On That Note: Give Us Your Keys

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
1940 original (8 to the bar = boogie woogie). Freddy “Daddy” Slack on the piano.

1940, same song. The Andrews Sisters had a big hit with Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, not long after — written by the same group above. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy was still played occasionally on AM radio in the 1970s — on pop stations, early (1950s) Rock and Roll otherwise being the limit pretty much.

1940, Glenn Miller

Maybe 1941 to 1944. It says “Major” Glenn Miller and “Sgt.” Ray McKinley (the singer in the first version at the top, and coauthor of the song). So without researching this in detail, this is by the group assembled by the armed forces, I presume, so I guess one of the best orchestras ever. Glenn Miller died in plane crash in December 1944, over the English Channel I believe trying to get to Paris ASAP to put on a show for the troops.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Ruminating n the Beatles and who played what:

Thanks for the replies and interest. I used to have Lewisohn's recording sessions but that book seemed to have disappeared years ago (I need to get it again), and by memory I don't think he always got into the song by song muscianship-not on all of them anyway. I could be wrong but I just don't think anyone at the time thought to catalogue who played what, although some albums would identify some pieces of the lineup (e.g., Rubber Soul, Help). In addition, John, Paul, and George were all multi instrumentalists, and accomplished guitarists and when they got big in the studio, their songs were a little more complicated and things would sometimes get mixed in.

Unlike all the "guitar heroes" in his wake, including his friend Eric Clapton, George Harrison didn't have a particular style or signature. Instead, he played a lot of different styles (e.g., Travis picking, slide), while being at the forefront of what we know now as rock music. I mean, he and the band were kind of defining it with each new album. I believe his mutability as a musician speaks to his great talent. That said, we know he plays lead on most (but not all) their songs, and rhythm on a lot more, but even lead and rhythm are not always well defined.

So, I don't know that there will ever be a definite source on this. I'm probably stuck on the guides, such as they are, and comments from others now on the internet (Beatles Bible), and on my ears.

Listening to What Goes On this morning. A very funky rhythm guitar (my guess is John, but it could be George) and then a beautiful country-style lead from George. Not on everyone's listing but I like it.

Reactions: cyclones500

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Alright, I may have posted this on another topic, but this great video keeps popping up when I go to youtube and I like it and the keys take us off (I think it's Ian McLagan), and of course Steve Marriott's powerful vocal. The Small Faces.

Last edited:

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Alright, I may have posted this on another topic, but this great video keeps popping up when I go to youtube and I like it and the keys take us off (I think it's Ian McLagan), and of course Steve Marriott's powerful vocal. The Small Faces.

Damn it. I said I was done but your Small Faces song made me think of this Faces Tune.

Reactions: matclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron