Ohio State

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I honestly don’t have any idea how you think that “playing an extra round” solves the issue that the B1G and the Pac12 screwed up. tOSU doesn’t have enough games regardless.

No need to reward those conferences for their dumbassery.
Dumbassery? Lets see. Is that in Websters?

Haha! I just thought that was funny! :D

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Right now they do not deserve a top 10 spot based on resume, but if they beat MSU, UM, then NW and go 7-0, who will have a great case based on resume?
- IF Miami beats UNC, maybe - Clemson is the only good team they played and they got handled
- IF A&M wins out, maybe - One really good win vs. Florida, got handled by Bama, no other wins vs. ranked teams
-IF Cincy beats Tulsa this week, that will be their only good win.
-IF Florida loses to Bama in the title game, they'll have two losses, with one win vs. a ranked team (Georgia)
-IF ISU runs the table, maybe, IF LA and OSU win out and remain ranked. UT wins out and gets back in the rankings. Then you'd have two losses vs. teams in the final ranking, and three wins vs. teams in the final rankings.

So in a world that's realistic for each team, record vs. teams in the final CFP rankings might be:
- OSU 2-0 (assuming NW and Indiana don't collapse and fall out)
- A&M 1-1
- Cincy 0-0
-Miami 1-1 (assuming they beat UNC, and UNC stays in)
- Florida 1-2
-ISU 3-2 (assuming OSU and LA stay in, and UT gets back in - all realistic)

Despite all the talking heads, you can see why ISU is ranked in the top 10. This also shows why it would be the perfect year to have an 8 team playoff!

Lots of things for ISU fans to root for:
- Losses by OSU, or at least chaos like losses by NW and Indiana to weaken their resume
- Tulsa over Cincy
- Auburn over A&M
- ND over Clemson
- UNC over Miami
- Bama over Florida in the SEC title game
-Louisiana over Coastal
-UT to beat the Kansases
"A" for effort and content AuH2O! Well thought out. :)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I have no doubt Ohio State is good enough to win a 4-team playoff this season. But if ISU had the exact resume as OSU, do you think we'd be #4 right now?

A: Highly unlikely.

So what gives?
Have you not been listening!

Haha, just kiddin' 500.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
For people who love the cute little t in tOSU, check this:

tISUoSaT

Also the helmets could be big SCIENCE on one side and TECHNOLOGY on the other side.
Haha! That's the spirit! Think outside the box! Enjoyed that.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I mostly agree with you except it really should be expanded to 8. It is only adding one more game for the teams and it gives each major conference a chance to get in rather than leaving at least one on the sidelines as well as giving a G5 or two a chance when they have a great season. I agree with the poster(s) above that the current 4 team format really gives even an undefeated G5 team zero chance of ever playing for a championship.
Agreed. https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/stans-herbstreit-column.260295/page-3#post-7448492
"...go to eight teams. Talked about before. You could do it two ways: 1) Seed the top 8, then #1 plays 8, 2 vs. 7, etc., three rounds. Or, 2) Continue to have the top 4 play each other in the first 2 rounds, just like now. Seeds 5-8 also play two rounds, each other. After 2 rounds of that, the Final (round 3). You have one team from the top 4 playing one team from the next 4, winner take all.

I like option 2 best? You'd still get the excitement of the two games from top 4. Plus the Final game would verify the champion from an initial list of 8 schools instead of 4. The final might not be as good as the semi-final top 4 game, but someone in the top 8 still has an outside chance of going all the way. Kind of convoluted but works for me."

Another reason I like option 2, is that you would never get the #1 playing #8, #2 vs. 7, #3 vs. 6, and #4 vs. 5. If you were a #8 seed, had a great season, the last thing you might want is for your first playoff game (and likely final game) to have to play the #1 seed! Same for #2 vs. #7. It would be very unfair for the #8 and #7 teams. Give them a chance to go another round, and maybe all the way!

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Oh no sorry I should have added that. I don't think 4 is the best. Just saying if they really wanted 4 only they should have just stuck with the BCS formula and expanded to top-4.

I actually like a 6-team playoff with the top-2 getting byes.

1) It allows fair chance for all P5 conference winners to get in and still a enough wiggle room to represent the best G5.
2) It keeps the entire season important still (because that's always the big knock on expanding). You want that bye and those final two weeks will absolutely impact that. Like for instance right now, the Big 12 title game is just a game barring something absolutely insane. Imagine if it was for a guaranteed spot in the playoff on the line. All of a sudden that game just got a heck of a lot more interesting. Or that Clemson/ND rematch is for a bye in the playoffs?

Nothing earth-shattering that I typed because it's been posed before by many. But I think 6 is the perfect balance.
Also agreed. Top six would be a really good compromise.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
What do you think HS happened to Toledo? They have been on a steady decline the past few years
Its been crazy. They did win league since CMC left. Recruiting still solid. Another year I think they were using 3rd string QB due to injuries. Not a trend up or down, just all over the place.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I wish the Bear would ask Herbie on Gameday why tOSU should be ranked ahead of ISU?

Just demand that he actually compare the two resumes and explain it.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
F it, if OSU gets cancelled next weekend due to Michigan Covid problems. Let’s invite them to our backyard and wax them at jack trice. Show the playoff committee who really deserves that 4 spot. If OSU fans and supporters truly think they’re deserving they’d try and prove it.

Reactions: CYme

mp444

Nov 4, 2014
Teams that Ohio State has held to more than 4 points below their season average: there aren't any.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
[
Chad Liestekow just said on the radio if Michigan cant play tOSU, the B1G could pull Maryland out of their game vs Rutgers to play tOSU to get them eligible for B1G championship.
LOL.
Not sure who the other Hawk guy is on KXNO on Wed. night, but I got in the car and one of them was trashing the Big 10 for how it's handled all of this, and then said when he tried to watch Big 10 games this Saturday it was "just plain bad football."

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
[
Not sure who the other Hawk guy is on KXNO on Wed. night, but I got in the car and one of them was trashing the Big 10 for how it's handled all of this, and then said when he tried to watch Big 10 games this Saturday it was "just plain bad football."
Mark Emmert

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Coastal Carolina now playing BYU this weekend after Liberty had COVID issues. BYU gets their chance. If they humiliate Coastal on the road that would at least give them a bit of ammo to move up.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agreed. https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/stans-herbstreit-column.260295/page-3#post-7448492
"...go to eight teams. Talked about before. You could do it two ways: 1) Seed the top 8, then #1 plays 8, 2 vs. 7, etc., three rounds. Or, 2) Continue to have the top 4 play each other in the first 2 rounds, just like now. Seeds 5-8 also play two rounds, each other. After 2 rounds of that, the Final (round 3). You have one team from the top 4 playing one team from the next 4, winner take all.

I like option 2 best? You'd still get the excitement of the two games from top 4. Plus the Final game would verify the champion from an initial list of 8 schools instead of 4. The final might not be as good as the semi-final top 4 game, but someone in the top 8 still has an outside chance of going all the way. Kind of convoluted but works for me."

Another reason I like option 2, is that you would never get the #1 playing #8, #2 vs. 7, #3 vs. 6, and #4 vs. 5. If you were a #8 seed, had a great season, the last thing you might want is for your first playoff game (and likely final game) to have to play the #1 seed! Same for #2 vs. #7. It would be very unfair for the #8 and #7 teams. Give them a chance to go another round, and maybe all the way!
I don't get why it is fairer for the #4 seed to have to play the #1 seed right off the bat and if they win their reward is to play the #2 or #3 seed while the #5 seed would play the #8 seed and their reward for winning would be to play the #6 or #7 seed. Here are the easiest, chalk and hardest routes to the championship for those teams in your scenario:

Easiest
#4 plays #1, #3, #8 (not likely)
#5 plays #8, #7, #1

Other games go chalk
#4 plays #1, #2, #5
#5 plays #8, #6, #1

Hardest
#4 plays #1, #2, #5
#5 plays #8, #6, #1

In every scenario a team (5 seed) is rewarded for being a worse team than another team (4 seed). Actually, the 5 seed is given an easier route than any of the top 4 seeds. That just doesn't make sense.

Only Iowa fans would be disappointed that their top 8 team got a chance to prove it on the field if they were a 5-8 seed in a playoff.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't get why it is fairer for the #4 seed to have to play the #1 seed right off the bat and if they win their reward is to play the #2 or #3 seed while the #5 seed would play the #8 seed and their reward for winning would be to play the #6 or #7 seed. Here are the easiest, chalk and hardest routes to the championship for those teams in your scenario:

Easiest
#4 plays #1, #3, #8 (not likely)
#5 plays #8, #7, #1

Other games go chalk
#4 plays #1, #2, #5
#5 plays #8, #6, #1

Hardest
#4 plays #1, #2, #5
#5 plays #8, #6, #1

In every scenario a team (5 seed) is rewarded for being a worse team than another team (4 seed). Actually, the 5 seed is given an easier route than any of the top 4 seeds. That just doesn't make sense.

Only Iowa fans would be disappointed that their top 8 team got a chance to prove it on the field if they were a 5-8 seed in a playoff.
Well my scenario #2 as you deftly renumerated above, is more unfair to the top 4 seeds yes. You are right. That's why it will never happen. Scenario #1 is the standard and most fair. The top seeds should have the easier route to the final.

My thinking was a novel, something different with option #2. Mainly I was thinking of two things. With option #2 you will still have the top 4 play in the first 2 rounds, just like now, so what's the harm. They, the top 4, would just continue doing what they are already are doing. They would just add a final game (round 3) at the end against a #5-8 team.

My second thought is that a #7 or 8 seeded team (maybe ISU could still fall into that category), after having a great season, would have to play a #1 or 2 seed in their first game, in option 1. Chances of winning that lone first game are less. If they played their first game against a #5 or 6 team,option 2, they would have a better chance of winning.

Currently, in a 4 team playoff system, a #7 or 8 team would be invited to a nice bowl against a similarly ranked team. They wouldn't have to play a #1 or 2 in their Bowl. And they would actually have a chance of winning their lone Bowl game.

That's my thought pattern anyway. Just thinking outside the box. And like I said, my favorite, option 2, would never happen. Your reaction proved it.

Last edited:

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Prime Minister Barta and the biased media will see to it that tOSU gets in regardless of the # of games played.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The issue is the top 12 thing to me. Sounds great on paper and maybe they wouldn't but it's just ripe for them to slot the best G5 at number 13.

10 conference champ. 6 at large. No more than 3 from a single conference
Eh I don't think that would happen. At that point those schools and leagues in the G5 would have a serious lawsuit with real data to back it up. I am not a fan of giving an auto-bid to a MWC that may go 8-4 or 7-5. And that goes for any conference, just picked a random G5 conference. But it applies to the P5 too.

That's just how I feel though.
Agree with jcisu above if go 16 teams. On other hand 16 teams is a lot of games for amateur athletes to have to play. Four teams would have to play 3 games each and the final two would have played 4 games to figure a national champ.

Sombody making a lot of money, none of it to the student athletes. Another argument I guess.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Agree with jcisu above if go 16 teams. On other hand 16 teams is a lot of games for amateur athletes to have to play. Four teams would have to play 3 games each and the final two would have played 4 games to figure a national champ.

Sombody making a lot of money, none of it to the student athletes. Another argument I guess.

Speaking as a father of three college age students, a full ride schollie with training table seems like payment!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I saw Herbie play in person when he was a Buckeye. I saw him lead his Buckeyes to a 14-21 defeat at the hands of the Georgia Bulldogs in the 1993 Citrus Bowl. Later that night, he was able to watch Alabama beat Miami (Fla.) in the Sugar Bowl to win the National Championship.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron