OT Nostalgia: Let's Go To The Mall!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
For me (80s) the closest was Kennedy Mall in DBQ.

KB, Waldenbooks, Spencer Gifts (this was before it was an adult shop). The pet store! almost forgot about that. Didn't have any money for video games or records(!!), though we'd check out Musicland to see the cool bands we heard on the radio.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Grew up in the 80's and 90's and going to the mall was a treat as a kid. We lived about 40 minutes outside of Des Moines so no big stores near us. Usually went to Valley West Mall. They didn't really have a food court back then so I remember they had stuff like McDonalds with a caraseol and Sabharro pizza sandwiched between stores. Trying to remember all the fun stores they used to have as they came and went regularly. Usually an arcade and bulk candy store, used to be a movie theater, RadioShack, I think Musicland was in there? Bet if in dig around can dig up something about old stores there.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

giphy.gif

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
When did you love going to the mall when you were kids/teens/adults or era's??

I was going to Jordan Creek to go to Scheels for Iowa State stuff, and I went inside the mall and it's so lame. The biggest store besides the anchors is the Apple Store. It's like 35 employees (I counted) with a bunch idiots trying to pretend which buy.. "should I be a iPhone, or a iPAd? Or the Pro!". But they just want other people to see they are a trendy store.

About a month ago I went a mall with my sister and my nephews to get something, and I said "OH KB TOYS!". Both of my nephews asked "what's KB Store?". Remember how the mall was awesome? I grew up in SW Iowa and went to the Malls of the Bluffs and it was a BIG event! (besides WalMart in Shenandoah)

What did you love in the mall!

1. KB Toys.
This was awesome! Find all the new toys, and you could even play them they had sample with them. Your parent could let you play for an hour while they go some adult stores.

https%3A%2F%2Fimage.pennlive.com%2Fhome%2Fpenn-media%2Fwidth600%2Fimg%2Fbusiness%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F03%2F21%2F502-kb-toysbiz-kb-1jpg-1ffb2c8c6e381165.jpg

2. Music/Record Stores (Sam Goody)
Find out the new music is released. Not just doing on Spotify with a single, you'll figure out the all album. Remember Listening Stations. I'd listen for CD's for hours.

7qqjgpnpf7y71.jpg

3. Oh ya, the girls.

sub-buzz-405-1636562614-14.jpg

And the fun to just joke around!

1. The Penis Game : A game in which you and one or more friends take turns yelling 'penis' as loud as you possibly can.

tumblr_mykkhjaTOA1sv47rso1_500.gif

2. The Buckle Game: the task of walking thru The Buckle (or a similar trendy clothing store) from the entrance to the back wall and back to the entrance without having a salesperson talk to you the entire way through.
My friend still played in Ames for college. He'd sneak and army crawl around the store and when he got caught the employee, he'd run out while yell and put his hands in his ears.

IMG_8341.jpg

OR just be hide when you were younger.

hkii5cl21iz51.jpg

What else!

Those circle racks were the reason I had to be leashed in a department store. My parents said I would pick one and sit in it dead silent until someone found me, no matter how much fuss was going on looking for me.

• Funny
Reactions: Farnsworth and MJ29

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Every great once in a while mom would treat the old Brasky Boys to some Southern Hills Mall fine dining.

View attachment 129411

It was never the biggest mall but Southern Hills mall was really good in its day.

Especially for food. I was always suprised when I went to Westroads/Crossroads/Oakview in Omaha and the food court totally sucked compared to Sioux City Southern Hills. Like not even close 3x better. They definitely had better places to shop for clothes at the Omaha malls though.

Then it had Bishop, York, Max's as actual restaurants too. The Target must have done a ton of business back then. My memories of Target there in the 80s are of it being the most crowded place in Iowa. For a long time the Chinese food at southern hills mall was my favorite chinese food.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It was never the biggest mall but Southern Hills mall was really good in its day.

Especially for food. I was always suprised when I went to Westroads/Crossroads/Oakview in Omaha and the food court totally sucked compared to Sioux City Southern Hills. Like not even close 3x better. They definitely had better places to shop for clothes at the Omaha malls though.

Then it had Bishop, York, Max's as actual restaurants too. The Target must have done a ton of business back then. My memories of Target there in the 80s are of it being the most crowded place in Iowa. For a long time the Chinese food at southern hills mall was my favorite chinese food.

Southern Hills had a Chick-Fil-A back in the day! Oh and Mr. Potato was very underrated as well!

Reactions: bos and HFCS

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I'm laughing at your Target comment because that is exactly how I remember that place. It was always crazy busy.

• Agree
Reactions: HOTDON and HFCS

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
teenager in the 80s. We would get dropped off at either Merle Hay or Valley West, spend all day there hanging out. I thought the movie Weird Science captured that era perfectly. I would always eat at Scotto's Pizza at Valley West mall. The family owned it was from Italy, they didn't speak the best English, but they made killer pizza. They used to give a a free slice every now and again because they knew I was Italian and they called it the "Dago discount". Anyone remember that pizza place?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I grew up in a town with the closets mall an hour away. We did have a Pamida though, that place was rocking.

Ya I was an hour from the mall, so it was a BIG BIG event. We had a Pamida AND a KMart, so we roller blade or bike to go downtown both and then get ice cream with Dairy Queen,

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Goldmine Arcade at Lindale Mall in CR. Lived there. Every now and then we'd hit Aladdin's Castle Arcade at Westdale when we wanted to scope out exotic west side of CR chicks.

This must preclude Tilt?

I was in Lindale last winter during that cold snap and just walked around to try to figure out where everything once was.