Oldest piece of "technology" that you own/used recently

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Probably my HP 15C calculator. I got it in college in the early '80s and still use it every day at work. Love that reverse polish notation.
Do any calculators still use that ? Once you got used to it you could fly.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Remember how much we had to save up for those suckers? Now you get 100x calculating capability from a $10 knock-off.

As I said earlier, I still use my HP25 daily at work. It's a great calculator with gold contacts that'll never wear out. I had to replace the battery pack with regular AA's but it runs great.

My very first calculator (1974) was a Commodore that cost $30 but all it could do was simple arithmetic. It didn't have floating decimal, only a little switch that lit up a fixed decimal point two over for doing money calculations.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
In the last year...a VCR.

I'll be willing to bet that most of the posters on here have not used the PC precursors that I have used in the course of my student and/or working life:

the first PONG game on our block
an IBM Seletrix portable typewriter with a correction cartridge
a DecWriter
a Wang Word Processor
a keypunch
a data recorder (2nd gen keypunch)

And OMG - no color TV until I was 12, no touch-tone phone till I was 14.

I saved up baling, bean-walking, and de-tasseling (sp?) money one summer to buy a crappy 8 inch black and white tv for my room when I was a kid. Pretty sure we didn't have a push button phone til I was in high school either. Of course, you only had to dial 4 numbers to call someone in town until I was possibly a junior in high school. I'm not even 40 yet....I'm on my way to crotchety old man already.

The original Super Mario Brothers on the old Nintendo is still as fun now as it was then. I can still beat it without dying, too. For N64, Dr Mario is the equivalent of cocaine.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I saved up baling, bean-walking, and de-tasseling (sp?) money one summer to buy a crappy 8 inch black and white tv for my room when I was a kid. Pretty sure we didn't have a push button phone til I was in high school either. Of course, you only had to dial 4 numbers to call someone in town until I was possibly a junior in high school. I'm not even 40 yet....I'm on my way to crotchety old man already.

The original Super Mario Brothers on the old Nintendo is still as fun now as it was then. I can still beat it without dying, too. For N64, Dr Mario is the equivalent of cocaine.

It was like that in Huxley when I first moved there...local phone co-op for Huxley, Slater & Kelley, so just four digits. With the advent of personal faxes & internet, that died out. Too many lines.

Did you ever see the space ship pick up the viruses on Dr Mario? I played that game for hours after my boys went to bed. ;)

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I regularly use a 1963 Fisher 500c Tube Amp with my 2 channel source music. Sound quality beats anything that is created today. I paid to have it completely rebuilt.

fisher-500-c.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! Tubes rock music like nothing else.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I used a scientific instrument (Latchet in-line spectrophotometer for you chemistry folks out there) from the 1980's that runs on a computer from 1993, sporting Windows 3.1. To get my data I have to export it on to a 3.5" floppy, move that data on a second computer from the 3.5" floppy to USB, then transfer that USB to my regular work computer.

At home, the oldest piece of electronics I own is likely my Gamecube, or my Garmin etrex Vista Hcx GPS unit (it's now my cycling computer)

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I break out the PlayStation and play Crash Bandicoot from time to time. Maybe even break out Spyro, but only if I have time.