*** Official U18 Euro Championship Thread ***

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Can someone who knows more about the nuances of international U18 hoops tell me if beating Montenegro is in fact HUGE?

I think it's huge in the fact it locked up a place in the quarterfinals and likely a good seed versus the fact it was against Montenegro. Also might just be referring to the fact it was a 15 pt win.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
He's got a ton of potential, but he needs a lot of work on his body and aggressiveness. He's not close to being ready for Big 12 ball.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
He's got a ton of potential, but he needs a lot of work on his body and aggressiveness. He's not close to being ready for Big 12 ball.

Typically Euro players are not real aggressive or physical players. Maybe he will be we will we will have to wait and see.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
If he is a good 3-point shooter, good passer, and a decent defender; his weight won't matter as much (at least for now). He will not be posting anyone up, but he can make the other team's bigs guard him outside, freeing up the middle for our other studs.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
I'm still pretty high on this kid. I know he wont come in and start right away, but I think he will get 10 to 15 minutes a game in Big 12 play. By the time the conference play starts, he will have been in a Big 12 weightroom (and hopefully at Hickory Park) for about 5 months. I don't think it is unreasonable to think by then he may have put 10 to 15 pounds on putting him at about 225 to 230. Remember, he is very young and should be naturally filling out over the next couple years (did you see his dad in Fred's photo!?). Additionally, being underweight isn't necessarily a deal-breaker when you are playing just a few spot minutes here and there, its a bigger concern if you are trying to bang with the big guys all game long.
Tsalbo seems to have a high motor and a good base of skills to work with. CFH will get him to where he needs to be, and playing with Niang and McKay for five months straight will only help him learn more quickly.
He should get plenty of playing time in the non-con because McKay will be out and I anticipate we will have fairly healthy leads in a lot of the games. That should help him adjust to the American style and get him used to playing Hoiball.
Again, he will not be a star as a freshman, but as Matt A. said, they will find a way to use a skilled 7-footer.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
There is no way he averages 10-15 minutes a game. Maybe in blowout games but not for the season.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
I don't know about that. CFH is talking about Niang playing the three this year and guarding smaller guys. Obviously McKay can play bigger than Niang, but other than Edozie, who really probably won't get a lot of minutes either, who can play under Niang on the roster?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't know about that. CFH is talking about Niang playing the three this year and guarding smaller guys. Obviously McKay can play bigger than Niang, but other than Edozie, who really probably won't get a lot of minutes either, who can play under Niang on the roster?

I'd guess that he could be referring to Niang/Nader/Hogue playing together and any of them could be the "3".

Although BDJ-Nader-Niang-McKay-Tsalbo would be a fun lineup.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

He didn't say he was going to start him on the wing only that he cN play him at the wing with bigger lineups. Hogue and Nader can both play a PF spot. Edozie will get minutes over Tsalmpouris early in the season due to experience and defense. Once McKay starts playing there won't be many minutes for either. Think about it
You will have Morris, Niang, BDJ, Hogue all probably gettin about 30 a game then you have Nader, Long, Thomas, McKay who will get plenty of minutes. Not to mention Custer and Dorsey Walker. So how is he getting 10-15 minutes a game on a top 25 team when he even get those minutes on the U18 Greek team??

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think he can and will play this year some. There will be some games like UT and KU I hope he doesn't for his sake. But especially in the noncon against cupcake central and no McKay I hope he gets 15-20 MPG.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
3 points (1/2 3pt, 0/1 2pt), 2 rebounds in IDK how many minutes today in an 85-68 quarterfinal win over Italy

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
I'm still pretty high on this kid. I know he wont come in and start right away, but I think he will get 10 to 15 minutes a game in Big 12 play. By the time the conference play starts, he will have been in a Big 12 weightroom (and hopefully at Hickory Park) for about 5 months. I don't think it is unreasonable to think by then he may have put 10 to 15 pounds on putting him at about 225 to 230. Remember, he is very young and should be naturally filling out over the next couple years (did you see his dad in Fred's photo!?). Additionally, being underweight isn't necessarily a deal-breaker when you are playing just a few spot minutes here and there, its a bigger concern if you are trying to bang with the big guys all game long.
Tsalbo seems to have a high motor and a good base of skills to work with. CFH will get him to where he needs to be, and playing with Niang and McKay for five months straight will only help him learn more quickly.
He should get plenty of playing time in the non-con because McKay will be out and I anticipate we will have fairly healthy leads in a lot of the games. That should help him adjust to the American style and get him used to playing Hoiball.
Again, he will not be a star as a freshman, but as Matt A. said, they will find a way to use a skilled 7-footer.

I don't see him putting on a lot of weight this year. Most of that seems to be done in the off season. Once practice begins and the games start there's not really time to add weight. I think he'll be able to contribute a little bit with where he's at right now, and at the very least gain some experience in the non con, but I don't see any major physical changes for him this season. He is what he is and there's really nothing wrong with that.