PODCAST: Steve Deace joins me to break down Cy-Hawk week

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Glad to hear this will be a weekly thing! Deace is great at talking sports, and the anecdotes that come with his time covering sports are pretty entertaining. Would have loved the Miller and Deace Show to still be on the radio.

Brad4Cyclones

Dec 13, 2011
Glad to hear this will be a weekly thing! Deace is great at talking sports, and the anecdotes that come with his time covering sports are pretty entertaining. Would have loved the Miller and Deace Show to still be on the radio.

Deace, yes. Miller? No. He's a no talent hack. His monotone voice isn't for radio and Big 10 TV didn't like it either. There has to be a better Hawkeye host out there to pair up with Deace.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Let's analyze this discussion...original post:

I'd suggest one covering the last weekend's results and another looking ahead to that week's games. Not that I'm greedy or anything. Plus it's my bday today so now you pretty much have to do it.

Sorry brother but it will likely only be once a week.

Chris' response: No soup for you!

Happy Birthday!

Adam's response: Hey man, happy birthday!

Point to Adam.

:wink:

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Deace, yes. Miller? No. He's a no talent hack. His monotone voice isn't for radio and Big 10 TV didn't like it either. There has to be a better Hawkeye host out there to pair up with Deace.

I see how he might not be everyone's favorite, but I thought he anchored the convos well...just my opinion and I respect others. My biggest gripe was that he would act one way on the radio, and then act completely different on his Hawkeye board. I don't spend time reading/listening to Hawkeye media personalities, so I don't know who you would replace him with (especially now that he has moved to Oklahoma)...but I would welcome that radio show back in an instant. The podcasts will be good though...Chris anchors well too.

Now that I think of it, we really do have a great podcast lineup here...Chris, Blum, Adam, and Tron...all very entertaining.

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think there is any doubt about his knowlede and love of college football. My beef with Deace is that he became an ISU 'Fan' when it became a necessity to be something other than a Hawkeye in this market. First and fore most he's a MICH fan! Next he's a Big 10 homer; He is such a huge Mich fan that he probably couldn't bring himself to ever pulling for the Hawks. I believe he was owner of Cyclone Report and ended up selling that to a Hawkeye. He claims to be a Fan stating that he has a Cyclone banner in his basement. I always get the feeling we get plenty of backhanded compliments from him and he views ISU as a subpar BCS level school. He has a right to his opinion, but I don't need a Tavern-Cyclone Fan to cary our water.

....by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!!!

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
MY beef with Deace isn't to fit in. It dates back to when Royce Hooks and Brett Nash were accused of sexually assaulting a teammates sister and the B/S he was spewing out like he actually knew what happened. Then add to it the fact the B/S that he says Mac treated the Iowa game like it was a bowl game. I was there and know what happened in the Hooks/Nash thing and I was there and didn't experience Iowa week treated like a bowl game. I won't lie Iowa week was a little more intense, but so was Nebraska and KState weeks.

I agree he has good college football knowledge, but he sensationalizes alot and throws B/S out there like it is the truth and that is why I don't care for him.

I don't care about his political stances and they have no bearing on my feelings for him.

Sounds like you have a valid personal reason to dislike Deace and more insight that the average fanatic to call BS. I have no issue with that.

As I've said before I personally enjoy his take on College Football, some do not and I get that.

I dont think he spews any more BS than any other sports personality in Iowa (thats not really his thing anymore but he still does things like this and one with Miller for HN). He is giving his opinion, he definately believes his opinion strongly and adamantly defends it but I dont think its any different that any of us on this very sight. I mean ask what the problem is with ISU's offense and you will have a 10 page thread with people arguing their view, Deace is no different IMO.

I love CF and what Chris and staff have done here and they give us all a ton of great content. I dont think CW is afraid to call a spade a spade and look at ISU pretty objectively, however I really enjoy getting another local opinion from someone that doesnt really have a dog in the fight to reduce bias (Deace isnt emotionally attached to either Iowa or ISU).

Dont get me wrong I like Blum , Adam, Chris, Tron and Austen on the Podcasts but also enjoy a fresh perspective now and then and Im glad to hear CW say that Deace will be a regular guest.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I enjoyed the Podcast. Say what you want about Deace, but at least he admits he picked ISU out of necessity. Doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about football.

I'd imagine he spends more time watching, analyzing, and reading about football than anybody else in the state. :smile:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yeah that was pretty dickish on my part. I didn't even see the birthday reference till Adam pointed it out.

I suck. :swoon:

Happy birthday pal.

Ahh, don't be so hard on yourself man, just bustin' your chops. Love the podcasts, BTW. You guys are doing great things with this place.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Pretty isolated from Deace and his past so I don't know much about him. From my perspective it was a great podcast, loved all the old stories.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't think there is any doubt about his knowlede and love of college football. My beef with Deace is that he became an ISU 'Fan' when it became a necessity to be something other than a Hawkeye in this market. First and fore most he's a MICH fan! Next he's a Big 10 homer; He is such a huge Mich fan that he probably couldn't bring himself to ever pulling for the Hawks. I believe he was owner of Cyclone Report and ended up selling that to a Hawkeye. He claims to be a Fan stating that he has a Cyclone banner in his basement. I always get the feeling we get plenty of backhanded compliments from him and he views ISU as a subpar BCS level school. He has a right to his opinion, but I don't need a Tavern-Cyclone Fan to cary our water.

....by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!!!

ISU needs all the fan support it can get. Never could figure out when ISU became such a blue blood football program that people who only graduated from ISU have the right to support a team. Are we that big of snobs? Last time I checked we pretty much have sucked a football forever. I would welcome fans, regardless of where they graduated from (college or high school) , no matter thee reason they became and ISU, , regardless whether they are all in or are fringe in nature. If the program ever reaches a point where we have legions of Tavern Clones I would welcome them with open arms.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I've always listened to Deace's takes on all sports. Typically pretty well thought out, though I didn't agree with him half the time. I'll listen every week.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
2nd best podcast I've listened to from CF. Right after Blum's meth addict breaking and entering story. Never heard Deace before but knew he covered ISU in the past. I thought he was great and I loved his stories and anecdotes.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
MY beef with Deace isn't to fit in. It dates back to when Royce Hooks and Brett Nash were accused of sexually assaulting a teammates sister and the B/S he was spewing out like he actually knew what happened. Then add to it the fact the B/S that he says Mac treated the Iowa game like it was a bowl game. I was there and know what happened in the Hooks/Nash thing and I was there and didn't experience Iowa week treated like a bowl game. I won't lie Iowa week was a little more intense, but so was Nebraska and KState weeks.

I agree he has good college football knowledge, but he sensationalizes alot and throws B/S out there like it is the truth and that is why I don't care for him.

I don't care about his political stances and they have no bearing on my feelings for him.

Im no lawyer, but I'm not sure admitting you know what happened in a potential sexual assault case on the Internet is the best thing to do?