POLL: Football Uniforms... Where Do You Stand?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What Category are You In?

• "Get off my lawn" (Stay with our school colors. Cardinal and Gold only)

• "Keep it simple" (Cardinal and Gold for most games. 1 other non-black alternate MAX)

• "Mix it up" (Cardinal and Gold is a good start point. But recruits run the show so mix it up!)

• "Let's get weird" (I want to see black, camo, metallic, chrome, matte, ALL OF IT)

• "Don't change" (Stick with what we have, I like these uniforms)

• "Just win baby" (for the love of God, WHO CARES ABOUT UNIFORMS)

Results are only viewable after voting.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That video is SIIIIIIICK though..

I agree. I hope we have a similar type video when we launch ours.

There's two looks that I no longer like at all, and that is matte helmets and chrome helmets. I want more colors of helmets, but not matte or chrome. I didn't care at all for the chrome helmets we wore in the Liberty Bowl. UGLY. I did like that they tried them though, but I hope they don't go back. Same with the bugle.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I agree. I hope we have a similar type video when we launch ours.

There's two looks that I no longer like at all, and that is matte helmets and chrome helmets. I want more colors of helmets, but not matte or chrome. I didn't care at all for the chrome helmets we wore in the Liberty Bowl. UGLY. I did like that they tried them though, but I hope they don't go back. Same with the bugle.

How in the hell can people hate on the chrome helmets?? It’s the only new trend I actually like. Adding more gray & black is the dumb trend...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
How in the hell can people hate on the chrome helmets?? It’s the only new trend I actually like. Adding more gray & black is the dumb trend...

I loved the idea of the chrome helmets, and glad they tried them.

I didn't like that they chipped so easily and I think the glare on the red made them look too pink.

So if they made them a darker, deeper red to compensate and figured out how to have them not chip so bad or look better if they do chip, then I'm all in.

David Montgomery's game worn Liberty Bowl helmet has to be one of the most distinct items of sports memorabilia in ISU history.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

One vote against chrome helmets.

The look like ass. Ours don't look cardinal. But the kids love black and shiny ****.....so

This era of football uniforms will hold up as well as Farah slacks, Celebrity Bowling, and the leisure suit

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I loved the idea of the chrome helmets, and glad they tried them.

I didn't like that they chipped so easily and I think the glare on the red made them look too pink.

So if they made them a darker, deeper red to compensate and figured out how to have them not chip so bad or look better if they do chip, then I'm all in.

David Montgomery's game worn Liberty Bowl helmet has to be one of the most distinct items of sports memorabilia in ISU history.

Ok- yeah I'd be on board with a darker red. I loved the simple stencil logo, though- really seemed to "pop" better. The chipping was weird- did our equipment staff just buy a bunch of spray paint on a shoe string budget?

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'm super interested in a possible alternate gold chrome helmet though. That would be pretty sweet. I like the thought of that with the Criner Clone on it possibly, or @CYCLNST8 's signature pic with the stenciled I-State logo.

I removed the image from my sig to clean things up a bit, but I think you're talking about this:

upload_2018-5-18_9-5-56.png

I think @Kagavi is responsible for the one on the left and @amestoplease for the chrome finish on the right (I think it's a re-purposed Baylor helmet?).

• Winner

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One vote against chrome helmets.

The look like ass. Ours don't look cardinal. But the kids love black and shiny ****.....so

This era of football uniforms will hold up as well as Farah slacks, Celebrity Bowling, and the leisure suit

There have been MUCH, MUCH worse eras of football uniforms.

80s mesh uniforms, especially the super short ones so players could show off their abs.
cutoffjersey1.jpg

fiesta05.jpg

If you reminisce fondly about this era of uniforms, it's because that was when you were in college and you really enjoyed watching football at the time. Not because they looked good.

Then you have these monstrosities for obvious and fashion reasons:
apex1.jpg

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
There have been MUCH, MUCH worse eras of football uniforms.

80s mesh uniforms, especially the super short ones so players could show off their abs.
cutoffjersey1.jpg

fiesta05.jpg

If you reminisce fondly about this era of uniforms, it's because that was when you were in college and you really enjoyed watching football at the time. Not because they looked good.

Then you have these monstrosities for obvious and fashion reasons:
apex1.jpg

I'll give you those iowa jerseys. Whew....awful.

But I'll draw the line on the short mesh jerseys. Those things rocked!

Much better than this pants-above-the- knee look going today. Guys weating Bermuda shorts out there

• Funny

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I just hope we don't use that ridiculous logo from the Texas game ever again. A Cy logo would be great though, like we had on the gold helmets for a short time in the 70's. Some sort of Jack Trice throwback for this year's Iowa game would be great. I really liked the last Trice throwback we did.

Let's not waste the throwbacks on Iowa again. No one outside the state cares. Save them for a prime time game against Texas or Oklahoma so we can educate the nation.

And let's be accurate this time:

tricelost4.jpg