Poll: Have you been tested for COVID-19?

Have you tested for COVID?

• Yes, and was positive

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Yes, and was negative

Votes: 122 31.1%
  • No I have not tested

Votes: 249 63.5%
  • No, but plan to soon

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've heard if you donate blood they do antibody testing. Is there any truth to that?

Red Cross does. I had signed up for a blood drive here in CR but they cancelled on me this morning.

Unfortunately, Red Cross no longer has a donation center in CR, so you have to make an appt at a blood drive 3-4 weeks in advance. And hope it isn't cancelled.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I've heard if you donate blood they do antibody testing. Is there any truth to that?
When I most recently donated blood at LifeServe (Ames) I specifically asked if they tested "for" antibodies and was told no. They don't test, but if you have tested positive for covid-19 and recovered/free from symptoms (doctor info needed) you can donate plasma there.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Getting the dreaded nostril test this afternoon. Have had some headaches and a sore throat this last week, but nothing more severe than that. I have contact with someone battling cancer and quite a few older folks, so I just felt like it was the responsible thing to do just to be sure I'm not putting them at risk. Have avoided going out in public even for groceries since these slight symptoms started.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Two times ahead of other medical procedures. Think they were wastes of tests as I had 0 symptoms. And these tests are nowhere near as bad as the strep throat test swab.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I was in close contact with a friend who tested positive so we got tested last Wednesday and it came back negative in 2 days. My family was still ordered to quarantine for 14 days, which ends after tomorrow. Test was nasal and was totally painless. 20 seconds of discomfort and it was over

I’ve loved this quarantine too as someone in my office is showing strong symptoms and they interact with EVERYONE. My office might be in bad shape in a week.

Wear a mask.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
if they developed a saliva test i would take it. i figure i better be really sick to go get a brain poke for something that doesn't affect treatment wither way. i vomit during normal throat swabs and i've passed out during blood draws so my body is not designed not poking and prodding. one time i was getting a vein ultrasound done for my varicose veins (you have to hold you breathe and bear down) and passed out right on the tile floor. i woke up and they gave me some crackers and a kid's orange drink. i'm almost 40.

Mercy is using a saliva test.

TKlone3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2011
Council Bluffs
Tested 3 times at test Iowa in Des Moines. Only went to get tested the first time in preparation for my sister's small wedding where I would be near at risk family members. Had no symptoms other than a slight cough and what I thought were seasonal allergies. Test came back positive. Would have never known unless I got tested as I felt normal for the most part.

Because of this experience I would highly recommend anyone who plans to be around family or going to a large gathering to get tested. I think it is the responsible thing to do to make sure people stay safe. I'm convinced a lot more people out there have it and don't even know. The test is uncomfortable but it beats having to live with the guilt if you unknowingly infected a loved one.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I got tested weekly for work. For 9 weeks I tested negative. On June 16 I tested positive. I had no symptoms when I tested positive. A day later I was very fatigued and my legs/hips ached. It was like I decided to start running 10 miles a day. 3 days after my test I lost all sense of smell and taste. Taste came back slowly over a few days. My sense of smell is still diminished.
At no time did I have any cold/flu like symptoms. My blood O2 levels did drop for about 3 days. It stayed as low as 92% for a couple days and then was back to normal.
I am still fighting the fatigue. I get tired very easily. I take Vitamin D to reduce the time for the fatigue to go away. My doctor said it’s not uncommon to experience fatigue for 2-4 weeks after symptoms. I’m at about 3 weeks now and feeling great except I need a couple naps.
At least in Arizona they are seeing less fevers and more people complaining of muscle pain, headaches, and extreme fatigue. Loss of taste and smell too.
For this poll I have no idea how to vote.
I have 9 negative tests and 1 positive.

Hmmmm....that's very curious. I've been exhausted for three weeks. I had a mess of other things happen along the way but you have me wondering. I've presented no other symptoms other than nearly fainting a few times.

You mentioned Arizona - do you live here also?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Two times ahead of other medical procedures. Think they were wastes of tests as I had 0 symptoms. And these tests are nowhere near as bad as the strep throat test swab.
People can be positive and pass it to others while not showing symptoms. Welcome to March.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Red Cross does. I had signed up for a blood drive here in CR but they cancelled on me this morning.

Unfortunately, Red Cross no longer has a donation center in CR, so you have to make an appt at a blood drive 3-4 weeks in advance. And hope it isn't cancelled.

Lifeserve just started doing antibody testing, but you have to fill out a form online and schedule the appointment differently than just through their website. If you test positive for antibodies, they'll try to get you to donate the covalescent plasma instead of blood.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
No exposure that you know of. Everyone should be getting tested

I can understand testing for antibodies, but are they recommending people get tested if they are presenting no symptoms and have no indication they have been exposed? That seems a bit extraneous.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Currently the Red Cross is screening for antibodies in all blood donations. I'm not sure how long they will be doing it. I can't donate again until August 9th. I guess I'll find out if they are still testing about then as I'll most likely donate some time that week or the next.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Tested on Monday - have an s shaped deviated septum and they did both sides. At the end I wanted to cry but was too pissed at her Hawk shirt as I was wearing ISU gear. Figured she kept jabbing in further in for that reason.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Tested yesterday after coming into contact with a coworker who I’m pretty sure who has it (he refuses to test). Was negative but I’m going to be mindful the next couple of weeks.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'll get tested before I come back from Florida. Pretty sure you get temp checked at the border when you're leaving.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
People can be positive and pass it to others while not showing symptoms. Welcome to March.

Sure, but I tend to know when I have something going on. I get everything that comes to the house and it is never a not a noticeable deal.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Duh, if you don't get a test you can't have it, so NO WAY!

Seriously, I'd rather get a good antibody test first, if there ever is such a thing. Same for the Mrs. She had a 6 week cough and loss of taste starting in April. I had a week of funk and fatigue shortly afterward. Neither of us qualified for testing at the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron