OT: Cord cutting questions

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Just in case some missed this...I see that PBS is now live in Iowa on YouTube TV. In case you arrange your channels on the guide...Iowa Public Television might not show up on its own...but IPTV is now streaming on YTTV! PBS Kids is streaming now as well but I do like that IPTV is offered and that it is not the generic "national" feed!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Guess I am out of the loop...didn't realize IPTV renamed itself Iowa PBS. Just saw that...anyway...Iowa PBS is now streaming on YouTube TV. (I am positive I will forever think of it as IPTV however)

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
They're very comparable. Hulu Live has a lot more on demand content and also original content. YTTV is slightly less expensive and has a couple more channels.

After having both HuluLive and YouTube TV there's no comparison, YTTV is vastly superior. Better price, better interface and better cloud DVR not to mention you can stream on 3 devices at once compared to only 2 on HuluLive.

I use my Sprint service to get basic Hulu at no charge, but to be honest, it's out of sight out of mind for me.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
After having both HuluLive and YouTube TV there's no comparison, YTTV is vastly superior. Better price, better interface and better cloud DVR not to mention you can stream on 3 devices at once compared to only 2 on HuluLive.

I use my Sprint service to get basic Hulu at no charge, but to be honest, it's out of sight out of mind for me.

I definitely wouldn't say vastly superior. I've had both and only went with YTTV because of the price. I do miss the Hulu on demand content though. The interfaces are different but I wouldn't put one above the other. I don't use the DVR functionality at all because I just watch content on demand.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Recommendations on a WiFi solution for my dad. He has good speed coming into the house. The weird thing is KCTC in Kalona is his provider and the modem is mounted outside. An Ethernet cable is coming into the house where I'm mounting his TV. I signed him up for YouTube TV. He has a two-story home and the Ethernet is only on the main level. So I want a WiFi signal that will be good for main level and upstairs. Small home, like 800 sq ft on each level. He lives alone and won't use the internet for anything but streaming. Any recommendations? Least expensive. I have the Ubiquiti stuff, but I'm not paying for that for him.

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
Help Please...I'm a "Senior" Citizen looking for some help when it comes to technology dealing with TV options. After reading some of these responses I might be even more confused.

I've had Direct TV for decades and they just raised up their price once again and I told them I'm done with them. They didn't even have any promotions to pass on.

I use Century Link as my internet provider.

I have two TV's that are both Sony Bravia. What's the best option for a TV package that you would recommend that a Non Techie person like myself can handle??

TIA

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Help Please...I'm a "Senior" Citizen looking for some help when it comes to technology dealing with TV options. After reading some of these responses I might be even more confused.

I've had Direct TV for decades and they just raised up their price once again and I told them I'm done with them. They didn't even have any promotions to pass on.

I have two TV's that are both Sony Bravia. What's the best option for a TV package that you would recommend that a Non Techie person like myself can handle??

TIA
I’d go with a stand alone Roku device for each. Or you could mix it up and go with one Roku and one other brand for different options. I have 3 Rokus and subscribe to YouTubeTV, Philo, and Amazon Prime. I’d be interested to hear how Century Link works out for streaming for you. I’ve heard both good and bad so far, but would like to be done with Mediacom completely if I could. There is a ton of free content available through a Roku device. If you can get by without local channels, live sports, and network programming you can really get by on the cheap. I’m not all that tech savvy and had no problem setting up Roku devices. Basically just turn it on and follow the on-screen directions. Good luck.

Reactions: STATE12

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

TIA

I'll take a stab at trying to walk through this at 10,000 ft. This is what I've suggested to a few others that have considered making this switch and are completely lost when it comes to technology, with a couple of assumptions made.

Assumption 1: The two TVs aren't "smart" TVs. If they are smart TVs, then purchasing the equipment/device to run the TV application isn't needed.

Assumption 2: You have wifi in your home, which will allow the equipment/device that runs the TV application to get the internet connection it needs (otherwise you'd need to have it hard wired which can be difficult depending on where/how far away the TVs are from your router). I've often seen a recommendation to have internet speeds of at least 15Mbps for each device you want to run. In your case that would be 30. (I have 20 Mbps and can run a couple of streaming devices and seemingly have minimal problems with quality and buffering, but that might not be the norm).

Assumption 3: Your TVs have and HDMI port. If they're not super old, this shouldn't be an issue.

Step 1: Decide on a device that you'll use to stream your TV service to your TV. Think of this like the box that currently connects to your TV for DirecTV, for this it's a one time cost. Examples I'm more familiar with are Roku and Amazon Fire Box, but there are some others. I know other people have had good luck with some of the upgraded speeds of some of the "stick" options of these devices, but I like the speed of the (slightly) bigger more reliable box. I think they are more convenient also since they'll have a remote rather than having to use your phone to control it (like the chrome cast for example).

Step 2: After purchasing your device and powering it up/plugging it into your HDMI port on your TV, you'll need to decide on which streaming service/application you want for live TV. Here the examples I'm more familiar with are YouTube TV and Hulu Live. These are your subscriptions like what your contract would have been on DirecTV (except you can cancel and don't have to commit for multiple years like DirecTV). This is a monthly cost.

With this, you should be set up to be able to stream your TV channels. You'd just need to get your TV to the right input (like you would for your DirecTV box), then use the remote to your streaming device to select the app you choose for the TV subscription (from Step 2).

Sorry if I made some obvious statements, sometimes it's difficult to know what the familiarity level is with a self proclaimed "non techie". :)

Reactions: Acylum

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

TIA

How comfortable are you with using a smartphone? Using a streaming solution in place of your existing satellite is similar to navigating the apps on a phone. If that is too daunting to you then I would recommend you call the cable/satellite companies and see who can give you the best price.

If you are a pro with your smartphone, then a streaming solution should be no-problem. Do you have kids/grandkids/young neighbors that can help walk you through whichever option you go with? Younger kids can do a surprisingly good job of explaining how the remotes work and how to navigate through the app(s).

Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
How comfortable are you with using a smartphone? Using a streaming solution in place of your existing satellite is similar to navigating the apps on a phone. If that is too daunting to you then I would recommend you call the cable/satellite companies and see who can give you the best price.

If you are a pro with your smartphone, then a streaming solution should be no-problem. Do you have kids/grandkids/young neighbors that can help walk you through whichever option you go with? Younger kids can do a surprisingly good job of explaining how the remotes work and how to navigate through the app(s).
Yeah the navigation/ interface/ user friendliness differences between apps can get confusing. It took me a while to figure out how to see the channels on Philo. You just scroll up from the home page but it’s not very intuitive. Just a ^ with Menu underneath it, but I thought that was the title of the screen I was on until I accidentally scrolled too far up and found the channel list. And don’t even get me started on the IPTV app. Horrible.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
HBO Max becomes available today. Here is a video that HBO has put out to describe the difference between their 3 streaming platforms:

HBO Max costs $15/mo. If you currently subscribe to HBO through certain satellite/cable providers or if you have a monthly HBO Now subscription through certain online companies you will have access to HBO Max.

https://www.hbomax.com/do-i-already-have-access

Edit: HBO Max is available today - I thought today was Tuesday

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
HBO Max becomes available tomorrow. Here is a video that HBO has put out to describe the difference between their 3 streaming platforms:

HBO Max costs $15/mo. If you currently subscribe to HBO through certain satellite/cable providers or if you have a monthly HBO Now subscription through certain online companies you will have access to HBO Max.

https://www.hbomax.com/do-i-already-have-access

It's too bad it's not supported on Roku and Amazon devices.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
In the process of cutting the direcTV cord! Researched the most popular options and started the trial of YouTubeTV last weekend. So far, I am very impressed and am kicking myself for not doing this before now. YTV navigation takes a bit of getting used to, but then again so did DirecTV when we got that several years ago.

I also upgraded our internet to 200 mbs. If there is one thing I have learned during work from home quarantine with 2 kids, it is that internet speed is a must when 10 or more devices are using it at any given time. Plus adding streaming TV multiplies that usage. Anyway, just a thumbs up on YTV for others considering cord cutting.

small edit. We have one smart TV and I am using Amazon Firestick for 3 TVs and an Xbox one for a 5th. Fire sticks are great and super easy to use.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In the process of cutting the direcTV cord! Researched the most popular options and started the trial of YouTubeTV last weekend. So far, I am very impressed and am kicking myself for not doing this before now. YTV navigation takes a bit of getting used to, but then again so did DirecTV when we got that several years ago.

I also upgraded our internet to 200 mbs. If there is one thing I have learned during work from home quarantine with 2 kids, it is that internet speed is a must when 10 or more devices are using it at any given time. Plus adding streaming TV multiplies that usage. Anyway, just a thumbs up on YTV for others considering cord cutting.

small edit. We have one smart TV and I am using Amazon Firestick for 3 TVs and an Xbox one for a 5th. Fire sticks are great and super easy to use.

The one issue I have with streaming is there are no channel numbers. So if you know you want to go to ESPN, rather than just typing a couple numbers in your remote you have to scroll through the channel list.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The one issue I have with streaming is there are no channel numbers. So if you know you want to go to ESPN, rather than just typing a couple numbers in your remote you have to scroll through the channel list.
Unless you have Alexa built-in or something similar. Then you just ask for ESPN.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I have YTTV and it allows for "favorite" channels. It then puts these channels at the top of the list.
I had PS Vue before this and it also had an option for favorites. Doesn't exactly solve the channel number problem, but does make it faster to find the channels I watch the most.

A feature I'd really like to see is Previous Channel. It is really annoying when I'm flipping between games and have go back to the menu to find the other channel. It shouldn't be hard to let me flip between channels quickly.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I have YTTV and it allows for "favorite" channels. It then puts these channels at the top of the list.
I had PS Vue before this and it also had an option for favorites. Doesn't exactly solve the channel number problem, but does make it faster to find the channels I watch the most.

A feature I'd really like to see is Previous Channel. It is really annoying when I'm flipping between games and have go back to the menu to find the other channel. It shouldn't be hard to let me flip between channels quickly.

Previous channel is down twice then enter.

My issue with the channel list is that we have kids that want their channels on top as well. We only have one user for all of us because Google tied the user list as the same as the family link system so we have a bunch of kids accounts and they cannot have a YTTV user account. It's a trade off whether we want remote access to kids tablets or having multiple users in the YTTV account.

Reactions: DSMCy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Previous channel is down twice then enter.

My issue with the channel list is that we have kids that want their channels on top as well. We only have one user for all of us because Google tied the user list as the same as the family link system so we have a bunch of kids accounts and they cannot have a YTTV user account. It's a trade off whether we want remote access to kids tablets or having multiple users in the YTTV account.
giphy.gif

How did I not know this?!?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
giphy.gif

How did I not know this?!?

Wait, just double checked, down 3 times then enter. But a warning, if someone else on your account is also watching TV, their channels may be first on the list and you'll need to scroll right to get your channel. It'll keep the past several channels on the list.