POLL: Football Uniforms... Where Do You Stand?

What Category are You In?

• "Get off my lawn" (Stay with our school colors. Cardinal and Gold only)

• "Keep it simple" (Cardinal and Gold for most games. 1 other non-black alternate MAX)

• "Mix it up" (Cardinal and Gold is a good start point. But recruits run the show so mix it up!)

• "Let's get weird" (I want to see black, camo, metallic, chrome, matte, ALL OF IT)

• "Don't change" (Stick with what we have, I like these uniforms)

• "Just win baby" (for the love of God, WHO CARES ABOUT UNIFORMS)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Using those four basic sets, the combinations are numerous. Here are a few samples. Don't zoom too close, my work is admittedly sloppy — I slapped it together quickly. (The white helmets look a bit grayish). Included a black jersey, too, since apparently it's inevitable.

View attachment 55078 View attachment 55079 View attachment 55080 View attachment 55081 View attachment 55082 View attachment 55083 View attachment 55084 View attachment 55086

I like it, especially as the base sets for the uniform. They can throw in alternate helmets and logos anytime on top of that too.

Reminds me a lot of Toledos various sets of uniform parts, so that makes sense.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I agree. Last year, after the K-State game, I put these together to sort of simulate what OSU does. Lots of combinations.
View attachment 55087 View attachment 55088
What we will actually get, who knows.

Those "Trice Stripe" shoulders are fun as hell. Need a side view to really show them off. I also love the Criner Clone on the red helmet. Looks iconic and classic.

• Agree
Reactions: bgprest

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
20 minutes ago iowa state athletics updated their cover photo with the attached photo. Maybe a sign of what's to come? I don't know. Not much different from the old. Might not be anything. But I'll attach the screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180517-091837.png
    Screenshot_20180517-091837.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 82

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
20 minutes ago iowa state athletics updated their cover photo with the attached photo. Maybe a sign of what's to come? I don't know. Not much different from the old. Might not be anything. But I'll attach the screen shot.
When the poster came out a while back with that picture, I saw Iowa State Football's Twitter respond to people asking "ARE THOSE THE NEW UNIFORMS?!?" by basically saying that it is just a generic red jersey with Iowa State on it and it isn't the new uniforms.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It depends if we suck or not. If we suck and keep running out with new uniforms. It's still no fun. If we are good and we are mixing up the Uni's. It's all good. The only thing that is always good is the tailgating. We can suck or be good. Either way. We are doing tailgating right.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Here's a taste of what's to come:

toledo-vs-buffalo-nov-12.jpg

Toledo 2014.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Personally, I don't care. Wear whatever as long as you're winning. But I also understand that the alternate uniforms aren't really for the benefit of the fans. The players get excited about that stuff and so do recruits, so it's just part of what a coaching staff has to do to be or remain successful.

edit: I will say that if I never saw the alternate gray unis the men's basketball team wore last season that would be alright with me. Those things were an affront to humanity.

Last edited:

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I just remembered another group, even more extreme than the "let's get weird" group.

And that's the "I liked Maryland's flag-inspired uniforms" group.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I like how they mix and match right now. Black seems a little over the top to me, but if it helps with recruitment I'm all for it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The way I see it is if the kids want to go out and play wearing an alternate scheme once in a while then what does that hurt. In the end they're still kids that put in a ton of time so they deserve to have some fun with it.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
To be clear, Coach Orr never used that logo- wanted nothing to do with that football look at all. His teams always wore Dribble Cy or an ISU script. The only association of Coach Orr with the Criner Clone (Criner and Roger Gade brought it here along with fire truck red and Green Bay yellow) is on a golf shirt. Coach Orr should not get blamed for that look

I know a lot of people, especially ones who lived through that era, don't want to see the Criner Clone on new gear or uniforms. It reminds them of a terrible era of Cyclone Football. But it is recognizable and iconic.

Land Shark is correct in that the '80s Cyclone first originated with the football team and Roger Gade, who worked for Iowa State for nearly two decades, (well after Criner left) and remains a lifetime member of the Cyclone Letterwinners Club.

That era was much more casual with logo usage than today. There were many different logos floating around, but only one logo had both the school name and nickname, hence the '80s Cyclone was put in use as the school logo for about a decade. Some of it made its way over to the basketball program. Just look at the jacket Hornacek is holding here:

Dc1sdHCVQAIj6Gk.jpg

In some of my previous stories, I chose to frame it as the Orr Cyclone, given that Johnny Orr was the most prominent face of ISU athletics at that time, and the Cyclone logo was the most prominent school logo at that time. While Johnny did mostly use Cy, it was the only Cyclone logo during Johnny's time at Iowa State. This cannot be disputed.

Sure, the football team was mediocre, aligning completely with ISU's historical record, but as Pollard explained earlier this year regarding the bugle logo, game results (aka Texas) don't have any bearing on the logo quality.

You know what else happened during the decade of the 1980s Cyclone?

Johnny Orr and Barry Stevens originated Hilton Magic
The 1987 wrestling team won the national championship
The 1989 cross country team won the national championship​

Even with all of that wonderful history, the 1980s Cyclone is undeniably dated. Thus a forum member (IG: Friendan.Design) redesigned the entire Cyclone to be less stilted and modern. It's the best of both worlds--it retains the iconic concept of the 1980s logo and successes without explicitly being attached to Criner.

When I think of the 1980s, I think of Hilton Magic and national championships.

Embrace Heritage.

Embrace the Orr Cyclone.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Land Shark is correct in that the '80s Cyclone first originated with the football team and Roger Gade, who worked for Iowa State for nearly two decades, (well after Criner left) and remains a lifetime member of the Cyclone Letterwinners Club.

That era was much more casual with logo usage than today. There were many different logos floating around, but only one logo had both the school name and nickname, hence the '80s Cyclone was put in use as the school logo for about a decade. Some of it made its way over to the basketball program. Just look at the jacket Hornacek is holding here:

Dc1sdHCVQAIj6Gk.jpg

In some of my previous stories, I chose to frame it as the Orr Cyclone, given that Johnny Orr was the most prominent face of ISU athletics at that time, and the Cyclone logo was the most prominent school logo at that time. While Johnny did mostly use Cy, it was the only Cyclone logo during Johnny's time at Iowa State. This cannot be disputed.

Sure, the football team was mediocre, aligning completely with ISU's historical record, but as Pollard explained earlier this year regarding the bugle logo, game results (aka Texas) don't have any bearing on the logo quality.

You know what else happened during the decade of the 1980s Cyclone?

Johnny Orr and Barry Stevens originated Hilton Magic
The 1987 wrestling team won the national championship
The 1989 cross country team won the national championship​

Even with all of that wonderful history, the 1980s Cyclone is undeniably dated. Thus a forum member (IG: Friendan.Design) redesigned the entire Cyclone to be less stilted and modern. It's the best of both worlds--it retains the iconic concept of the 1980s logo and successes without explicitly being attached to Criner.

When I think of the 1980s, I think of Hilton Magic and national championships.

Embrace Heritage.

Embrace the Orr Cyclone.

2agwdt.jpg

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I hope they keep it simple, utilize the Cardinal and Gold most games and mix it up for some games to keep the guys/recruits excited. And, can we have a GOLD helmet to the mix? Just don't ever use that garbage cyclone logo they rolled out for the Texas game ever again.

Please use this Cyclone logo for our "nickname-logo."

upload_2018-5-17_11-23-34.png

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I hope they keep it simple, utilize the Cardinal and Gold most games and mix it up for some games to keep the guys/recruits excited. And, can we have a GOLD helmet to the mix? Just don't ever use that garbage cyclone logo they rolled out for the Texas game ever again.

Please use this Cyclone logo for our "nickname-logo."

View attachment 55099

upload_2018-5-17_11-28-25.png

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
To be clear, Coach Orr never used that logo- wanted nothing to do with that football look at all. His teams always wore Dribble Cy or an ISU script. The only association of Coach Orr with the Criner Clone (Criner and Roger Gade brought it here along with fire truck red and Green Bay yellow) is on a golf shirt. Coach Orr should not get blamed for that look

Well I think the football helmets would look odd with the Orr Dribbling Cy.

Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron