Oscars 2020 - More Men, Please?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Here in LA the Oscars are on tv at all the bars and restaurants like a football game would be, even the SAG awards are.

Those who know me in the cave can say I'm quite liberal to say the least. That shown did not need to be more racially and ethnically diverse than it was. Many racial minorities were represented in some very strong way, the black community was possibly represented at a higher % than the 14% of the population the demographic is. "Why are the Oscars so white?" is a really really stupid thing to say this morning when a Korean language film took home best picture.

You could tell there was some effort to highlight women in technical awards, they bent over backwards to showcase women in the best score department, but it is a real issue in the industry (or any American industry) when it comes to something like best director or the producers. Now we're talking about a 50% or 51% demographic, not 14%. The idea that no female directors or producers get a nomination in many years speaks to some clear actual lack of opportunity. The one instance of female directors/producers was the producers of the Korean winning best picture, not Hollywood/America.

It's a math thing. I'd compare it to sports writers who expect the Big 12's 10 teams to have as many bowl teams or ncaa tourney teams as the Big 10/ACC's 14 or 15 teams.

The 14% number points out that some of the alleged annual oversight of the black community in hollywood is not the same injustice it once was. The 50% for women points that it is quite ridiculous only something like 2% of the directors and producers are women. I'm sure there are industries that are much worse at racial inclusion and I'm sure there are industries that are much better at female leadership.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Here in LA the Oscars are on tv at all the bars and restaurants like a football game would be, even the SAG awards are.

Those who know me in the cave can say I'm quite liberal to say the least. That shown did not need to be more racially and ethnically diverse than it was. Many racial minorities were represented in some very strong way, the black community was possibly represented at a higher % than the 14% of the population the demographic is. "Why are the Oscars so white?" is a really really stupid thing to say this morning when a Korean language film took home best picture.

You could tell there was some effort to highlight women in technical awards, they bent over backwards to showcase women in the best score department, but it is a real issue in the industry (or any American industry) when it comes to something like best director or the producers. Now we're talking about a 50% or 51% demographic, not 14%. The idea that no female directors or producers get a nomination in many years speaks to some clear actual lack of opportunity. The one instance of female directors/producers was the producers of the Korean winning best picture, not Hollywood/America.

It's a math thing. I'd compare it to sports writers who expect the Big 12's 10 teams to have as many bowl teams or ncaa tourney teams as the Big 10/ACC's 14 or 15 teams.

The 14% number points out that some of the alleged annual oversight of the black community in hollywood is not the same injustice it once was. The 50% for women points that it is quite ridiculous only something like 2% of the directors and producers are women. I'm sure there are industries that are much worse at racial inclusion and I'm sure there are industries that are much better at female leadership.

I follow a lot of parental leave advocacy accounts and something they've pushed a lot this season is how the DGA requires minimum earnings per year to qualify for their health insurance. This absolutely kills women who have a pregnancy/baby and take off time in that year. They cite it as one of the obstacles women face in directing that men do not.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I'm not a fan of Greta (didn't see little women but didn't like Ladybird) but the fans of her absolutely love her. And let's be honest, those are movies that don't get the nod at the Oscars. The women who have won, like Katheryn Bigelow, do war movies.

• Funny
Reactions: dirtyninety

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm not a fan of Greta (didn't see little women but didn't like Ladybird) but the fans of her absolutely love her. And let's be honest, those are movies that don't get the nod at the Oscars. The women who have won, like Katheryn Bigelow, do war movies.

Katheryn Bigelow is the only female to ever win it. Only five women have ever even been nominated.

Statistically, dramas do best at the Oscars: https://www.filmsite.org/bestpics2.html I think it's just that females don't get any love unless it's a female-biased category.

L

LincolnWay187

What does this have to do with the 2020 Oscar's.... and who cares?
You've never looked back and questioned why past movies won awards? If you dont care about past years, why do you care about this year?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I personally woulda liked to see Cynthia Erivo win over Zellweger. I didn't see Judy but Zellweger usually falls a bit flat for me. Probably not fair of me to say without seeing it, but I have been a big fan of what Erivo has put out recently. Her character in The Outsideri is spectacular. And I'm excited to see her as Aretha Franklin as well.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I personally woulda liked to see Cynthia Erivo win over Zellweger. I didn't see Judy but Zellweger usually falls a bit flat for me. Probably not fair of me to say without seeing it, but I have been a big fan of what Erivo has put out recently. Her character in The Outsideri is spectacular. And I'm excited to see her as Aretha Franklin as well.
She was really good in Judy imho. If you look at Garland near the end of her life, she captured the character pretty well.

Glad 1917 won for cinematography, just blown away how they filmed that thing

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You've never looked back and questioned why past movies won awards? If you dont care about past years, why do you care about this year?
Just random movies that don't have anything to do with this year's movies... No, I guess I don't sit around thinking about that during the Oscar's. Plus I don't remember Black Panther being a big award winner. So again, who cares.

• Agree

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
When I was young & occasionally stayed home due to sickness - I would peruse the limited TV channels at my disposal (which were not very many). At times I would stop on a channel that had a TV Evangelist. I would listen - often because of the music. Incredible vocal and musical talents were on display. THEN, the message from the pulpit would start and, invariably the pleas for money and the sob story of how their ministry was surviving only by a shoestring. They would be preaching the love of Jesus, as they were constantly asking for money. As I talked with my mom about this - she used terms like "thieves" and "hypocrites." They had a right to their opinion, but it was so obvious that they weren't living like the rest of their audience. In fact, this was a common criticism I heard voiced by many non-religious people about "the Church" or general "American Christianity."

My point is this. I had to turn off the Oscars because of a similar thing. These people are extremely talented & hard-working & have a right to their views. But, they are, largely, a bunch of hypocrites. I find it stomach-turning to be preached at the entire night & so I turned it off about 1 hour into it. I hate that the Oscar show has become almost an entire 3 hours of "far-left" (not liberal, but far-left) propaganda. I love hearing different views from my own - but not when there isn't some balance. It's like ONLY watching FOX or MSNBC (or the Televangelist from my childhood) & never considering the other side. Now, had Ricky Gervais hosted, I may have watched the entire thing. Just my two cents worth.

Anyway, congrats to many of the award-winners who provided amazing work (directing, acting, technical work, etc). It really is amazing to go to the theater and see great art! I, however, will decide to watch your performances in the theater but will tune out on Oscar night until the "holier-than-thou" schtick starts to diminish.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
She was really good in Judy imho. If you look at Garland near the end of her life, she captured the character pretty well.

Glad 1917 won for cinematography, just blown away how they filmed that thing
Good to know. I hadn't read anything that made me believe she didn't deserve it, but for one reason or another Zellweger just doesn't do it for me. Again, I know that isn't fair haha. I'm sure I watch Judy with my better half some sunday down the line, and hope that I get proven wrong.

1917 was awesome just in a pure cinematic journey way. It's impossible to watch and not just be in awe of what they are portraying, in such a real way, on the screen.

Reactions: fsanford

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
When I was young & occasionally stayed home due to sickness - I would peruse the limited TV channels at my disposal (which were not very many). At times I would stop on a channel that had a TV Evangelist. I would listen - often because of the music. Incredible vocal and musical talents were on display. THEN, the message from the pulpit would start and, invariably the pleas for money and the sob story of how their ministry was surviving only by a shoestring. They would be preaching the love of Jesus, as they were constantly asking for money. As I talked with my mom about this - she used terms like "thieves" and "hypocrites." They had a right to their opinion, but it was so obvious that they weren't living like the rest of their audience. In fact, this was a common criticism I heard voiced by many non-religious people about "the Church" or general "American Christianity."

My point is this. I had to turn off the Oscars because of a similar thing. These people are extremely talented & hard-working & have a right to their views. But, they are, largely, a bunch of hypocrites. I find it stomach-turning to be preached at the entire night & so I turned it off about 1 hour into it. I hate that the Oscar show has become almost an entire 3 hours of "far-left" (not liberal, but far-left) propaganda. I love hearing different views from my own - but not when there isn't some balance. It's like ONLY watching FOX or MSNBC (or the Televangelist from my childhood) & never considering the other side. Now, had Ricky Gervais hosted, I may have watched the entire thing. Just my two cents worth.

Anyway, congrats to many of the award-winners who provided amazing work (directing, acting, technical work, etc). It really is amazing to go to the theater and see great art! I, however, will decide to watch your performances in the theater but will tune out on Oscar night until the "holier-than-thou" schtick starts to diminish.

I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is going to win any Oscars anytime soon.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Parasite cleaning up thrilled me. Incredible film. Jojo winning adapted made my night. Pitt winning was awesome.

Onto 2021. Movies to watch for. Some not all:

Mank (Fincher)
French Dispatch (Wes Anderson)
Ammonite
Nomadland
Hillbilly Elegy
Tenet (Nolan)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I didn't watch much and agree although I'm not sure if the preaching is really that new.

Besides, nearly every nationally televised football game has lots of political stuff pushed onto viewers from the other side, just more indirectly.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Katheryn Bigelow is the only female to ever win it. Only five women have ever even been nominated.

Statistically, dramas do best at the Oscars: https://www.filmsite.org/bestpics2.html I think it's just that females don't get any love unless it's a female-biased category.

It's like a lot of industries, sometimes even dominated by women at the mid level but far too few at the top.

At my last meeting at a major studio it was led by a woman, six women and two men. These are great jobs but they aren't director, producer, or studio head.

I've worked on products for movies with female directors, but the five times I've actually gotten notes from a director or studio head it was a man. Always shocked they even have time to comment on a toy but they do on rare occasions, unfortunately they like to lob comments during production.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I actually cheered.. by myself.. when JoJo won best adapted. It gave me a little sliver of hope that, hey, maybe this little tortoise could win the race. But once Bong Joon-Ho started raking them in I knew it was over.

Parasite was great, and totally deserved all the acclaim and recognition it got, but I'll be damned if JoJo wasn't just a masterful work of balancing humor, societal issues, raw emotion, and beautiful cinematography.

I forced the wife to watch it with me on Friday night because I knew she would enjoy it and while re-watching I was struck by the beauty of the shots. The color. The headspace. The camera work's inconsistency. Everything. I loved everything about it even more the second time. That is all.

/love for JoJo/Taika rant

Reactions: Angie

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I was happy to see 'American Factory ' win documentary feature, I thought it was great but figured one of the Syria movies would win it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Parasite was great, and totally deserved all the acclaim and recognition it got, but I'll be damned if JoJo wasn't just a masterful work of balancing humor, societal issues, raw emotion, and beautiful cinematography.

I forced the wife to watch it with me on Friday night because I knew she would enjoy it and while re-watching I was struck by the beauty of the shots. The color. The headspace. The camera work's inconsistency. Everything. I loved everything about it even more the second time. That is all.

/love for JoJo/Taika rant

No argument here. And how about Sam Rockwell... guy was unreal.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and srjclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron