Oliver Martin Enters Transfer Portal

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not to get back on subject, but you are actually defending this? I agree with @CyTwins more times than not, but he has officially entered the Twilight Zone on this subject.

In case you guys forgot, Michigan recruits at a much higher level than Iowa State. Are you guys really this full of yourselves now that you wouldnt take a skill player from Michigan?
Let me see if I can explain that “recruits at a much higher rate” to you. Sure, there are some Michigan players I’d love to have—mostly on defense.

Take former mega recruit Donovan Peoples-Jone, a very talented guy. His numbers last year were 47 catches for 612 yards and 8 touchdowns.

I ask you. Would you have traded him and Hakeem last year?

Then there is also former mega-recruit Shea Patterson, U of M’s quarterback. In a full season, his numbers last year at Michigan were 210 of 325 att for 2608 yards, 22 TD’s and 7 INT’s.

Considerably lower rated Brock Pudy’s numbers were 246 of 229 for 2258 yards, 16 TD’s and 7 INT’s. In what, eight games? As a true freshman.

Again, would you trade?

(Both of those stat lines come with the caveat that I can’t read the print on my Athlon mag very well)

In any case—are you sure that “higher profile” recruits are “better”?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As for Martin, Dowling took care of him, he's not that big a deal.

I agree. Saw him play twice in high school, and he didn't even stand out on the field at all. In fact, dropped several key passes.

He could end up proving me wrong, but I think he's just an average college WR most likely.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
What wrs are better than him on ISU roster and why? Honest question now that butler is gone.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
What wrs are better than him on ISU roster and why? Honest question now that butler is gone.

Jones, Milton, Pettway, Akers, and Wilson have all proven more on a college field. Then you have Scates, Shaw, and several incoming freshmen that have proven just as little on a college field but have the same/higher upside.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Just curious on how this works. There were reports about this kid transferring to Iowa before he even announced he was transferring or entering the portal. So did Iowa tamper with a kid committed to an different school? What gives. Seemed like people knew he was going to Iowa before he bailed at Michigan.

• Informative
Reactions: Statefan10

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Just curious on how this works. There were reports about this kid transferring to Iowa before he even announced he was transferring or entering the portal. So did Iowa tamper with a kid committed to an different school? What gives. Seemed like people knew he was going to Iowa before he bailed at Michigan.

It all started one night in a bar....

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Jones, Milton, Pettway, Akers, and Wilson have all proven more on a college field. Then you have Scates, Shaw, and several incoming freshmen that have proven just as little on a college field but have the same/higher upside.

So the players on Iowa roster, who have produced about as much as your guys in a different type of offense, have the same or higher upside than Martin because he had a pedestrian rs Freshman year in a run heavy offensive attack....

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
So the players on Iowa roster, who have produced about as much as your guys in a different type of offense, have the same or higher upside than Martin because he had a pedestrian rs Freshman year in a run heavy offensive attack....

So, not an honest question. Got it. If you're happy with Iowa's receiving corps, so am I. I don't think you have two NFL-ready TEs to make Stanley look mediocre this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins and Cycsk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And ISU has no NFL RB or WR this year either.
There are a couple of guys at each of those positions that have the potential to be NFL caliber players. Hakeem and Montgomery both didn't have break out seasons until their second years. We have two top 20 RB's coming onto the roster, and WR's with a huge upside. Also Purdy made numerous amounts of plays on his own and threw the ball a lot to guys not named Hakeem Butler and David Montgomery.

Reactions: cyfan10