O's vs White sox

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've seen European soccer games where they have played empty stadium games as punishment for racist fan behavior and things like that.

This is more of a disaster management situation, but I think it should be used more often as a disciplinary measure. Penn State football was screaming for it as an appropriate punishment a few years back, it would have let the current players and coaches play without directly punishing their team, but would have directly punished the culture that put winning at football above basic decency. People talked about culture so much and it's the only punishment I can think of that would have impacted it.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
It is punishing the Orioles with the loss in ticket sales and concessions. Just a bad situation all around.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It is punishing the Orioles with the loss in ticket sales and concessions. Just a bad situation all around.

Yeah, but nothing you can do probably. If they didn't play the game at all then you're affecting a team from a different city even. I don't think the Os do deserve punishment, just that I've seen it as a punishment for terrible fan culture in Euro soccer but it wasn't even mentioned as an option for PSU.

I wonder if they'd prefer keeping their schedule in tact this way, or postponing the game(s). Obviously the Sox probably prefer this.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
[video]https://vine.co/v/e7Z0T35Xg2n[/video]

That is pretty funny stuff. Got to love the sense of humor.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Yeah, but nothing you can do probably. If they didn't play the game at all then you're affecting a team from a different city even. I don't think the Os do deserve punishment, just that I've seen it as a punishment for terrible fan culture in Euro soccer but it wasn't even mentioned as an option for PSU.

I wonder if they'd prefer keeping their schedule in tact this way, or postponing the game(s). Obviously the Sox probably prefer this.
Not a punishment at all, its about safety. I'm sure the Sox just want to get out of there.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not a punishment at all, its about safety. I'm sure the Sox just want to get out of there.

Just looked up in '92 the Dodgers suspended an entire 3 game home series with Montreal.

The Lakers postponed one playoff game against Portland and moved another against Utah to Anaheim.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I wonder if business interruption insurance would cover lost ticket sales (and if they have it.)

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Probably could have handled it as double-headers when they next meet in Baltimore. That seems like less of a punishment for doing nothing wrong than playing in front of nobody.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Probably could have handled it as double-headers when they next meet in Baltimore. That seems like less of a punishment for doing nothing wrong than playing in front of nobody.
I had this thought as well.

What about the next series too? 3 games moved. Ouch. You'd think there has to be a triple A park or something in the area they could use instead of completely losing all revenue.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
What gets me is that there are enough concerns about security and civil unrest that they prohibit the public from attending, but they let the game go on anyway. Sounds like a mixed message to me.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What gets me is that there are enough concerns about security and civil unrest that they prohibit the public from attending, but they let the game go on anyway. Sounds like a mixed message to me.

It's a lot easier to safeguard a couple of charter buses. than to provide the safety for whatever the attendance of a O's game is. That's my guess anyway.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's a lot easier to safeguard a couple of charter buses. than to provide the safety for whatever the attendance of a O's game is. That's my guess anyway.

They specifically said they didn't want anything breaking out in or around the stadium. It's just a powder keg around there right now.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
They specifically said they didn't want anything breaking out in or around the stadium. It's just a powder keg around there right now.

This. It's a pretty logical solution. You can't send 30,000 fans - including kids/families - down into that mess.

Not sure why they couldn't make this game up as a doubleheader down the road

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Probably could have made this up as a doubleheader at some point. In any event, I wish I could have been at the game as a photographer. That would have been a kind of eerie atmosphere and not one that there would be many opportunities to work in.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Probably could have made this up as a doubleheader at some point. In any event, I wish I could have been at the game as a photographer. That would have been a kind of eerie atmosphere and not one that there would be many opportunities to work in.

That's what they are doing for the first two games of the series. They are playing them in late may. The Sox don't go to Baltimore again this season, so just adding this game as a double header wouldn't work.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
That's what they are doing for the first two games of the series. They are playing them in late may. The Sox don't go to Baltimore again this season, so just adding this game as a double header wouldn't work.

40 miles away, Nationals Park was empty. Could have moved the game there. You could avoid Molotov cocktails and had fans watch the game. Win-win!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron