Pat Forde on Kansas' hoops recruiting (FBI-related)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
"Oh, come on! I can state unequivocally that some of the possible allegations might be un-true in that Adidas could have done something that might not have been public knowledge of one of our staff that may or may not have contributed to the signing of a student athlete. We will, of course, non-comply with all alleged subpoenas and only sort of obstruct this witch hunt but we have a "Get out of jail free" card from the NCAA. Did I mention that Dr. Naismith used to coach here? I've explained myself now so GET OFF MY BACK and let's go back to giving us all the calls. And top players. Also, Svi didn't travel. Now I've got to decide the wording to be put on the 2018-2019 Big12 championship trophy because we're ordering them today."

5ab70a103f70e.image.jpg
Plausible deniability. It's scary how much KU basketball is similar to corrupt politicians and mafia dons.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
FWIW this is a KC MLB columnist for Yahoo...

@JeffPassan This is a huge story. And Kansas hiding behind FERPA -- which is a law that protects the privacy of "education records" and has absolutely nothing to do with personal privacy of under-the-table payments -- is an abuse of a well-intentioned statute. KU should be embarrassed.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
KU still in the news with Adidas and recruit violations.

Not out of the woods yet... With no end in sight.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...-to-turn-over-materials-about-adidas-recruit/
"A grand jury investigating alleged recruiting abuses in college basketball ordered the University of Kansas earlier this year to turn over communications involving its men’s team coaches and at least one prospective recruit, newly released records show.

The federal grand jury in New York also demanded copies of any agreements with apparel manufacturer Adidas and communications between the basketball coaches and company representatives.

“These documents do not suggest any wrongdoing by the university,” spokesman Andy Hyland said in an email Wednesday to The Associated Press, referring to the two subpoenas, which were sent in January and March. “We are cooperating fully with investigators in this matter.”

• Informative
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
No matter what the FBI does, Kansas won't be penalized. NCAA protects the bluebloods and their brand.

Say the dirtiest guy in the whole scandal is an asst coach at KU. FBI files charges. KU will claim he was rogue and deny all knowledge and be shocked, shocked. That will be enough of a fig leaf for the NCAA to let them off with nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel and surly

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
KU still in the news with Adidas and recruit violations.

Not out of the woods yet... With no end in sight.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...-to-turn-over-materials-about-adidas-recruit/
"A grand jury investigating alleged recruiting abuses in college basketball ordered the University of Kansas earlier this year to turn over communications involving its men’s team coaches and at least one prospective recruit, newly released records show.

The federal grand jury in New York also demanded copies of any agreements with apparel manufacturer Adidas and communications between the basketball coaches and company representatives.

“These documents do not suggest any wrongdoing by the university,” spokesman Andy Hyland said in an email Wednesday to The Associated Press, referring to the two subpoenas, which were sent in January and March. “We are cooperating fully with investigators in this matter.”
Adidas really seems to be at the heart of so many of these stories.

200w.webp

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
No matter what the FBI does, Kansas won't be penalized. NCAA protects the bluebloods and their brand.

Say the dirtiest guy in the whole scandal is an asst coach at KU. FBI files charges. KU will claim he was rogue and deny all knowledge and be shocked, shocked. That will be enough of a fig leaf for the NCAA to let them off with nothing.
Except that Kansas has been penalized multiple times by the NCAA over the course of the last two decades for violations. But cool story!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Except that Kansas has been penalized multiple times by the NCAA over the course of the last two decades for violations. But cool story!

How many scholarships lost? How many wins vacated? How many coaches and administrators fired/resigned? How many postseason bans?

That said, my point was less about KU than the NCAA. I have made this same point about football, which clearly has nothing to do with KU.

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they are gonna give Cleveland State the death penalty" - Jerry Tarkanian.

Reactions: kentkel

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Link? and even if true certainly not to the extent they should have been.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

This statement is hilariously sad. Think about it for a bit.