OU’s Coale retires after 25 seasons

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Morning Rush had Jennie on this morning afterwards Travis threw some names out. 1 was Jan Jensen who I agree isn't leaving Iowa. The other name was intriguing. He brought up Connie Yori. She's from Ankeny and knows the Midwest. I looked her bio up and the one possible knock is she hasn't coached since she was let go from Nebraska in 2016.

Yori is unlikely but interesting. Think she might be dead to the basketball world after the way things augered in at Nebraska. She was only 51 when she got fired and didn't get another coaching job while being only two years removed from Big 10 COY. Ended up as some sort of adviser at Creighton. Pretty sure her coaching career is done.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
We hired TJ because of his connections here without a real search. Billy should get the job of the same standard is applied.

If Billy had successful HC experience like Otz, you might have a point here.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Found a YouTube video of Drake AD Brian Hardin addressing their WBB coaching search. He says he will conduct a national search and won't rush into making the decision. He believes Drake WBB is a top 40 program which is better than some P5 jobs. Hopefully, Drake can pay a fairly attractive amount of $ and get someone who fits their culture.

Regarding Coach Jennie B's leaving for OU, he shares the same sentiment as CBF often preaches "Don't be sorry it's over, be happy it's happened."

On the OU's side...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Found a YouTube video of Drake AD Brian Hardin addressing their WBB coaching search. He says he will conduct a national search and won't rush into making the decision. He believes Drake WBB is a top 40 program which is better than some P5 jobs. Hopefully, Drake can pay a fairly attractive amount of $ and get someone who fits their culture.

Regarding Coach Jennie B's leaving for OU, he shares the same sentiment as CBF often preaches "Don't be sorry it's over, be happy it's happened."

AD couldn't really feel otherwise without being an ass about it. She coached there nine years and certainly had P5 inquires starting five years ago when she won the conference and made the NCAA's.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Id really like to see Billy get a chance to interview and accept the drake job if offered to him..

This would be a great job for Billy to get his feet wet as a head coach. I've said this several times here but I would really like for him to be a HC at another school before just handing him the reigns here when his dad retires. ISU is an established P5 program that surely could attract some experienced and qualified head coaches when the job does open up. Kind of the same thoughts I had when we hired Prohm over TJ at the time. TJ is probably a much more experienced and well rounded coach and better prepared for this job now than he was at the time and I think he's better set up to succeed now because of that too.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The following is a nice short video of the first day of Jennie B at OU. I must say she has killed it (not just by the appearance of course). The OU fanbase is very excited about the hiring. I'm glad a coach from the State of Iowa is well received and will likely do something great there. It also makes me concerned that we are facing better competition in the Big12 in the foreseeable future.

Also, here's a 10-min video of One-On-One with Jennie B.

https://soonersports.com/watch/?Archive=6115&type=Archive

Last edited:
Reactions: gizzsdad

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
"Magic" isn't that blasphemous. Hand of God maybe but no magic. Okies I know would say magic is the work of Satan. Seriously. By the way, "Magic" is trade marked by the Hilton chain (Hilton North, Hilton South...)

Reactions: NWICY and wbbnut

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

Love how coaches are now sponsored now. At least it's not a company. Before the hate or attacks come yes I know Susie is a donor and if they write a check they have the right to sponsor. I'm just making the comment that it looks weird in the written form in the graphic.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Love how coaches are now sponsored now. At least it's not a company. Before the hate or attacks come yes I know Susie is a donor and if they write a check they have the right to sponsor. I'm just making the comment that it looks weird in the written form in the graphic.

I think the term they would prefer to be used is endow;)

The Glazer gift was something like $5- so the investment income (at 6-8%) on that gift would pay a substantial portion of the WBB coaches salary at Drake.

In the case of the Moon family gift to Iowa. I believe that gift was like $10M - seems like Iowa sold themselves short to include the family name in the coaches title. That said, it is a VERY BIG gift.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Ego is a hell of a thing.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Just as expected, Jennie B. endorses Allison Pohlman. Hopefully AP can keep most of the current Drake players in the program and build on the success.

Also, former Drake WBB stars Caitlin Ingle, Becca Hittner, Sara Rhine publicly congratulated the hiring.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

The concept of an endowed chair in academia has been around for a long time. Someone or some entity provides the money to support the program and in turn gets recognition through a title. My brother is a dean of a school of business and his title has an endowed title attached. It was only a matter of time before this appeared in sports. Give x amount for an endowed coaching position, give more to name part of the facility, etc.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The concept of an endowed chair in academia has been around for a long time. Someone or some entity provides the money to support the program and in turn gets recognition through a title. My brother is a dean of a school of business and his title has an endowed title attached. It was only a matter of time before this appeared in sports. Give x amount for an endowed coaching position, give more to name part of the facility, etc.

Jeff Johnson's position at ISUAA was the first non-academic position at ISU to be "endowed" so it is happening at ISU. I think the official position title is "Lora and Russ Talbot Iowa State University Alumni Association Endowed President and Chief Executive". Although I'd just shorten that to Dr. Johnson. ;)

Reactions: acoustimac

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Two Oklahoma articles that detailing the hiring of Jennie B. and Porter Moser.

An interesting tidbit is when they flew in Jennie B. for an interview, they made a reservation at a local restaurant using the name "Aubrey Graham", the real name of Drake the rapper. ;)

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spo...-two-basketball-coaching-searches/7286595002/

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/colle...cle_f3094068-a130-11eb-867d-6319fe40431b.html

Also, rumor has it that Jennie B. is considering hiring Norman High School GBB head coach Michael Neal as her assistant. Michael Neal played for OU MBB from 2005-2007. THE Norman HS GBB team won both the 2019 and 2021 state championships under Neal (probably 2020 if not canceled due to Covid).

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Also, rumor has it that Jennie B. is considering hiring Norman High School GBB head coach Michael Neal as her assistant. Michael Neal played for OU MBB from 2005-2007. THE Norman HS GBB team won both the 2019 and 2021 state championships under Neal (probably 2020 if not canceled due to Covid).

It's official.

Background about Chantel Osahor:
She was a player from U of Washington when Mike Neighbors was there and drafted by WNBA in 2017 but got cut. She then had a 2-year stint as a graduate manager at Drake (2017-2019). Most recently, she has served as an assistant coach at Arkansas under Mike Neighbors in the past two seasons.

https://www.normantranscript.com/sp...cle_d439cb5e-a396-11eb-9fb5-dbc246b22226.html

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron