Pipe Burst in Hilton!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In other words, 3100 actual.

I would go with 4500. ;)

However, they still aren't going to let general admission into the empty parquet seats. Hell, I got the evil eye from the old folks around me for sitting in the parquet last year and I had bought the three tickets. If we hadn't been in our 60's they would probably have called the ashers even though the section was 50% empty around Christmas. BTW, they reported attendance that night vs Kansas at 9700. :rolleyes:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I would go with 4500. ;)

However, they still aren't going to let general admission into the empty parquet seats. Hell, I got the evil eye from the old folks around me for sitting in the parquet last year and I had bought the three tickets. If we hadn't been in our 60's they would probably have called the ashers even though the section was 75% empty around Christmas.

I bought really good seats to take my mom and aunt (early 70s) to a few games one year during a week. The first night(saturday or sunday) my mom had trouble with the stairs, but we were sitting near some recruits and parents, and my mom was friends with one of the recruits mom and grandmom, so she wanted to sit there. But, on the weekday game, my mom and aunt didn't want to walk up and down the stairs, and there were lots of empty seats near the concourse, so we moved up about 10 rows. This old couple ratted us out and the ushers came and made a scene, and I was look, my mom's knee hurts and she doesn't want to do the stairs, can you cut us a break. And then the old couple asked if they could move down to our seats. LOL

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
If this was a fire suppression pipe that broke, it could be a longer deal than just the cleanup. They are probably going to have to investigate why it broke, and determine if there is a system-wide issue.

Nah - sprinkler pipes are typically old and leak all the time. Shut the system down, repair the leak, turn the system back on is a couple hour deal. They can investigate the piping later to determine the extent of any system-wide corrosion.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Nah - sprinkler pipes are typically old and leak all the time. Shut the system down, repair the leak, turn the system back on is a couple hour deal. They can investigate the piping later to determine the extent of any system-wide corrosion.

Better grease the city building inspector's hand to do that. I assume there is some sort of code on that has to be followed on fire sprinkler systems.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Would sprinklers be effective up there for fire suppression?

Yes.

Plenty of buildings have their HVAC stuff on the roof. Handy place to put things where nobody can see them.

Yep.

... Or if the chillers were on the roof... As it appears they are on Google Earth...

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Exclusive photo of the team's morning shootaround:
mgvphoto-0206498-edit.jpg

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Mechanical fittings fail. Sprinkler heads fail.
Pinhole leaks can put out surprising amounts of water!
Never seen one just break. Fittings freeze and bust, and sometimes wet systems leak, but the pipes don't just bust like they sometimes do on regular plumbing lines.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
I would not expect it to be a dry system - it would be a standard wet system. Still not fun to clean up but can be done quickly.
We have 3 separate sprinkler systems and they are all dry systems. We can fill a 4 story building with foam in 30 seconds. But lots of codes and it would be interesting to see the insides of hilton

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
We have 3 separate sprinkler systems and they are all dry systems. We can fill a 4 story building with foam in 30 seconds. But lots of codes and it would be interesting to see the insides of hilton

I wouldn't expect it to be dry (or chemical, which is what you're referring to) because of the first cost and a wet system would function just fine. I could be wrong.
I am familiar with sprinkler systems in ~100 buildings that I oversee and do design work for, as a frame of reference. Very few are dry systems - mostly parking ramps and a few very highly sensitive areas. Some are chemical systems - such as helicopter landing pads and datacenters.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Help Support Us

Become a patron