PAC-12 News Coming Today???

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I kept thinking to myself "Why are these idiots adding South Dakota State" only to realize its San Diego State. My enthusiasm did not change with that realization. :D
I thought the same, expanding into that Central Time Zone market! Guess not though. So many other teams make more sense but that's probably coming.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I kinda think they do. They have to find some way to show they're still stable for both media partners and current teams who might be on the fence on leaving. Our stabalizer at 10 was adding TCU and WVU, as well as Texas and Oklahoma deciding to stay

An outright commitment from Oregon and Washington would do the trick in my opinion. But I dont see any way they do that
If Oregon & Washington don't sign a GOR, I would expect the Pac's media partners would want rights fee reduction built into the contract or right to re-open financials.

IMO if Big10 doesn't invite ducks or husky's soon, they will sign a GOR for the new media deal. It will only be for 5-6 years and the BIG 10 will still be there in 2030.

Reactions: CascadeClone

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

"San Diego State has dramatically reduced ticket prices for the season’s last three football games at Snapdragon Stadium.

Tickets for Saturday’s Mountain West game against UNLV that were priced from $78 to $103 are now $50 and tickets priced from $128 to $203 are now $75 (not including service charges).

The $50 and $75 price points also are in place for the season’s other two remaining home games — Nov. 12 against San Jose State and Nov. 26 against Air Force — for tickets previously priced from $73 to $88 and $143 to $153, respectively."
Holy $hit......tickets for UNLV priced from $128-$203. For a Mountain West football game...and $hitty UNLV. Their discounted prices are basically our full price tickets. No wonder they can't fill seats...

• Agree
Reactions: 06_CY

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
If Oregon & Washington don't sign a GOR, I would expect the Pac's media partners would want rights fee reduction built into the contract or right to re-open financials.

IMO if Big10 doesn't invite ducks or husky's soon, they will sign a GOR for the new media deal. It will only be for 5-6 years and the BIG 10 will still be there in 2030.
If the big10 wanted them they would already be in the big 10. I really just don't see an invite coming.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Makes me wonder if someone leaked this to get people excited about the PAC 12's future or upset (or just to gauge reaction)?
Certainly seems to be strategic following less than a week after Gonzaga talks with the Big 12 are revealed- but what that strategy is… who knows. Doesn’t really make much sense outside of “security in numbers.”

Reactions: Cyclonepride

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Certainly seems to be strategic following less than a week after Gonzaga talks with the Big 12 are revealed- but what that strategy is… who knows. Doesn’t really make much sense outside of “security in numbers.”
Gonzaga talked to Pac as well. SDSU has a solid hoops history, so maybe they add SDSU,.BSU & Gonzaga hoping to enhance their hoops prominence.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If the big10 wanted them they would already be in the big 10. I really just don't see an invite coming.
I think it has more to do with the fact that the B1G knows they don't have to grab them now. They can use UW and Oregon for leverage on their next TV deal.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

I believe the B1G still wants them(or some combination of 2-4 more). I also think obviously USC and UCLA would like more closer schools.

I just think there’s a few obstacles at the moment. Obviously they want Notre Dame, who is believed to extend with NBC but isn’t finalized yet. I think finalizing the Playoff logistics is playing a bit of a role. The B1G presidents want the other PAC schools to come at a discount like Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers did. I think they are also hoping the Big12 can poach a few first to help with that discounted rate.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have some of their shirts. Whenever a team gets bounced from the College World Series, their gear goes on sale outside of the stadium.

Sounds very Hunger Games.

I like it. Not only must you leave defeated, but your **** is outta here too

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Gotta expand somehow. When you're starting with a foundation of OSU, WSU, Cal, and Stanford, you can't be picky. Mountain West should be concerned.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I’m kind of at a loss if the SDSU to the PAC rumors are true. Yeah, it’s a step towards getting them back to 12, but it does nothing to close the revenue gap between them and the ACC/B12.

The only sense I can make of it is they feel like more dominoes are about to fall and they’re beefing up their membership numbers to account for it. If it’s true, this is the first step in the MWC morphing into the PAC and most of the current PAC getting folded into the P4.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I’m kind of at a loss if the SDSU to the PAC rumors are true. Yeah, it’s a step towards getting them back to 12, but it does nothing to close the revenue gap between them and the ACC/B12.

The only sense I can make of it is they feel like more dominoes are about to fall and they’re beefing up their membership numbers to account for it. If it’s true, this is the first step in the MWC morphing into the PAC and most of the current PAC getting folded into the P4.

But if there are more domino's that will fall, what's SDSU's motivation? Let them fall then make a move.

Only way I can see this making sense is if they do have a new contract in principle that does close the gap. Maybe their media partner required a GOR from all proposed members and they needed to announce the newcomers before they could sign the GOR.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
But if there are more domino's that will fall, what's SDSU's motivation? Let them fall then make a move.

Only way I can see this making sense is if they do have a new contract in principle that does close the gap. Maybe their media partner required a GOR from all proposed members and they needed to announce the newcomers before they could sign the GOR.
I think the PAC will survive one way or another, even if it's essentially the MWC + whatever current PAC members don't find another P4 home. That's assuming there's further realignment in the future. The PAC brand has more history and gravitas, even if there would be no functional difference between the PAC leftovers joining the MWC, or the MWC members joining the PAC.

SDSU's motivation would be strictly financial. The MWC pays out about $7M last year compared to the PAC's $34.4M. Even a partial share would be a big revenue bump.

My confusion is why the PAC would make this move. SDSU doesn't help close the revenue gap unless they're taking a massively smaller share than the rest of the conference. Additionally, 11 teams doesn't make sense unless they think someone is about to jump ship. If they dip below 10 schools, they'd lose the conference title game and the revenue that goes with it. Are they going to take one someone else as well to get to 12? Or are they worried about another defection and want to ensure they stay at 10?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the PAC will survive one way or another, even if it's essentially the MWC + whatever current PAC members don't find another P4 home. That's assuming there's further realignment in the future. The PAC brand has more history and gravitas, even if there would be no functional difference between the PAC leftovers joining the MWC, or the MWC members joining the PAC.

SDSU's motivation would be strictly financial. The MWC pays out about $7M last year compared to the PAC's $34.4M. Even a partial share would be a big revenue bump.

My confusion is why the PAC would make this move. SDSU doesn't help close the revenue gap unless they're taking a massively smaller share than the rest of the conference. Additionally, 11 teams doesn't make sense unless they think someone is about to jump ship. If they dip below 10 schools, they'd lose the conference title game and the revenue that goes with it. Are they going to take one someone else as well to get to 12? Or are they worried about another defection and want to ensure they stay at 10?
It’s a move for the future, I think. If you know you’re going to lose members, why not staff up now so you don’t dissolve before being able to pick up a few? SDSU likely knows they aren’t going to play in the league as we know it but it would still be a move up if you have Cal, Oregon State, Wash State, etc.

Help Support Us

Become a patron