Players who have surprised so far

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Both safeties, especially last Saturday. Jevohn Miller has come a long way. He was pretty much responsible for ISU's loss to UNI last year, and he has improved quite a bit since then. Downing is another...he's is making the transition from Van Der Kamp much easier. Medders was a surprise on Saturday, will be interesting to see if he continues to show.
woah, Woah, WOAH! There was plenty of blame to go around for that debacle - including for seniors like the LB playing next to him. That is patently unfair to drop that dog **** at one player's feet.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
woah, Woah, WOAH! There was plenty of blame to go around for that debacle - including for seniors like the LB playing next to him. That is patently unfair to drop that dog **** at one player's feet.

No I get that. IIRC, there were two long David Johnson TD's runs in that game where on both occasions Miller was so far out of position. Yes, its a team effort, but I used that as an example to show how far he has come.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I love Mutcherson. He seems like he could be Leonard Johnson at safety. Got the pick and was ferocious in run support. I loved the play where Weisman turned up field and put his head down but Mutcherson took a run at him, got under him, and literally took him off his feet and knocked him 2 yards backward.

Meyers played great inside. He's small for interior dline but he held his own physically and Iowa could not handle his quickness. He was very disruptive the whole game.

Looking forward to seeing more of Floyd. He made a great read and crushed Bullock for a 3 yard loss on that swing pass.

I assume maybe you mean David Sims as LJ played corner (and was very good at that so no biggie).

Biggest surprises for me so far have been...

Offense: Richardson. Surprised he hasn't been mentioned more. The guy has always been talented no doubt, but he was 3rd on the depth chart in the spring, and seemed to have his spirits broken after last year. The OL and Skill guys do have a part in his success obviously, but he has shown so much grit to come back the way he has.

Defense: Drake Ferch. Here is a former walk-on safety who converted up to that LB/Nickel spot and really is around the ball on almost every play. If you watch, he may not be the fastest or biggest guy, but his athleticism is underrated and he has a nose for the ball on pass defense and in run support.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
This thread is why I have hope for this season....Last season we heard CPR talk about how talented we were, and we got manhandled by UNI and Iowa, worse than the score indicated, and eeked out an win against Tulsa. This season we dropped an absolute turd against NDSU, who was tougher than a lot of us expected, fought hard against KSU, and I'll be honest, we won ugly against Iowa. But, a lot of us had a lot of questions on who would step up going into this season.

So 3 games in at 1-2 both years, I'd much rather be talking about who came out of the woodwork than talking about who disappeared into it like we were last year.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
i gotta go with Netten. I can actually relax on extra points because he makes them.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I'm going with Miller. I didn't know if he would ever consistently see the field let alone be the leader of the defense. Really like how he has progressed.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
We have some very young (and very talented) players on this team. A few are making it onto the field and are showing us what they can do.

When you add in that we have guys like Martinez and Warren, Holmes and Peavy, Harvey,Northrup and Seonbuchner, Salters and Wesley. I am really looking forward to seeing how all these young guys develop

Not to be a **** but if history repeats itself like the last 5 years, half those guys you mentioned will transfer before they make any impact on the field. I hope not though.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I'd hold off on the the praise for the defensive players especially the D backs until we play our next 3 games. Just saying, not wanting to be a Debbie Downer.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
This one is kinda lame, but I have been extremely impressed with Colin Downing! The kid can boot it and he has been very accurate. Also, our safeties have impressed me. They are not afraid to lay down a big hit!

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Both safeties, especially last Saturday. Jevohn Miller has come a long way. He was pretty much responsible for ISU's loss to UNI last year, and he has improved quite a bit since then. Downing is another...he's is making the transition from Van Der Kamp much easier. Medders was a surprise on Saturday, will be interesting to see if he continues to show.
LOL, there wasn't 1 person you can blame for that loss. He played pretty horrible but plenty others played horrible too.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
I'd hold off on the the praise for the defensive players especially the D backs until we play our next 3 games. Just saying, not wanting to be a Debbie Downer.

Agree TJ is one hell of a safety against the run but seems to struggle against the pass. The INT was literally right in his lap, but he's been suspect in coverage over the first 3 games.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Campos, Meyers, and Garcia. Campos and Garcia are playing better than we've seen Freshmen at their position play in a long time. Meyers played really solid inside for a 260 pound guy last week.

Completely agree. The bolded part especially. I'd throw Lazard and the Cotton-Moya into that as well, in regards to played better than we've seen freshman play.

I agree with Downing as well. For a true freshman punter, he's been spectacular.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Also...Cole Netten, anyone? I'm really hoping kicker won't be a looming concern anymore. I may be bias because he's from my home town though.

Edit: Macclone was way ahead of me.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I am going with Jevohn Miller. His stepping up to lead the LB core has turned what could've been the achilles heel of the defense into an unexpected strength. He came on during the KU a WVU wins at the end of last year, but this year the big surprise was moving to MLB. It just tears me up that he had to burn his redshirt and this is his last year, but am greatful at least that his last year will be his best year.

Agree. Jevohn Miller has been the biggest surprise for me this season. Miller has played very well at Middle Linebacker and is a big reason why the defense has improved so much since our first game. Miller has really stepped it up and deserves praise for doing so. At the same time Miller and the rest of the defense need to continue to improve.

The whole defensive line is playing better than what most were expecting. They are continuing to improve every game. We are a young team getting better.

Kind of nice to NOT hear the naysayers, Negative Nancy's, Debbie Downer's, and the CPR haters. I am sure they will return if we get blasted by Baylor.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Also...Cole Netten, anyone? I'm really hoping kicker won't be a looming concern anymore. I may be bias because he's from my home town though.

Edit: Macclone was way ahead of me.
I believe we have the best kicker in years. I am only old enough to remember as far back to the Tony Yelk days though.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

I believe Downing is an upgrade from Van Der Kamp. Not taking anything away from Van Der Kamp, I just think Downing has a bigger leg and is more consistent at this point.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I am going with Jevohn Miller. His stepping up to lead the LB core has turned what could've been the achilles heel of the defense into an unexpected strength. He came on during the KU a WVU wins at the end of last year, but this year the big surprise was moving to MLB. It just tears me up that he had to burn his redshirt and this is his last year, but am greatful at least that his last year will be his best year.
I was going to go with Jevohn as well. Moving to the middle has made him into a completely new player.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Nothing new you guys pretty much have it covered. Lazard has handled starting really well, but Campos might be the most impressive to me. He got thrown into the fire and he's thrived off it. Cotton-Moya has convinced me he'll be an all conference player a couple times in his career.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is the run blocking from the WR's, they've all improved in that category.

Think this team is going to take it's fair share of lumps in the next month but there is definitely some young talent out there.