*** Official West Virginia Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Listening to KXNO today and Jared Stansbury has nothing to say about the Cyclones, just like Chris has been doing lately. They claim there's nothing to analyze or talk about which is complete BS. It's just that the only thing to talk about at this point is the poor coaching, but they don't want to say anything bad about Prohm. Just because it make you uncomfortable doesn't mean there's nothing to talk about when it comes to ISU mens basketball.

Or, they've talked about it in other podcasts, and don't need to keep talking about it, since there's really nothing more to discuss.

There's actually been some real nice growth in some areas especially with returning players so there's (gasp!) potential for improvement next season.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We spent 2 years of scholarship on a 1 year of play 3rd guard? I was complimentary of Nixon in the game thread during the game. He had a great game. He shot lights outs, and him shooting lights out, along with our effort and wvu being in a horrible offensive funk for basically the entire year made it so it was a close game instead of a blowout loss. You do remember we lost for the 18th time this year, and that prohm will have yet another year worse than McDermott? Sorry, I'm not going to parade around moral victories of our senior guard we spent 2 years of scholarships on finally having a good shooting game in another loss and the team finally showing grit and effort in the last home game of the season as some rosy thing to be super excited about.

Things to be excited about:

Bolton and Young have put together a decent season. If they take the next step they could have really good years next year. Jackson is starting to become a solid player. Could be due for a break out sophomore year.

Time will tell for conditt and grill. Both have shown good effort and flashes, but they also combined for 3 rebounds, 0 assists, and 0 points last night, so they still might be a year away.

Don't be sorry. That's a badly managed scholarship

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Imagine having your life’s priorities so out of whack, you’re angry a small market local radio host doesn’t rip on the coach you hate more than anything in the world.
I personally think ISU athletics and especially basketball would be better served if Chris Williams would get a real job, and Cyclone fanatic forums would disappear.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
People are frustrated and I get that. I just think wishing radio hosts would talk negatively about the program is not exactly what's needed here. All of them have given their opinions before and they haven't changed since then. At this point it would cause unneeded drama.

Some people might not understand that these coaches are literally coaching for their jobs every year. If they do poor one year, the next year is critical for improvement. One bad year does more damage than a great year does improvement. Prohm knows this. He knows next year all eyes will be on him as far as Jamie Pollard and the boosters go, and even a majority of the fans. If things don't go well, his seat will be on fire and his job could even be on the line.
Oh no. I hope the coach we have committed 10+ million dollars to will be able to make it by in life without having a job. If he gets fired this year I hope the 6 million we owe him gets him by until he can find a new job.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Oh no. I hope the coach we have committed 10+ million dollars to will be able to make it by in life without having a job. If he gets fired this year I hope the 6 million we owe him gets him by until he can find a new job.

At least you have shown you're dishonest

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
At least you have shown you're dishonest
How so, because I get that it's a high stress high paying job where performance is everything? He negotiated his contract to protect him if he fails, as do all coaches. Will I have wished it worked out and, yes, because that means we as a program are having success, but I'm certainly not going to feel bad the coach who negotiated millions in buy out for early termination gets terminated and thus gets millions of dollars. Do you understand how this all works? Is there a reason I should feel bad for him personally? He's already made enough money to last his family forever.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
How so, because I get that it's a high stress high paying job where performance is everything? He negotiated his contract to protect him if he fails, as do all coaches. Will I have wished it worked out and, yes, because that means we as a program are having success, but I'm certainly not going to feel bad the coach who negotiated millions in buy out for early termination gets terminated and thus gets millions of dollars. Do you understand how this all works? Is there a reason I should feel bad for him personally? He's already made enough money to last his family forever.

No one is asking you to feel bad for him. No one has ever asked you to feel bad for him.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Absolutely - it's easy to see him force something up a few times a game and miss that he's becoming a better distributor as he gets more comfortable having the ball in his hands. It's not something that happens quickly. I really disagree with the folks on here that would like to see Jackson get more run as the primary ball handler and PG. I think Jackson can do it if needed, but I think Jackson is suited to be off the ball. Jackson is a better pure ball handler than Bolton, but it's a lot easier to initiate offense when you have space to operate. Watch guys defend Jackson vs. Bolton. Bolton's first step quickness demands space from defenders. I think Jackson will be a very good 3 and D guy that is a good ball handler. But I just don't think he is ever going to be blowing by guys off the dribble. Doesn't mean he will only be a jump shooter, but I do think the offense is best with a guy like Bolton being the primary ball handler.

Also, last night the pick and roll with Bolton and Solo was really effective. Then they started having Solo slip. While I think it is good to vary it and throw it in, it looked to me like after ISU made their run in the second, they ran that slip over and over again, and it wasn't nearly as effective. WVU is not a good team right now, but they can defend. And that pick and roll was really working against them. If looking for a positive, they ran a pick and roll almost exclusively to Bolton's right and a good defensive team really struggled to stop it.
Absolutely loved that pick and roll last night, and I think that can get even better if you include Xavier Foster or an improved Conditt. Bolton's first step is insane and defenders are going to have to give him space.

I also really like Jackson's potential as a 3 and D guy, there are certainly some things to be hopeful for next year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Bolton and Young give me some hope for next year. Conditt takes a bigger step and the freshman get better just takes one or two contributors from a strong recruiting class to be competitive.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Bolton and Young give me some hope for next year. Conditt takes a bigger step and the freshman get better just takes one or two contributors from a strong recruiting class to be competitive.
I would like to see Steve pull a Larry Eustachy and tell Conditt not to touch a basketball and just lift weights the entire off season. IMO - George has gotten worse as the year has gone on. In between sets, teach him how to set a legal ball screen.
I am not kidding. Kid has potential.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I would like to see Steve pull a Larry Eustachy and tell Conditt not to touch a basketball and just lift weights the entire off season. IMO - George has gotten worse as the year has gone on. In between sets, teach him how to set a legal ball screen.
I am not kidding. Kid has potential.
I agree he will go as far as his weight room commitment takes him. He has put some weight on but he still looks a little sloppy and as lean as he was that isn't encouraging. Get his lean muscle mass up and increase his core, you will see his open floor foot speed increase as well as his agility. Would love to see him play a little faster a la McKay.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
While I agree Conditt needs to hit the weights hard this off-season, I hope he spends just as much time working on his footwork and post moves. He’s been clumsy with the ball in the post this year. Footwork is out of sync which has caused numerous travels and turnovers.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Listening to KXNO today and Jared Stansbury has nothing to say about the Cyclones, just like Chris has been doing lately. They claim there's nothing to analyze or talk about which is complete BS. It's just that the only thing to talk about at this point is the poor coaching, but they don't want to say anything bad about Prohm. Just because it make you uncomfortable doesn't mean there's nothing to talk about when it comes to ISU mens basketball.

I hate to say this but ...Sometimes Reality Really "SUCKS".....

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My point to all of that was not that we should feel bad for him. He's getting paid a lot of money here. My point was that he knows this business and how cut-throat it is and how quickly perceptions can change in the span of months. He knows that this bad year is going to shine brighter than the good one he had last year, and that he has to figure it out next year or he may get fired.

And his steps to figure it out for next year have been good so far. He's bringing in a very good recruiting class, he has a transfer sitting out that people are high on, and he's going to have a great opportunity to grab an immediately illegible guy. There are holes on this team in a couple of spots and so far he's filled every single one for next year besides Halliburton's.

If you don't think next year's team is going to be any good and you don't trust Prohm, then fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But don't be one of those fans then that hops back onto the wagon when / if we look promising, because you'll be the first one off of that wagon once adversity hits.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My point to all of that was not that we should feel bad for him. He's getting paid a lot of money here. My point was that he knows this business and how cut-throat it is and how quickly perceptions can change in the span of months. He knows that this bad year is going to shine brighter than the good one he had last year, and that he has to figure it out next year or he may get fired.

And his steps to figure it out for next year have been good so far. He's bringing in a very good recruiting class, he has a transfer sitting out that people are high on, and he's going to have a great opportunity to grab an immediately illegible guy. There are holes on this team in a couple of spots and so far he's filled every single one for next year besides Halliburton's.

If you don't think next year's team is going to be any good and you don't trust Prohm, then fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But don't be one of those fans then that hops back onto the wagon when / if we look promising, because you'll be the first one off of that wagon once adversity hits.

I think we can absolutely look at next years team and have things to be excited about. The development of everyone that returns is vital, but will especially be looking at Conditt, Jackson, and Grill to make some big strides. If Bolton can add a little weight without losing a little quickness, and develop a little better handle, I'd have no complaints about him. Solo was our best big this year, and he'll be back. Just a little more consistency in his senior year would be nice. Then you have Johnson who will contribute at some level, just unclear in what capacity and to what effect.

Could Griffin and/or Lewis be back and improved? Yes, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

That leaves 4 freshmen to be excited about it, all of whom I want to say come in more highly touted that Grill or Jackson did.

Finally, depending on attrition, I'd predict Prohm will have 1-3 schollies to use this spring, to try and acquire at least one guy who can come in and help immediately. That will provide for some interesting story lines come April/May. College Basketball's Free Agent season is going to be especially important for Steve this year, let's just hope he doesn't fall flat like he did in '18 with Nixon.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think we can absolutely look at next years team and have things to be excited about. The development of everyone that returns is vital, but will especially be looking at Conditt, Jackson, and Grill to make some big strides. If Bolton can add a little weight without losing a little quickness, and develop a little better handle, I'd have no complaints about him. Solo was our best big this year, and he'll be back. Just a little more consistency in his senior year would be nice. Then you have Johnson who will contribute at some level, just unclear in what capacity and to what effect.

Could Griffin and/or Lewis be back and improved? Yes, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

That leaves 4 freshmen to be excited about it, all of whom I want to say come in more highly touted that Grill or Jackson did.

Finally, depending on attrition, I'd predict Prohm will have 1-3 schollies to use this spring, to try and acquire at least one guy who can come in and help immediately. That will provide for some interesting story lines come April/May. College Basketball's Free Agent season is going to be especially important for Steve this year, let's just hope he doesn't fall flat like he did in '18 with Nixon.
I agree with everything. No matter what Steve thought Nixon's role was going to be this year, it didn't work out in the end. He can't make that mistake again because if it ends up going wrong, it could cost him his job.

Prohm has to look at next season and think this could be his last season to prove himself. There are fans, like myself, who are another bad year away from giving up hope on him. He can solidify my own beliefs that he can be a good coach while also building back up other fan's beliefs by putting a highly competitive product back out on the floor next year.

Our roster is going to be compiled with juniors, a couple seniors, a couple sophomores, and some highly recruited freshman. There is going to be talent in that group and that group alone should be solid, but in order to compete at the level we expect, he has to get someone this spring who can come in and be a factor. The ball's in Steve's court.