Paddy's remodel

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
AJ's and Yokes are awesome improvements to Campustown. Es Tas has gone downhill and needs a cleansing bad. Welch Ave Station is still legit... and always will be.

Es Tas is my favorite. Best place to watch a game and they actually have a system that allows you to get a drink in under 15 minutes.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Every time we would come back from Vegas I'd end up taking my drink from Sips or Paddys upstairs or downstairs and I'd get yelled at by the bouncer. I never understood why people couldn't do that.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Always super jazzed about selling us any beer or hard alcohol when we stop in there before tailgates.
We walks around and asks how people are doing. It's one of those small things that makes you want to go there.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
AJ's Ultra Lounge? It's on Lincoln way in the building that used to be capones. Same guy that owns the mart. It's pretty busy on mug nights now, they had blue moon mugs for 3$ and 1$ tequila shots last I knew.
I freaking love the Ultra Lounge. Great "pre-bar" bar, cuz it's cheap. Get drunk at AJ's then go somewhere where there's more people.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
It's about time that Paddy's Irish Pub becomes an "Irish Pub". Good lord the only things Irish in Paddy's before the renovation was an Ireland flag and a red head who works there.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Crazy, I worked at Sips and helped build Paddies when it opened.

ha ha, we might have worked together. i started working for andy doing construction for Sips when it first opened. fun times, then started working at Sips at that time. then went up to Paddy's when they expanded and opened both sides. those bathrooms have always been horrible. and they sucked to clean at the end of the night..

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Every time we would come back from Vegas I'd end up taking my drink from Sips or Paddys upstairs or downstairs and I'd get yelled at by the bouncer. I never understood why people couldn't do that.

According to my roommate who works there, you will be able to do this without issue after re-opening. We will see, I guess. Paddy's Facebook page has some pictures up and I have seen some from my roomie. It's a legit remodel, not the bs that they've tried to pass as "remodels" over the past 6-7 years. If you've ever been to The Local in Minneapolis, it's the same group that did that place. I don't know any details about the bathrooms, but I assume they will be about 10x better than they were, which still wouldn't be saying much. The crappy DJ is gone as well. Sips is getting remodeled too, though I doubt to the same extent as Paddy's. And yes, that Daily article was garbage.

EJ4CY

Feb 11, 2007
Lenexa KS
Worked both at sips and paddys. Helped with the second remodel. I can tell you that no money got put back in the business. Used to be clean, went back this past year and was embarrassed I had worked there

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Personally, I wonder why they would be bringing in stuff from Ireland to Paddy's. Been awhile since I've been in college, but I don't remember any of the bars being "nice". And if they were, they were immediately trashed. What works for a college bar is "durable". You have to have stuff that can withstand getting spilled/puked on and is easily cleaned. I'm wondering if the ownership group actually realizes who their patrons are. That said, it's nice to see SOMEONE putting some money into Campustown.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
ha ha, we might have worked together. i started working for andy doing construction for Sips when it first opened. fun times, then started working at Sips at that time. then went up to Paddy's when they expanded and opened both sides. those bathrooms have always been horrible. and they sucked to clean at the end of the night..

I DJ'd at Sips when Paddies opened, and worked the front door off and on. Did you bartend?

It would be an interesting debate, which bathroom was worse, Sips or Paddies.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Personally, I wonder why they would be bringing in stuff from Ireland to Paddy's. Been awhile since I've been in college, but I don't remember any of the bars being "nice". And if they were, they were immediately trashed. What works for a college bar is "durable". You have to have stuff that can withstand getting spilled/puked on and is easily cleaned. I'm wondering if the ownership group actually realizes who their patrons are. That said, it's nice to see SOMEONE putting some money into Campustown.

Valid points. Regardless, I'm excited to see the finished product, even though I don't go to Campustown anymore unless it's football season. I was a regular there for years and it will be interesting to see that bar meet its full potential after a decade of being a dump. To be honest, I'm mainly excited to see it w/o a crappy drop ceiling.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden

Im just happy they arn't sticking with the status quo. A change has been needed for a long time now. I will miss sticking to the floor when I walked in though. We stupidly had our grad party there a couple years ago. Every single mom that walked in was absolutely reviled by the place. Rightfully so. They didnt try too hard cleaning up from the night before.

Now let's see how the Element/Big Shots/Whatever the hell else its been called remodel will turn out. Anyone heard anymore news on that?

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Im just happy they arn't sticking with the status quo. A change has been needed for a long time now. I will miss sticking to the floor when I walked in though. We stupidly had our grad party there a couple years ago. Every single mom that walked in was absolutely reviled by the place. Rightfully so. They didnt try too hard cleaning up from the night before.

Now let's see how the Element/Big Shots/Whatever the hell else its been called remodel will turn out. Anyone heard anymore news on that?
Walked past it every day this summer. For sale sign has been up every day. Doors still chained up, and presumably no work being done on the inside. Has someone bought it? Crazy how it has been closed for so long, that is some prime real estate.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden

Help Support Us

Become a patron