanus shot. My body's reaction to the shot mimicked Covid symptoms so I went to get tested. Doc looks at me and says "you don't look like my Covid patients but we'll test you anyways." 72 hours later tested negative.

How many milliseconds did it take from the time of contact to the pain hitting? That always sucks slicing the digits.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've heard if you donate blood they do antibody testing. Is there any truth to that?

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/dlp/covid-19-antibody-testing.html

Per the poll: I've said this in other threads.

I had a weird groggy headache and developed a fever in mid-March when everything started going down. At the time they were only testing the higher risk so would only take me in if I had difficulty breathing, which made sense to me. That never happened although I had slight chest discomfort that was around for a good 6 weeks. Fever cleared after a day and a half and I quarantined for two weeks per Dr. recommendation.

Dating back to May I'm 3/3 for positive antibody tests. Got it at my Dr. and another clinic to double check, then got another positive result from Red Cross when I donated last month.

Gonna get another one done in August to see if they're still around.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Also open the door a bit for people to visit others and to have visitors. Fuel up the car, pack, get the test, receive negative results, take off.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Considering the issues with people passing it along with no known symptoms, I'd say it's a good recommendation.

The answer is having more tests available, and then more after that.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Just got back from getting tested at a TestIowa site. No line, was quick and easy. Not seeing where people say it's painful. Did it feel good? No, but not painful either. Just a little awkward for 5 seconds and it's over.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just got back from getting tested at a TestIowa site. No line, was quick and easy. Not seeing where people say it's painful. Did it feel good? No, but not painful either. Just a little awkward for 5 seconds and it's over.

Oddly enough I've had strep 3-4 times over the last 6-7 years...

I'm sure if I get a test done it will be uncomfortable, but the strep test would be good practice.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Got tested June 27 because we were planning to visit relatives for a week over the 4th. We live in NYC and they’re in Maine so we didn’t want to bring it with us. Unfortunately we didn’t receive our results until 8 days after the test (and 2 days after we arrived), but luckily all negative.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
No, and I tried. It was after I was in contact with a case. I did not qualify for a test until I showed symptoms.

This is common. A lot of people out there have been sold a narrative that “anyone can get a test” or we are over testing. Not true, for much of the country. Which is embarassing and pure incompetence at this stage, and one of the reasons why are leadership have failed.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Needed a test for a "procedure." Give me the "procedure" over the Covid-19 test any day. That mother hurt. The procedure was a colonscopy and didn't feel a thing. Even the prep was better than the Covid-19 test.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
No, and I tried. It was after I was in contact with a case. I did not qualify for a test until I showed symptoms.

This is common. A lot of people out there have been sold a narrative that “anyone can get a test” or we are over testing. Not true, for much of the country. Which is embarassing and pure incompetence at this stage, and one of the reasons why are leadership have failed.
Test Iowa allowed me to test with no symptoms but was in contact with someone positive. Sorry you had a bad experience.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It sounds like forgoing the Test Iowa site (if that's what you tried) and just going through the Dr. is way better.

If not I would just tell them you have a headache and some chills.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron