OT: Cord cutting questions

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I got my Fire Stick 4K yesterday and played around with it last night. I have been using Roku only for a long time so this was a different experience for me. Setup was very easy! That said...the interface is a bit overwhelming compared to Roku! I don't mean that it is bad...there is just so much going on when comparing it to the Roku interface (which may just be because I am used to Roku). Roku's design is very simple yet very effective. Getting past that, the picture on the TV streaming thru the Fire Stick is awesome! There were a few apps I couldn't find that I occasionally use on Roku but nothing major. Overall I am impressed in my first impression of the Fire Stick and will get used to it vs my Roku devices. For $25 I am very happy with it!

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
Got Firestick today and messing around. Watching live tv through the YouTube TV app through the Firstick and there is still a lag time over a minute with the other tv that's still set up through Comcast until we cancel.

I thought getting a device like a Firestick or Roku was supposed to limit this kind of lag time. What are we doing wrong?
It might be your internet provider/speed. I set my dad up with YTTV and he has Windstream and his lag time is around 60-90 seconds. Mine is closer to 30 with 1 gig Mediacom service.

Reactions: cyfanatic

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I got my Fire Stick 4K yesterday and played around with it last night. I have been using Roku only for a long time so this was a different experience for me. Setup was very easy! That said...the interface is a bit overwhelming compared to Roku! I don't mean that it is bad...there is just so much going on when comparing it to the Roku interface (which may just be because I am used to Roku). Roku's design is very simple yet very effective. Getting past that, the picture on the TV streaming thru the Fire Stick is awesome! There were a few apps I couldn't find that I occasionally use on Roku but nothing major. Overall I am impressed in my first impression of the Fire Stick and will get used to it vs my Roku devices. For $25 I am very happy with it!

We love ours too despite the lag issue. I just need to get past that. We are saving over $100 a month dropping cable and going with YTTV/Fire Stick. It's worth it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
This. If it's 10 seconds, fine. I can deal and understand. But I text a ton with friends and family during ISU games. Being a full two minutes behind of them is insane.
A different device is unlikely to affect this. Streaming will never keep up with broadcast television or cable. You need a fast Internet connection with almost no latency.

If you're really willing to deal with it, every commercial break you can FF/'return to live' to try and minimize the amount of buffer your stream is giving you. You're much more susceptible to buffering/pausing doing this but you'll be as close to 'live' as you can get.

My wife got over it, she told her mom to stop texting her and stopped looking at Twitter. I don't ever want to talk to anyone during a game anyway, so works for me!

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
Just cut the cord by purchasing a Fire stick 4K plus Youtube TV, and canceled my DirectTv. I am not young nor an expert at all in regards to technology, but I will say the setup and transition to this device has gone well.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Snagged a new Roku TV for Christmas and a new Roku Ultra for the non-smart TV. Cleared some shows we've been meaning to watch off the DVR, and turned the boxes in today. Mediacom really didn't resist or throw us any offers at all.

We've officially taken the leap.

chicagocyfan

Apr 11, 2006
Chicago
Thinking of cutting the cord from Xfinity (Comast) for TV - have to keep the internet as top provider in my area. My only concern is that I have 2 TVs connected to surround sound and I haven't heard streaming services support. Is this the case? Also, the 2 surrounds are Bose hard-wired and Sonos wifi systems.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Thinking of cutting the cord from Xfinity (Comast) for TV - have to keep the internet as top provider in my area. My only concern is that I have 2 TVs connected to surround sound and I haven't heard streaming services support. Is this the case? Also, the 2 surrounds are Bose hard-wired and Sonos wifi systems.
The generic answer is "Yes, on some programming on some devices". It's unlikely you will find definitive answers from the providers, because there are a lot of variables involved. Most likely the audio will only be 2 channels

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
What internet speeds do you need to stream YouTube TV, etc., without issues? I've been thinking about making the switch. I can get 25 Mbps at my location.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
What internet speeds do you need to stream YouTube TV, etc., without issues? I've been thinking about making the switch. I can get 25 Mbps at my location.
Netflix has had this help article for quite some time
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

I used to stream Playstation Vue at 12Mb and rarely had issues. Depending on what all you're using your Internet connection for at the same time 25 is plenty to stream

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Netflix has had this help article for quite some time
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

I used to stream Playstation Vue at 12Mb and rarely had issues. Depending on what all you're using your Internet connection for at the same time 25 is plenty to stream

Watch the data caps too, if you have them. I read that an hour of Netflix in HD can use up to 3GB of data.

• Informative
Reactions: arobb

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Been on yttv for about 6 weeks now after switching from PSVue. I like it better. That said why don’t streaming services have The Weather Channel?

• Agree

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Snagged a new Roku TV for Christmas and a new Roku Ultra for the non-smart TV. Cleared some shows we've been meaning to watch off the DVR, and turned the boxes in today. Mediacom really didn't resist or throw us any offers at all.

We've officially taken the leap.

who do u use for interweb services?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

thats what i have. thinking about going with YoutubeTV.

do you have internet 100?

my biggest issue is that if i do that, at the end of the day my internet will still be close to $100 plus another $50/$60 for youtube and im almost right back to what im paying now.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
thats what i have. thinking about going with YoutubeTV.

do you have internet 100?

my biggest issue is that if i do that, at the end of the day my internet will still be close to $100 plus another $50/$60 for youtube and im almost right back to what im paying now.

Mediacom 100 is $80/month plus tax. Call it $85. This assumes no other services from Mediacom. Their rate card shows a $15 surcharge for internet-only service but I've spoken with two reps there who did not include that in their price quote to me even when I asked. Why they don't charge it, I don't know.

YTTV is $50/month plus tax, so $53 or so depending on your local sales tax - again, assuming no add-ons. So your total is in the ballpark of $138. (Also worth remembering...you get a good DVR with YTTV, convenience of watching on any device, etc.)

You might get a better Mediacom deal if you cancel then restart service, but eventually it will go back up to normal.

Depending on your situation - number of family members/devices, how much TV you watch, etc. - you might be able to drop down to 60Mbps and save $10/month.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Mediacom 100 is $80/month plus tax. Call it $85. This assumes no other services from Mediacom. Their rate card shows a $15 surcharge for internet-only service but I've spoken with two reps there who did not include that in their price quote to me even when I asked. Why they don't charge it, I don't know.

YTTV is $50/month plus tax, so $53 or so depending on your local sales tax - again, assuming no add-ons. So your total is in the ballpark of $138. (Also worth remembering...you get a good DVR with YTTV, convenience of watching on any device, etc.)

You might get a better Mediacom deal if you cancel then restart service, but eventually it will go back up to normal.

Depending on your situation - number of family members/devices, how much TV you watch, etc. - you might be able to drop down to 60Mbps and save $10/month.

Yeah, i'm not sure what i'll do.

I assumed it would be $140/$150 for internet only and YTTV. Right now, my mediacom bill is pushing $200. But that is still $600 or so in savings.

I have mediacom 100 for internet right now, usually never any issues when I have to stream something. You ever run into lagging behind or anything while watching live sports?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Yeah, i'm not sure what i'll do.

I assumed it would be $140/$150 for internet only and YTTV. Right now, my mediacom bill is pushing $200. But that is still $600 or so in savings.

I have mediacom 100 for internet right now, usually never any issues when I have to stream something. You ever run into lagging behind or anything while watching live sports?
The big thing that people don't do when comparing is calculating the cost of internet if they don't stream. Most of us would be paying for internet even without streaming. So if you could get by with the basic $35 CenturyLink without streaming, but decide you need the Mediacom 100Mb plan to get the higher data cap and it costs $85, your net add is $50 plus your streaming charge of ~$55. Total is $105 vs $140 for the total cost of internet and streaming. At least that's how I justify it. I have to have solid internet as I work from home.

• Winner
Reactions: STATE12