Only 1-7 team with no pressure on the head coach

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
People like to bring up what Danny Mac did after 2003, but the reality is he didn't get the job done. 2005 and 2006 season were failures and 2004 was also to some degree. Using the Dan Mac example is a poor one.

LOL!!

In 2005, we started 3-0 (beat Iowa), won 4 straight conference games and played in a bowl game.

In 2004, we won 4 straight conference games and won a bowl game.

Failure.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
LOL!!

In 2005, we started 3-0 (beat Iowa), won 4 straight conference games and played in a bowl game.

And started conference play 0-3. And lost 3 overtime games. And gave Baylor their first ever road win in Big 12 conference history. FIRST. EVER.

I'm not saying 2005 was a "failure," but it was Dan's most talented overall team that he just completely whizzed away.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Oh there's pressure, you think CPR likes to lose like this? No I doubt it. Good thing is there is a lot to work on in the off season to help guys improve and get better. Yes this season is in the crapper, but I like the young guys and the guys we got coming in. We just need an identity on offense, anything.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
And started conference play 0-3. And lost 3 overtime games. And gave Baylor their first ever road win in Big 12 conference history. FIRST. EVER.

I'm not saying 2005 was a "failure," but it was Dan's most talented overall team that he just completely whizzed away.
. Me and the mrs. Were there or the Baylor game that year and was absolutely shocked.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
LOL!!

In 2004, we won 4 straight conference games and won a bowl game.

Failure.
In 2004 we had an incredibly easy schedule. Only team we beat with a winning record was Northern Illinois (barely). Then it came down to if we beat a bad Missouri team at the end of the year at home we win the Big 12 North. We choked that away. Bowl win was nice but the team we played wasn't that good.

In 2005 we choked 3 very winnable games away in overtime and gave Baylor their first ever Big 12 road win. Also, once again it came down to if we beat Kansas, we win the North. Ended up failing once again. Pretty sad we couldn't win that division when it was complete garbage those 2 years.

Lastly, there is nothing to defend with 2006.

With all of that, Dan did not get the job done after 2003.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I think every isu fb coach should be entitled to a mulligan. Hoping to still get 2 more wins this year but this team has seemed to mail it in.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Why dont you just go back to UNI and root. We are having a bad year with key injuries to our players who are B12 caliber and everybody has to have the blood of coaches. Some fans are just plain sickening. I understand wanting a winner but think about where we are at, where we have been and what we should have to look forward to. Too many posters sound like a bunch of crybabies.

Key injuries to our players wasn't an excuse in the first game of the year while the FCS team in the place you're telling him to go back to kicked our *** six ways to Sunday.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
So that allows you to **** and moan about the team. I have been a fan since 1982 and lived through Donnie Duncan, Jim Criner, Walden... We have a coach who is committed to us and willing to stay if he can get it turned around. He has been to bowl games 3 out of 4 years and has exorcised many demons we have had for years. How about cutting him some slack and let him do his thing. As I said, TOO MANY CRYBABIES ON THIS SITE.

If you've truly been around since 1982, then you certainly understand that in the year 2013, "bowl games 3 out of 4 years" is not much of an accomplishment. Bowl games are participation medals now, and this year we're so bad that we won't even get a participation medal. You'd better come at me bro with more to puff your chest out about than a few seventh-tier bowl games.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Key injuries to our players wasn't an excuse in the first game of the year while the FCS team in the place you're telling him to go back to kicked our *** six ways to Sunday.

Farniock getting knocked out of the UNI game most definitely hurt ISU in that game.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
If you've truly been around since 1982, then you certainly understand that in the year 2013, "bowl games 3 out of 4 years" is not much of an accomplishment. Bowl games are participation medals now, and this year we're so bad that we won't even get a participation medal. You'd better come at me bro with more to puff your chest out about than a few seventh-tier bowl games.

Yep. There are 35 bowl games this year. 70 teams are playing post season ball. And we aren't one of them. Not even close.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
One thing is for sure. If Rhoads pulls a nine win season out of his *** next year, many of us are going to be embarrassed by the inevitable bumping of this thread.

To CYA a little bit, let me state that I don't think Rhoads needs to be fired. (Unless he fails to fire Messingham.)

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Farniock getting knocked out of the UNI game most definitely hurt ISU in that game.

I don't deny that it hurt badly. But losing one player and having your team go to plaid badly enough to get your *** kicked on your home turf by a team that has shown itself to be an FCS pretender is a pretty damn big indictment against the program.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't deny that it hurt badly. But losing one player and having your team go to plaid badly enough to get your *** kicked on your home turf by a team that has shown itself to be an FCS pretender is a pretty damn big indictment against the program.

I dont disagree with that at all. Im not saying that was the key difference in the UNI game, but it was very obvious it was a difference maker.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA

tumblr_m7zl1vsdtS1rplo8do1_500.jpg

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009

So true about bowl games being nothing more than participation medals.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
I find the people on this site hilarious. People arguing about how long they've been fans of the program. "I've been a fan since 2000 and this might be the worst season I've seen." "well I've been a fan since 1982 and have seen worse days, this isn't our worst season." "oh yea? Well I've been a fan since 1963 and have seen the darkest ages in cyclone football and this is nowhere close to it."

I guess I didn't realize that it was a contest to see who witnessed the worst isu football. We suck, we suck something awful. I don't think anyone can disagree with that. I don't care how long you've been a cyclone fan and what the worst games or seasons you've witnessed are, we should be looking at trying to improve the program. I get that some people think he should be fired or at least have his seat hot and I get where people want to give him a couple more seasons. Just wish people would look at what's best for the program in the long run and not say he should be fired out of frustration or compare this season to a previous season. College football is a different game than it used to be, and yes people might have seen some awful games in the past but that doesn't mean we should look at these blowouts as not being any worse than they are simply because isu (one of the worst bcs schools in history) has had worse ones in our past.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I find the people on this site hilarious. People arguing about how long they've been fans of the program. "I've been a fan since 2000 and this might be the worst season I've seen." "well I've been a fan since 1982 and have seen worse days, this isn't our worst season." "oh yea? Well I've been a fan since 1963 and have seen the darkest ages in cyclone football and this is nowhere close to it."

I guess I didn't realize that it was a contest to see who witnessed the worst isu football. We suck, we suck something awful. I don't think anyone can disagree with that. I don't care how long you've been a cyclone fan and what the worst games or seasons you've witnessed are, we should be looking at trying to improve the program. I get that some people think he should be fired or at least have his seat hot and I get where people want to give him a couple more seasons. Just wish people would look at what's best for the program in the long run and not say he should be fired out of frustration or compare this season to a previous season. College football is a different game than it used to be, and yes people might have seen some awful games in the past but that doesn't mean we should look at these blowouts as not being any worse than they are simply because isu (one of the worst bcs schools in history) has had worse ones in our past.

From my perspective, which covers decades (about 50 years of being an ISU fan), everyone should take a chill pill. This season has not been good. No argument. But CPR is still the right man for the job. Changes will be made. But the time for making those changes will be when this season is over. CPR is the same coach that we were worried about being able to keep just a year or so ago.

I have confidence that things will get better. Right now we are seeing the results from the end of the Chizik era recruiting and the first results from the short recruiting season of CPR's first year. Recruiting misses in Linebackers and DL from those first couple classes and the fact that Jake Knott and AJ Klein had to play right away and not RS. On the offensive side, we have a definite OC problem. Messingham is OC and we have two more former OC as position coaches. Because of our anemic offense, it appears that we are taking a bit from here and a bit from there in the hope that something thrown against the wall will stick. And it doesn't. We make crucial mistakes at crucial times. This offense seems to require excellent play at QB which we definitely are not getting. We do have some talent but the coaching staff is not putting our players in a position where they can succeed. At this point, I wonder if Jared Barnett is having second thoughts about transferring. I would be willing to bet that he would be starting right now.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
Has recruiting really improved? If so, what is the basis for all the talk about so much young talent that hasn't played meaningful minutes on the field. It's good to be optimistic, but positive results are the only thing that matter. There are plenty of "bad" teams that are young that turn out to be "bad" teams with a lot of seniors.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron